is there anything written about keeping hair and beard for sikhs in guru granth sahib?

Guest peace preachers

Guest simple & innocent

1-religions are a set of beliefs,to answers some of our curiosities about life.these were formulated by really wise and noble people to guide n help others.religions are complementing the good n noble in us.religions hv to beautify our lives.so any orthodox views n deir orthodox propagation is a big no.

2-"ek noor te sab jag upjea kon bhale ko mande"  all r alike,d children of d same god.gurus kept 4 doors in shri harmandir sahib n darbar sahib tarn taran,it was to welcome each n evry person,f evry caste,creed or religion.gurus taught us to respect beliefs n faiths of others......now sikhs r 30 million out f world population of 7000 million,n all f 30 million don not keep hair.are all other 6970 million (christians,hindus,muslims without hair but some of dem hvng beard,jains,buddhists,jews etc) people wrong or bad or fools?actually religion or god is not limited to dese petty issues.

3-guru gobind singh ji was a saint soldier.indian people had been subjagated  n ruled by a dynasty (slave/mamluk) medieval times.n then d repressive mughal rule.people in dis region had become spiritless.guruji created khalsa n infused such spirit in ppl dat dey hv stood against all odds til now.5 k's was told to b kept to organise khalsa wid a distinct identity that cud stand upto d challenges f d times...bt today it shud not b construed dat hair shud b kept to please d guru.the guru wud rather b happy abt ur good n pious living,helping others n standing against wrongs,n nt jst abt keeping/nt keeping hair...........we all adore bhagat singh.even he had to get his hair shorn to change identity,but he was doing a much greater good for d country.d gurus wud b much happy wid him abt his deeds n wont be bothered abt d hair issue.

4-if its abt sabat soorat,den we shudnt cut our nails also,dese also grow again n again.

5-many hair strands break while combing also.isnt dat a sin?breaking hair due to comb is ok but cutting wid scissor is not ok! if u say combing is for hygiene,even cutting is for hygiene for many.its al abt personal wish.no one needs to comment on anyone's way or choice of life.u can of course live ur life in an awsm way to inspire others to follow u.....many themselves like to keep long hair or beard or tie a turban.....all cool.why shud anyone comment abt such things.

6-people try or search/enquire about food,clothing,gym,school,college,a potential spouse etc.........why r v so closed minded abt other religions n cultures?we dont even try to know their scriptures or practices?n why cant we all live together n share.who told us to live in a closed boundary of a caste or religion?

7-den ppl try to dictate dress codes,wear dis,dont wear dat.punjabi suits,even d one worn by our grandmothers,bare more skin if we compare wid dress code under sharia law (every body part,except face n hands covered,even neck,wrists..).now with wat authority can a woman dictate to her daughter not to wear a sleeveless suit?all dis is relative,d mother is herself wrong as per sharia law.so who shud decide our laws ultimately?who decides wat length of the arm can b exposed.rapes happen even of 3years old n 70years old.....dat is an altogether power conflict bw a man n woman.

BUT,sadly all cannot become so cool n tolerant.dis is d cause of numerous murders,wars ,conflicts n terrorism.only if we can try to rise above dese divisions,classifications,groupings,fundamentalism,psychological barriers,mental blocks n live happily n peacefully.............!

On 8/14/2013 at 2:46 AM, Guest Anne said:

Only been Sikh a few months. but I thought Sikhi teaches us Not to be supertitious ???

sister to some believing in God or Guru ji is being superstitious what can you say to such crazy thoughts only, 'go be happy in your non-superstition, whilst I'll be happy paying attention to my Guru who I trust heart and soul.' Those sikhs who doubt Guru ji's motives and follow other people's ways to cover themselves can be considered to be lead by superstition not Guru ji. Welcome to sikhi may Waheguru ji guide to you to Chardi Kala 

On 5/19/2016 at 11:03 AM, singhsingh2015 said:

I find it easier to get up and get ready and put the Pugh on head

No I do not see it in guru Granth jee

plus

1. I don't shiver in the winter or look like a fashion victim with different hats on my head or sweat profusely during exercise or work during summer 

2. I look like my parents : Guru Pita Gobind Singh ji and Guru Mata Sahib Kaur ji

3. It calms my mind , focuses my attention for the day whilst tying and adjusting - morning time and when tying at evening I review how my performance was - a gift Guru Pita gave us to take time on use of our day, putting our best selves forward.

4. It links me back to the millions of souls who put their heads at Guru ji's feet and blessed me with the chance to be a gursikh - it humbles me in the reminder that my Guru ji loved me enough to make me a sovereign amongst ordinary people by placing this crown on my head.

5. I feel pity for those who would rather attend their Guru ji's court (everywhere) with a nose blowing cloth on their head or cloth cap advertising a corporate brand , rather than the emblem of their birthright : self-sovereignity

• 5 months later...
On 24/03/2016 at 9:32 AM, sikhni777 said:

True, however spiritual knowledge is universal and sikhism is a universal religion. Understanding the spiritual is so tricky that you can read anything but choose what to believe. Sometimes these things which are not even based on God help to guide us towards him.

For instance some years ago - I found a book the wisdom of the ages in the library. It was full of what happens to the soul and how we are born and other such stuff. It also talked about 14 worlds - 7 of which exist under the earth. Hell was assumed to be the deepest. Recently after 25 years while reading the meanings of log chaudhe ke vikhe of sauvaiye I read Guru Gobind Singh Jis bani stating about these worlds or layers where our soul which go and digest the knowledge acquired from this life.

I watching a video of Anita Murjani who got healed from severe cancer after having experienced an after death experience. She does not connect her experience directly to any religion. However her videos greatly inspired me to search what happens after death and I turned to religion to look for the answers.

