• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
savinderpalsingh

Is it ok to listen to morning 5 Bani instead of do?

17 posts in this topic

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa!! WaheGuru Ji ki Fateh !!

All my life till now , I've been doing Japji Sahib only.

I recently started Jaap sahib and rest of Bani's- im not too familiar with Them . it takes me 1.5 hours to do jaap sahib alone . As its hard to read .

Is it ok to listen to morning 5 Bani instead of doing them?

How do i get familiar with Jaap Sahib ? so i can recite it effectively with concentration

For now I have created a Playlist . I listen and read the lines posted on video , i try to recite along with the video .

My Pc is placed higher then where i sit .

It is okay but you get the most benifit out of reading.

It is ok but reading will become a lot quicker if you will read regularly. I recommend take a Gutka Sahib and read side by side. So you can have Gurbani darshan through eyes and listen though ears at the same time.

1 person likes this

It is okay but you get the most benifit out of reading.

It is ok but reading will become a lot quicker if you will read regularly. I recommend take a Gutka Sahib and read side by side. So you can have Gurbani darshan through eyes and listen though ears at the same time.

And since when did you guys know what Sikhi teachings are. Of course you CANNOT do your nitnem by just listening to it on a computer. The maryada is sitting on the floor cross legged with a parna/hazuria around you neck and read the 5 banis with love and concentration from a Gutka Sahib. Even from memory isn't emphazised unless you are doing as lot of Gurbani abyaas. Keep your eyes focused on the Guru Shabad. Let your ears hear your recital. If i don';t see the Gurbani akhar i feel unwell and seperated. The Guru's darshan is essential.

Too many new ages hoody khalsa's with their mp3 players glued to their ears. This isnt nitnem, this isn't abyaas that will bear fruit. Its only sharia law - o'h ive done my 5 bania know i can act like a bad man for the rest of the day.

Edited by PAL 07

And since when did you guys know what Sikhi teachings are. Of course you CANNOT do your nitnem by just listening to it on a computer. The maryada is sitting on the floor cross legged with a parna/hazuria around you neck and read the 5 banis with love and concentration from a Gutka Sahib. Even from memory isn't emphazised unless you are doing as lot of Gurbani abyaas. Keep your eyes focused on the Guru Shabad. Let your ears hear your recital. If i don';t see the Gurbani akhar i feel unwell and seperated. The Guru's darshan is essential.

Too many new ages hoody khalsa's with their mp3 players glued to their ears. This isnt nitnem, this isn't abyaas that will bear fruit. Its only sharia law - o'h ive done my 5 bania know i can act like a bad man for the rest of the day.

Hnji Mahapursho, tusi hi fir ds dvo usnu kive krey thorey samey de vich, I see nothing wrong listening while you are sitting cross-legged and listening to Gurbani and reading at the same time from Gutka Sahib.

Listen.... you will learn soon... n u will learn to do pure path.. without mistakes.. once u will grasp it... then do it from Gutka.... Listen and reading both r equivalent..

In fact when u listen u still try to concentrate on words... but when u read it.. ur mind is somewhere else..n still u r reading... so does not matter... as per convince do it the way u feel comfortable......

Dimag de taar hilne chaida bus path de words naal.. bhave jida marzi karo.. :)

So one cannot have sharda and listen to the bania?They will only be accepted by guru ji if you only read them?When I was at the Amrit sanchar the panj Singh said if you cannot read or if you didn't memorize them then you can listen to them.For the first year I listened to them and after I started reading it.Now my bani is really good.So your telling me that the first year I listened to it I was doing it all wrong?Somebody can be having more prem and sharda while listening to the bania than we think.We don't know the persons inside feelings.

What I can say is not to listen to it while watching tv or on the computer etc.The best way to learn is listen to the Babi while following it along.

Baba Isher Singh Ji Kaleranvale once a Granthi Singh put nitnem casette on and himself went back to sleep. Baba Ji said that Kaljug nu phal milgeya - i.e, Kaljug will take the fruits of this prayer because your sadhan is via a computer and you are not doing it yourself. Computers audio players etc are the creations of kaljug. Baba Nand Singh Ji said the firts thing kaljug will do is stop you from Nitnem. When you lose your nitnem then its all downhill from there on. So be steadfast and after nitnem do ardas he maharaj bhul chuk maaf karni.

Edited by PAL 07

Baba Isher Singh Ji Kaleranvale once a Granthi Singh put nitnem casette on and himself went back to sleep. Baba Ji said that Kaljug nu phal milgeya - i.e, Kaljug will take the fruits of this prayer because your sadhan is via a computer and you are not doing it yourself. Computers audio players etc are the creations of kaljug. Baba Nand Singh Ji said the firts thing kaljug will do is stop you from Nitnem. When you lose your nitnem then its all downhill from there on. So be steadfast and after nitnem do ardas he maharaj bhul chuk maaf karni.

