is there anything written about keeping hair and beard for sikhs in guru granth sahib?

Guest peace preachers

In my humble opinion, I would think Sikhism is dynamic and not static. Think about it, what was the fundamental purpose of keeping a turban and beard? For eradicating inequality and creating a Sikh identity. Sikhism has grown since then and we are now our very own religion and look at each other as equals.

Think about it. Today most Sikhs don't even use Punjabi anymore. We're using English to learn about Sikhism and even communicate with others. So many changes have been made so far and we're fine.

Just my 2 cents on the topic at hand.

Keep your 2 cents to yourself.

• 5 months later...
Guest Jacfsing2

In my humble opinion, I would think Sikhism is dynamic and not static. Think about it, what was the fundamental purpose of keeping a turban and beard? For eradicating inequality and creating a Sikh identity. Sikhism has grown since then and we are now our very own religion and look at each other as equals.

Think about it. Today most Sikhs don't even use Punjabi anymore. We're using English to learn about Sikhism and even communicate with others. So many changes have been made so far and we're fine.

Just my 2 cents on the topic at hand.

If you believe "Sikhs" see each other as equals you are sadly mistaken. Some people that are Amritdhari believe that their Jatha is better than the next Jatha, some believe in male superiority, while others believe in caste superiority. We keep Kesh because it's what Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji to Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji said, (Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji only reaffirmed what was already accepted). Despite English being common amongst youth and studying Sikhi, it's best if people take an effort to learn Gurmukhi, (it's the easiest language compared to English which is the hardest language). How would they communicate with Sikhs from Spain, France, China, Afghanistan and so on, especially for those Sikhs who want to travel to different Gurdwaras worldwide. Your views seem practical; however, it's best to make even a small attempt to keep Kesh and whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

Kesh - I believe is then for those who have the deepest faith. Why else would Bhai Taru Ji say that he would rather have his khoprhi cut off rather than his hair. His hair because of his faith - turned hard as steel and could not be cut.

Kesh has been given to us - to use as a choice. If we did choose to keep it then good for us. If we don't then one day - we will be given the faith by God that uncut hair is for our benefit.

People who regularly do path and go the Guradwara eventually end up keeping their kesh and beard and wear a dastar. Only God can give us this blessing and understanding. It is not being taken as a strict hukam these days. I personally feel that this is due to the hardships especially like the 1984 massacre which took place. Think about it - wouldn't sikh history be different if that massacre had not taken place in the first place. Perhaps more sikhs would be keeping their hair. many Sikhs at that time cut their hair just to save their lives. The trend of cut hair just continued or spread from there I suppose.

Kesh - I believe is then for those who have the deepest faith. Why else would Bhai Taru Ji say that he would rather have his khoprhi cut off rather than his hair. His hair because of his faith - turned hard as steel and could not be cut.

Kesh has been given to us - to use as a choice. If we did choose to keep it then good for us. If we don't then one day - we will be given the faith by God that uncut hair is for our benefit.

People who regularly do path and go the Guradwara eventually end up keeping their kesh and beard and wear a dastar. Only God can give us this blessing and understanding. It is not being taken as a strict hukam these days. I personally feel that this is due to the hardships especially like the 1984 massacre which took place. Think about it - wouldn't sikh history be different if that massacre had not taken place in the first place. Perhaps more sikhs would be keeping their hair. many Sikhs at that time cut their hair just to save their lives. The trend of cut hair just continued or spread from there I suppose.

When massacres occurred earlier did Sikhs cut their hair?

No they didn't and Sikhi became more powerful to the extent that we became rulers.

Guest Jacfsing2

Kesh is where our bhakti resides.. people without uncutkesh who even repeat mantras cannot be successful and the power may backfire onto them. There is proof of this in Shri Dasam Granth.

What if they are slowly learning? Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji saved the worst of sinners as well as those with Bhagti.

Guest Jacfsing2

If they are slowly learning through the Sikhi way, then the first step is to have to keeping kesh and other 5Ks.. I mean it is not that hard to drop the scissors if the person is serious about becoming more spiritually aware. 5Ks are a must, like those are the signs of a Gurmukh to be, if somebody wants to become a Gurmukh but will not even do this, then are they insane? Considering that they know how hard it is to recieve this human life and meet the human life's goal aka mukhti. Those sinners that our Sri Gurudev Sahib jis saved became Gurmukhs by accepting everything our Sri Gurudev Sahib jis told them as hukam.. They did not take it 'slowly', they took it as given.. :)

All of them learned at once? Bhumia Chor? Bhai Joga Singh(who Chacked Amrit from Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's own hand in the form of a Pyare) was about to go to a brothel, until Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji stood there all night giving up his own sleep. It's ok to learn slowly, if your end goal is the same. Sant Jarnail Singh Bhinderwale once saw helped a drunkard stop drinking by telling him to Jaap Naam and in 30 days he decided to Chack Amrit and break his habit! (Not everything happens at once!)