is there anything written about keeping hair and beard for sikhs in guru granth sahib?

Guest peace preachers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Are we all learning and understanding without being egoistic? (May be few out there are doing so)

Do we really want to trap Sikhism in term of religion? Does Sikhism and teachings of Guru Granth Sahib deserve to be manipulated? Does Sikhism talk about Karam kaand (doing paath without understanding it, taking amrit without even knowing the responsibilities attached to it, having Sikhi saroop without even understanding and doing what it is all about)?

I guess answer to all of the above is 'no'.

"Kahlsa mera roop hai khaas

Khalse meh haun karo nivaas"

For the these lines we always portray sabat soorat sikhs, but aren't we supposed to talk about internal purity, about being free from kaam karrodh, lobh, moh, akhankaar?

Sikhism is a panth, a way of living life which starts from developing your internal being and simultaneously coming out at physical level through you actions, appearance in society. Spirtual/internal development comes first, appearance matters least. I am not worried about people being cutting their hair and will never stop or suggest someone not to cut their hair.

I am worried about the thinking that being born in sikh family makes someone sikh by birth, I am worried about people stressing and maintaining sabat soorat and not following Guru Granth Sahib, I am worried about associating or patenting Sikhism to our so called born Sikhs. I am worried about all of us who are unable to understand and adopt the message from Guru Granth Sahib.

Guru Granth Sahib was designated as our guru so as not to be mislead by someone with Sikhi appearance, and we all know where we are standing these days.

There are things in Sikhism which we need to learn and those are above and beyond physical appearance. Infact Sikhism is all about learning. Sikh a punjabi word, we all very well know its meaning, sikh is 'learn'. If we stop learning how can we still be a 'Sikh', and we all very well know how much we learn each day from Gurbani.

If you are really worried about being a sikh then focus on learning from Gurbani. Please take advantage from what Gurus left for us, understand Guru Granth Sahib, there are so many resources out there to help us. Do not go after literal word meaning of Gurbani, discuss Gurbani and develop.

The answer to the question "is there anything written about keeping hair and beard for sikhs in guru granth sahib?" took a long road. But I hope people seeking answer to this question will ask themselves one another question: 'do we really care about gurbani, guru granth sahib? if we do then why are we not exploring it and trying to understand it?

I am not pointing fingers on anyone, it is just a discussion, comments are more than welcome, will appreciate any feedback.

• 2 months later...

In my limited understanding of Sikhism, I believe Guruji Maharaj created the Khalsa order in order to eradicate 'casteism' and to create a Sikh identity and avoid Sikhism being swallowed by Hinduism.

From what I've read and believe, there were many Sikhs who were actively also practicing Hinduism. While they attended Sikh temple they were also going to Mandirs. Many High caste Sikhs refused to accept low caste among them and paid only lip service to equality. In order to eradicate this and once and for all force those who believe in Sikhism and equality, they must embrace the Khalsa order. The same high caste or low caste Sikhs must now look exactly the same. Many could not take this and refused to accept the Khalsa order. This forced you to either prove that you actually believe in equality and thus embrace Khala order.

Also, in my humble opinion I believe Guruji Maharaj did not want Sikhism to end up another sect within Hinduism. By creating the Khalsa order, Guruji effectively created a Sikh identity. There is no mistaking a Sikh for a Hindu or vice versa.

In summary I believe Guruji Maharaj was trying to avoid a situation whereby Sikhism would end up a sect of Hinduism and it's teachings subverted and never practiced. The Sikh identity forced people to choose. No chance of playing both side of the fence.

However we must not forget that Sikhism was a Punjabi religion and pretty much localized in Northern India. Many of our Sikh ancestors also were practicing Hindus. Today Sikhs are born purely from a Sikh religion and identity. The notion of casteism is absurd and Sikhs outright reject that Sikhism is a sect of Hinduism.

I'm just wondering, wouldn't Guruji Maharaj want us to be dynamic and move with the times? Would it be ok to be 'mona' and yet be a fully practicing Sikh?

Just my humble thoughts. I apologize in advance if I angered any of Sikhsangat posters.

In my humble opinion, I would think Sikhism is dynamic and not static. Think about it, what was the fundamental purpose of keeping a turban and beard? For eradicating inequality and creating a Sikh identity. Sikhism has grown since then and we are now our very own religion and look at each other as equals.

Think about it. Today most Sikhs don't even use Punjabi anymore. We're using English to learn about Sikhism and even communicate with others. So many changes have been made so far and we're fine.

Just my 2 cents on the topic at hand.

In my humble opinion, I would think Sikhism is dynamic and not static. Think about it, what was the fundamental purpose of keeping a turban and beard? For eradicating inequality and creating a Sikh identity. Sikhism has grown since then and we are now our very own religion and look at each other as equals.

Think about it. Today most Sikhs don't even use Punjabi anymore. We're using English to learn about Sikhism and even communicate with others. So many changes have been made so far and we're fine.

Just my 2 cents on the topic at hand.

We can spend hours trying to rationalize why Sikhs wear a turban and grow out their hair, but none of these reasons matters. All that matters is that Guru Gobind Singh gave us this form. No one is forcing you to wear a turban and grow your hair, it's a choice. Nothing needs to be changed, and I say this as a mona. I'd like to quote the great Prof Puran Singh too:

"We as men of the Guru have no symbols. We, I say, as men of the Guru have no so-called religion or religious creed as others have. “Then what are these impediments of long hair and beard?” asks the impatient young Sikh who sees that the whole world is clean-shaven with a cigarette in its lips. And it is so neat looking. “I wish to be like that. After all what does the hair matter when my heart is pure?” The question is quite simple to answer when the answer is based on an intellectual analysis of things. And who is there to compel any one to be of the Guru, unless one feels the need of His love and His protection and His Ideal and unless one seeks ardently for Him?

But those who have been to Him and have loved Him and have received His gifts cannot throw the gifts of the Guru to the winds and still say they love Him. It is a question of the intensity of personal love for the Guru. Those braids of Jesus Christ and these sacred knots of the Five Beloved of Guru Gobind Singh who tied them on their heads with his own hands are His Gifts thenceforward. For one who has any feeling in his breast, death is more welcome than parting with His gifts. "