Health Benefits of Having a Cold Shower/Bath

DustOfYourFeet

Waheguru ji ka khalsa , Waaheguru ji ki fateh

Dass wanted to share with you a few health benefits of having a cold shower/bath.

• Enhance immunity against infections and cancer

• Give your glands (thyroid, adrenals, ovaries/testes) a boost, improving hormonal activity

• Jump-start your mood and motivation

• Crank up your metabolism to fight type 2 diabetes, obesity, gout, rheumatic diseases, depression, and more

• Normalize your blood pressure

• Decrease chronic pain

• Train and improve your blood circulation

• Detoxify your body

• Fight fatigue

• Strengthen exhausted, irritable nerves

• Rejuvenate, heal, and tone the skin

• Deepen your breathing

• Help with insomnia

• Improve kidney function

• Reduce swelling and edema

• Improve lymphatic circulation, thereby increasing immune function

• Reduce stress by regulating your autonomic nervous system

• Regulate temperature, fighting chronically cold hands and cold feet and excessive sweating

• Keep your hair healthy

• Improve hemorrhoids and varicose veins

• Reduce aches and pains

• Healthier kesh, prevents kesh from falling out.

There are plenty of mental benefits to ending your shower with cold water. The ancient samurai warriors used to pour buckets of cold river water on their heads every morning in a shinto practice called misogi. This was a purification ritual on a spiritual level. They believe that it cleansed their spirit and helped start a new day & new adventure fresh. Cold water obviously helps waking you up, which is what you want in the morning. Also, it energizes you and invigorates your entire being. It can also lift you up if you are feeling a little down or unmotivated.

There are many benefits to cold showers, as you can see. This is something that can be very difficult for many people to do. The key is to not torture yourself. Go about it gradually. Start with a level of cold you can deal with, and slowly make it colder after each shower.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

Most of these do not stand up medically.

The reason why a rahet reccommended bathing in cold water was to discourage the use of hammams, which were Muslim institutions found in the big towns and cities of Punjab in those days.

Older generation will remember when the water table in Punjab was much higher and will be able to recall that in the blisetring heat of the summer the water was paradoxically cool, whilst the inverse occurred in the winter.

In colder Western climates always showering or bathing in the cold will not effectively remove dirt and grime from your body. I enjoy a blast in a cold shower, usually straight after my usual one, but would not habitually use only cold water to cleanse myself.

I remember listening to a parcharak talking about how cold baths are important but like Jangal Da said there is a difference between the cold water they had back then and the cold water that comes out of our plumbing systems.

Supposedly the water we get is much colder. Therefore don't crank your tootee all the way to the blue, find something between cold and luke warm I guess.

I personally suck at practicing this. I've developed a bad habit of taking hot showers. Which is why I sometimes fall asleep after my shower :sad2:

Cold ishnaan is good but you cant have it all the time like every day. Once or twice a week is good. Also having a shower and jumping into a challa (large pool) like they have in India are two different things.

If i had a challa here i would just jump into it and then move your body around this is an amazing buzz. Under a shower can sometimes feel like torture.

Benefits i have noticed are stronger bones and betetr skin. Gives strenght to your muscles, good for your senses to mention a few.

• 1 month later...