Chandi and Guru Sahib.

13Mirch

Please feel free to correct and criticise me, I just listened to these two kathas and was impressed with the knowledge displayed.

http://www.manglacharan.com/2011/05/chandi-pargat-hona-katha-by-giani-baba.html

However I do not understand Shakti, was that Akal Purakh in one of his forms?

I also do not understand the bit regarding Mata Sahib Kaur Ji.

Is Akal Purakh's shakti in Kirpan? Hence is Kirpan chandi?

How do we, in Gurmat, view Durga?

How does our view of Chandi and Durga differ from Hinduism?

Chatanga summed up what happened really well:

There was a brahman who claimed he could make the Devi appear, and so Guru Ji humoured him, and asked the Sikhs to get all the requirements for the havan. The havan went on for some time, and there was no success. The Pandit claimed, when asked, that the Devi will only appear if the sacrifice of a holy man is made. Guru Ji said that there is non holier than you Pandit jI. On hearing this, the Pandit said he needed to have ishnaan first, but then legged it at the first opportunity. Guru Ji knew that the Brahman had run away and he said to the Sikhs to throw all the samagari onto the fire. The fire then burned greatly, and Guru Ji standing in front of the fire facing the Sikhs, withdrew his sword, and said this is the Goddess. This is Shakti.

If you read into the history of Dusht Daman, when he helped Chandi in her battles, she gave him a boon that in Kalyug, she will take the form of a sword. This is the Chandi that Guru Ji showed. Not the 8 armed Goddess. The Goddess had already said she would take the roop of a sword, why would Guru Ji be expecting the 8 armed Goddess to appear?

Might as well post this here as well.

There are difference of opinions regarding this subject. You should read both views and decide it for yourself:

Bhai Vir Singh View on devi/chandi:

http://www.sikhaware...-singh-on-devi/ (Thanks to Dalsingh101 for translating this important peace of work)

Old puratan view shared among nihangs regarding on devi/chandi :

By member pal07

In recent times i doubt there was a greater scholar than Baba Santa Singh, particularly of Dhan Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji's sacred writings

and i would agree with him that Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaaj did pargat of devi. The reason is thus; chandi is a sevadaar of the khalsa Panth - she used to sweep up in the house of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and recieve blessings which she would then pass on to her followers.(Gurpratap Suraj Prakash Granth)

Durga is the Godess of Dharam Yudh and only as per maryada did Guru Ji pargat Devi and tell her to shower her blessings over the khalsa Panth so that it may be victorious. The same event occured in mahabharat just before the final dharam yudh by the pandavas, Krishna instructed Arjuna to seek the blessing of chandi so that there dharam yudh may not fail. When chandi appeared she said that her blessing was not neccessary as krishna himself has all the blessings within him since he is righteous and the yug avtar. Krishna only told Arjuna to do this as per maryada of a warrior before war to acknowledge the godess of war(shatree maryada).

It is God who created Durga and gave her the duty of instigating righteous wars this is the ultimate reality, but Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaaj has only acknowledged her and has taken courtesy towards her. Its exactly the same as Raagmala Guru Maharaaj used Raags in the formation of Adi Guru Granth Sahib and at the end wrote raagmala so as to show courtesy towards them otherwise they would have been akirtghan. The Gurus used Raags and showed respect towards them this is not wrong in any way.

Guru Ji needed Chandi's help instead only out of maryada did he acknowledge her as Baba Santa Singh Ji has stated...... Guru Gobind Singh only worshipped Sri Akaal i believe this, i also believe that Chandi is Mata Sahib Kaur mother of the Khalsa.

Chatanga summed up what happened really well:

[/size][/font][/color]

Might as well post this here as well.

But in the Katha they say Chandi appeared etc.. does this mean that the Goddess appeared and took the form of a sword? Even more important is this the same goddesses as accepted in Hindu dharam or is this the warrior aspect of waheguru?

How do you label something as puratan and Bhai Veer Singh as christian reformist?

People throw around the word puratan like it's some power level.

Thats not what i meant, i am just merely pointed out there are two thoughts in the panth regarding this subject. I have came to the understanding that just because its puratan does not make it automatically right..!! All the puratan stuff i.e-traditions/beleifs should weigh in with Gurmat by having vichar among various scholars of all jatha's and samparda's.!!

In the context of Katha, what is Chandi/ Durga? A being created by waheguru or an organic image of his powers?

Guru Sahib needed someone's blessings? I mean I know he received Akal Purakh's blessings but Chandis?

No he didn't receive blessings of any devi other than the shastar that we have. For a Sikh Chandi is the synonym for the Kirpan.

GPS can explain it better.

Thats not what i meant, i am just merely pointed out there are two thoughts in the panth regarding this subject. I have came to the understanding that just because its puratan does not make it automatically right..!! All the puratan stuff i.e-traditions/beleifs should weigh in with Gurmat by doing vichar among various scholars of all jatha's and samparda's.!!

True, agreed. Now that you mention it, it is good to mention both sides and analyse with the scope of Gurmat.

Many people unfortunately fall for many things just because it is puratan. Not insinuating anything about what's said above, but just saying it so readers know.