Sikhi and Evolution.

13Mirch

What does Sikhi say about evolution. Many faiths disagree with it but what about others. Do we believe God did evolution and if so then is it right to say it happens due to natural selection? Wouldn't it be an artificial selection of sorts? Can I also have quotes from Gurbani. Thank you.

Evolution is a fact.

The reason why so many bacteria become resistant to various antibiotics and diseases become resistant to vaccines si because of evolution.

It's simply how Waheguru creates the worlds and breaks them down.

~~~~~

hir Awpy pMc qqu ibsQwrw ivic DwqU pMc Awip pwvY ]

har aapae pa(n)ch thath bisathhaaraa vich dhhaathoopa(n)ch aap paavai ||

The Lord Himself directs the evolution of the world of the five elements; He Himself infuses the five senses into it.

~~~~~

A post I made on another forum some time back:

[/center][/center]

har aapae pa(n)ch thath bisathhaaraa vich dhhaathoo pa(n)ch aap paavai ||

The Lord Himself directs the evolution of the world of the five elements; He Himself infuses the five senses into it

http://www.sikhitoth...p?ShabadID=2758

According to Sikhi, Waheguru created the entire Universe. Moments after the Big Bang, when Waheguru created the Universe, evolution began. Once the Earth was formed Evolution continued on Earth and slowly life began to become more and more advanced until we reached a state where we are able to meet Waheguru. With that said Earth is in the Universe and therefore it is a creation of Waheguru. We disagree with Christians that the Earth was created 6000 years ago, we can effectively deduce that the Earth is around 4.5 billion years ago. Sikhi shows that the Universe has been here for endless ages, probably in the billions. Either way the goal for a Sikh should be to meet Waheguru in this lifetime. With this said, science will never, and i mean never know the wonders of Waheguru. They will try to approach it in a non religious manner but will never meet or realize Waheguru because they are using their own cunning. Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji knew what science is now starting to prove through statistics and logical reasoning. This doesn't hinder my faith even an ounce, it only goes to support my little knowledge of Gurbani and inspire me to become a stronger Sikh.

a(n)th n jaapai keethaa aakaar ||

The limits of the created universe cannot be perceived.Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Jap

sagaree srisatt dhikhaae acha(n)bhav || aadh jugaadh saroop suya(n)bhav ||19|| 395||

You have shown a miracle of the whole universe. You are the origin of the universe, are the beginning of the eons and are self-existent.(19)(395)Guru Gobind Singh

Dasam Granth

Also:

http://www.granthsah...n.php?page=1035

Please look after

Maaroo, First Mehl:maaroo mehlaa 1.

Khalsa Jee, sorry for my tardy response on this topic which I said I would provide a few weeks ago. Coincidentally, the topic of evolution also came up on GurmatBibek.com over at this thread: http://gurmatbibek.c...ead.php?3,13418 and here are the words of Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee from Khalsa Camp 2006 Questions & Answers:

Gurbani does not recognise any concept or importance of time.

ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਸੁ ਏਕਾ ਵਾਰ ॥

Jo kich paayaa so ika vaar.

God has put everything into creation all at once. Bhai Sahib says he personally does not believe in Evolution. We believe in 8.4 million life forms. All at the same' date=' at once, God created all the 8.4million life forms, and the number of life forms are not increasing or decreasing at a given time. Some scholarly or scientific minded Gursikhs say that at the time of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee there was 8.4 million life forms but now we have discovered many more, but that cannot be the case. Out of 8.4 million life forms, 4.2 million are on Earth and 4.2 million are in Water. Those life forms never change in number,do not increase or decrease. What can happen is that some life forms become dormant, they still exist on Earth, but they are dormant, and at the Will of God they can come back at any time. For example it is said that Dinosaurs existed on this Earth many millions of years ago but they do not exist now.What is actually the case is that those life forms (e.g. dinosaurs) are still existing but they are in dormant form. When the time comes, at when and if God wills, they may come back.[/quote']

Here a link to download the audio: http://www.mediafire...kvabx2nepn1rblc first 5 or so minutes are relevant to this topic.

I'm not one to say someone is wrong, but Bhai Sahib Ji didn't account for this: "patala patal lakh agasa agas", "countless the worlds beneath, countless the worlds above" KMf pqwl AsMK mY gxq n hoeI ]

kha(n)dd pathaal asa(n)kh mai ganath n hoee ||

There are countless worlds and nether regions; I cannot calculate their number.Guru Amar Daas Ji Raag Malaar

nwnk jy ko AwpO jwxY AgY gieAw n sohY ]21]

naanak jae ko aapa jaanai agai gaeiaa n sohai ||21||

O Nanak, one who claims to know everything shall not be decorated in the world hereafter. ||21||

pwqwlw pwqwl lK Awgwsw Awgws ]

paathaalaa paathaal lakh aagaasaa aagaas ||

There are nether worlds beneath nether worlds, and hundreds of thousands of heavenly worlds above.

EVk EVk Bwil Qky vyd khin iek vwq ]

ourrak ourrak bhaal thhakae vaedh kehan eik vaath ||

The Vedas say that you can search and search for them all, until you grow weary.

shs ATwrh khin kqybw AsulU ieku Dwqu ]

sehas at(h)aareh kehan kathaebaa asuloo eik dhhaath ||

The scriptures say that there are 18,000 worlds, but in reality, there is only One Universe.

lyKw hoie q ilKIAY lyKY hoie ivxwsu ]

laekhaa hoe th likheeai laekhai hoe vinaas ||

If you try to write an account of this, you will surely finish yourself before you finish writing it.

nwnk vfw AwKIAY Awpy jwxY Awpu ]22]

naanak vaddaa aakheeai aapae jaanai aap ||22||

O Nanak, call Him Great! He Himself knows Himself. ||22||

There are other worlds that can have life, the power of Waheguru is infinite, no one can say anything definitely. Science can only begin to scratch the surface, but that doesn't make it wrong. This all comes back to evolution, one day Earth will cease to exist, somewhere else life may begin to form. The Universe is in the hukam of Waheguru and only Waheguru's hukam.

Evolution is part of Waheguru's hukam.

It is because of Waheguru the Universe is how it is and after time, beings that can meet Waheguru will automatically be formed.

I do not at all think that Sikhi is in odds against science. Many religions have their own creation myths which are used to explain existence but these stories are simple answers for simple minds to complex questions. The whole point of Sikhi is to acquire knowledge and wisdom and use Wahegurus teachings to understand his creation. The knowledge out there can take a lifetime and usually many many lifetimes but as our souls "evolve" we come closer to God and the secrets of his creation. Remember science isn't an enemy of religion it a companion of it.