I understand what you mean but know the problem first. It takes him 1.5 hours . It is always better to do directly from Gutka Sahib as the speed will increase automatically if you do it daily as I myself have learned to do quicker as the years passed. And yes it is not good to put on Gurbani fall asleep but to concentrate on it and if you can read it as well that is better.

Edited by jang123

Isn't whole point of nitnem is so that your consciousness can sink in the ocean of gurbani and get drench in it? As soon as we are start confining nitneem(timeless) to time we are at the border line of making it as dogmatic ritual as many muslims have done with their panj namaza..!! Nitnem is 24/7..365 days.....remember sant jarnail singh khalsa bhindranwale 22 hrs of abhyas internally/audible and whole bit and rest 2 hrs ajapa jap while sleeping 2 hrs...ajapa jap even in 2 hrs of deep sleep state (sukhopati avastha)..!!

Edited by N30S1NGH
4 people like this

WJKK WJKF..

AS long as u can "listen" or reciting in mind as the bani is playing audio.. its fine. else what is "sarvaN bhagti"??

infact.. bhagatji (Jaswant Singh Ji.. DDT student of Baba Gurbachan singh ji Bhindrawaley).. check gursevak.com frequently says do exercise along with listening bani.. 2 in 1. :)

ofcourse.. sitting and reading it is more beneficial.

but if no time then as i said above is not wrong too.. provided u r "listening" and not playing xbox ..lol!! well.. same goes with reading too.. most of us read but mind is on tonites NBA match..so i guess u get my point.. u wanna be a mastana go ahead but concentration should be on nitnem!

as far as maryada given by pal ji.. no harm in it too!

2 people like this

When I was at the Amrit sanchar the panj Singh said if you cannot read or if you didn't memorize them then you can listen to them.

If this was said by his Panj, then Pal 07 I am sorry, but who are you to say that is wrong?

Edited by singher23

Lot of difference between doing oneself & listening/viewing/hearing/.....

For pete's sake, the chap is trying to learn. It seems that everyone commenting is an uber brahmgiani constantly sitting in samadhi. Video can be a useful learning aid; the aim should be to use it as an aid to support learning and not rely on it in place of reading banis yourself.

As I come from a non-sikh non-pujnabi background, I had to improvise. I learnt Gurmukhi script first, but only if you know the grammar and vocabulary and are familiar with the verses and their meaning, does it make it easy to read and memorise and eventually be immersed in the deeper meanings. Putting banis on video playlist is a useful aid. Spend an hour learning new pauris every day and skip ahead to the apporpriate place in the video to finish 'nitnem', with a view to being able to read everything eventually. Set a target for yourself e.g. so many pauris every day or jaap sahib in 1 month etc.

Also recommend full sadhana whilst you're at it; introduce simran (with appropriate meditation technique) and yoga into your daily regimen and live a righteous life.

This will put you in very good stead for taking Amrit.

PS. The Raj Karega Khalsa videos are especially useful, but their English translations are not very good, so don't rely on them. Gurbani101.net has good basic meanings per pauri for nitnem banis. Knowing at least the basic meanings of what you're reciting goes a long way to help because our brains tend to recall concepts and ideas much easier than serially memorised information. It will also help you get much more out of the recitation as you get engrossed in the message as you go along.

Wish you all the best.

Edited by rrss
3 people like this

Obviously it is more beneficial to do the 5 bani.

A common misconception is just by reciting Gurbani you are benefiting.

Listen to every word, and most importantly, whether you listen or do, apply what you listen to in your life. That's what it's all about!

1 person likes this

The nitnem is laid down in the Sikh Rahit Maryada that every Sikh should daily recite japji, japu sahib, rehras and Soihila. But don't confuse this hukam with ritualism, it's not the reading that's important, it's the understanding and application in everyday life. If you a having issues due to time or in conflicting with your duties, try to learn them by heart or just recite the mool mantar, but do so with pure devotioon. This bliss can also be obtained bu nam simran. There are various ways in which a Sikh becomes enlightened. For example, if one was to go to Boali Sahib gurdwara, they will see that Sri Guru Amardas Ji states that one should bathe in the Baoli and recite the japji 84 times to obtain release from the cycles of birth and death. It's not the number of times that's important, it's submitting to wahereguru.....as in, one can do it 84, 94 or even 184 times withiut pure devotion , which don't equal a person doing it just once with a pure heart and dhian.

WJKK WJKF

Was it 6th lord who said that the nectar of bani sticks to anyone. W.e works for you, you should have the sense to know the dif. better you listen than you don't. I'm not even gonna get into who the SGPC is who makes the maryada that they don't even follow, tbh, remember the whole family thing means live practically, don't quit ur job and let your kids starve to do 20 hrs of bani everyday. U know what to do..