Reading and knowing is different to believing. Beliefs only come after you have listened and what you have taken in makes sense and you can connect the missing dots successfully. There are so many holes in our understanding which need to be filled in. That is why we are still searching because our understanding of the divine processes and the divine beings themselves is limited. Just like a study of the Bible does not necessarily mean that you are a Christian automatically, reading about spirituality which does not link directly to God does not mean you will stop believing in God. It may lead you directly to trust your scriptures which already have all these truths said in them. It is only we who have not taken the time to understand their deeper meanings.

Sometimes we need to listen to katha or have someone explain to us these concepts in a different manner and then they make complete sense. This is from where we develop our faith which is then unbreakable and strong.

the concept of 7 rings of hell and 7 rings of heaven is Abrahamic and Guru Nanak Dev ji put that to bed in Iraq when he sang patala patal , lakh agasa agas ... when confronted by Pir Dastagir , he took Dastagir's son by the hand and took him to the many realms and showed him that creation is more than their concept bringing back Prashad from the other regions where like Guru ji tells us everyone praises Akal Purakh. 
Anita's video I have watched and she comes across as very 'it doesn't matter what you do , everything's going to be alright' which is not what Guru Pita taught us. Sure see what others believe but, remember to do the second step and see if it holds up against the truth of Gurbani and what Guru ji has taught us - the truth.

40 minutes ago, sikhni777 said:

Patalaa pataal means planets or other worlds I presume.  However many times gurbani translations are stating or talking about the fourteen layers surrounding our own planet. 

bhenji if you could give an example and its context within the shabad I'd appreciate it as I've got a feeling it is referring to abrahamic belief not ours .....

On 24/03/2016 at 9:32 AM, sikhni777 said:

log chaudhe ke vikhe

16 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

bhenji if you could give an example and its context within the shabad I'd appreciate it as I've got a feeling it is referring to abrahamic belief not ours .....

http://www.gurbanifiles.org/translations/Nitnem by Dr. Kulwant Singh, with Punjabi & Eng transla & PT.pdf

lok caudh ky ibKY jg jwphI ijNh jwp ] Lok choud.ah kae bikhaae jagg jaapahee jeh jaap lokW (Bvnw, mMflW) cOdW dy ivc jgq jpdw hY auhdw nwm[(ieslwimk m`q Anuswr AwkwS cOdW hn[ ihMdU m`q s`q lok DrqI qoN au~pr Aqy s`q DrqI qoN hyTW mMndw hY)[ In all the fourteen levels (Mandals, worlds - In the universe), He is revered. (In the Hindu and Islamic philosophy, there are seven levels below the earth and seven above it).

http://www.vidhia.com/Bhai Veer Singh Ji/Jaap Sahib Stik-Bhai Vir Singh Punjabi.pdf

On 24/01/2017 at 2:00 AM, Sukhvirk76 said:

Really Keeping kes as such you have articulated is neither prescribed or proscribed in bani. one can be a sikh whilst not keeping kes however Clearly to be 'Khalsa' it is a must. Sikh and khalsa are not one of the same. All khalsa are sikh but not all sikh are khalsa.. We have a very unique and beautiful  panth that is inclusive but does distinguish. However I think what you question really illuminates is that by simply keeping kes you become a better sikh? I would have to argue no it does not..  One may keep kes wear sacred baana.. Yet be mean,  take and abuse the stature accorded to one because of the baana but unable to uphold the responsibility of wearing such roop.. Guru nanak dev ji warned against such shallow and cynical use of pious symbols. Personally I think better not to take on such a responsibility if you do it for the wrong reasons.. 

to say that one who has accepted hukham of Akal Purakh and Guru Nanak Dev ji by keeping kesh and started down the road of sikhi is somehow better is a falsity, you are not a sikh then or now unless you have given of yourself wholly to Guru ji and receive amrit/naam  in return. This head is supposed to belong to Guru ji it is not ours if we follow Guru ji so why reserve the right to disobey Guru ji's advice/wishes ? Is this sikhi really , are you following your Guru ji or pretending to ? Do you know better than Guru ji or even Guru ji's sikhs who gave their all ? Guru Gobind Singh ji is Guru Nanak Dev ji IS Guru Granth Sahib ji  -there is NO difference  so to pretend that sikhi changed is to misunderstand that .

Having amrit is just the starting point , you have to strive to become worthy of being called a khalsa , just as you have to put effort and love  in to being a sikh. Try reading the definition of a gurmukh from Gurbani . 

Guest Jacfsing2
On 1/23/2017 at 9:00 PM, Sukhvirk76 said:

Really Keeping kes as such you have articulated is neither prescribed or proscribed in bani. one can be a sikh whilst not keeping kes however Clearly to be 'Khalsa' it is a must. Sikh and khalsa are not one of the same. All khalsa are sikh but not all sikh are khalsa.. We have a very unique and beautiful  panth that is inclusive but does distinguish. However I think what you question really illuminates is that by simply keeping kes you become a better sikh? I would have to argue no it does not..  One may keep kes wear sacred baana.. Yet be mean,  take and abuse the stature accorded to one because of the baana but unable to uphold the responsibility of wearing such roop.. Guru nanak dev ji warned against such shallow and cynical use of pious symbols. Personally I think better not to take on such a responsibility if you do it for the wrong reasons.. 

Kesh is very important as with each and every hair Vaheguru Simran becomes radiant and stronger, as well as a part of accepting Vaheguru's Hukam. The only reason people cut their Kesh is worldly fashion and to get approval from the world, this includes other religions grooming standards. Also Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji gave the direct Hukam to Bhai Mardana 3 things,

1. Keep Kesh

2. Always provide food and water to any guests

3. Wake-up at Amrit Vela