Citizen Khan - BBC

Hammertime007

Anyone watch it?

Been loads of complaints

I’m not offended but they are.

If they made a Comedy bout Sikhs in the same context I would be very angry.

A very cheessey comedy with fake audience laughs.

If you want real comedy 70s and 80s was the era, Alf Garnet, Some Mothers do av em, on the buses, 2 Ronnies, Minder, Only fools and horses.

You have to admire the BBC because their bending to Muslim sensibilities is legendary and the people in charge are on record as saying they would not consider making a comedy offensive to Muslims because of the violent reaction from Muslims. So either this marks a change of policy or someone made a mistake and instead of sending the tapes of this comedy to be incinerated they were sent to be broadcast by mistake! So what will be the reaction of the BBC, will they pull the series or carry on? What's the betting that some Muslim looney will go after Adil Ray? I reckon that Anjem Chaudhary guy will rename his organisation, from Muslims Against Crusaders to Muslims against Sitcom!

I did find some bits funny. His parking his large Mercedes in the small front garden of his house and instead of getting a ramp built by the council using a makeshift ramp made by placing a piece of wood on the road. It did look dated, the character looked like that Pakistani guy from 'Mind Your Language' from the 1970s. The prop department probably managed to recyle the same hat.

Apparently he's a Pakistani 'businessman' but in reality he would probably be on disabled benefits and his wife would be getting carers allowance for looking after him! He probably moonlights as a minicab driver.

Asians always seem to aim low. Those with the opportunities to make TV shows (on a national scale) always choose the least suitable alternative. I don't know whether their original ideas are diluted by people higher up, but it does seem like there isn't any fresh, dynamically original ideas.

Although to be fair you only have to watch Ricky Gervais' 'Extras' to see interference from so-called department heads in trying to water-down and popularise Andy Millman's script in order to make it appeal to the lowest common denominator. Seeing as Gervais said this is actually what happens in the BBC I'd imagine it must be doubly difficult for an Asian to get stuff done and keep their integrity and original vision in-tact.

What annoys me is when people say "Oh let's support him [the person making the programme] because he's Asian regardless of the actual quality of the work". That's utter nonsense. We won't get anywhere by blindly supporting crap even if it is by fellow Asians. We need to produce top-quality stuff which is of better quality than what the white folk conjure up --- miles better than the white folk. Only then will programmes such as these gain respect outside of the TV rating chasing producers and managers.

There's nothing on TV that appeals to me these days so I digged out some of my comedy DVDs of 'The Day Today' (I was only about 10 or so) but I must say that's the kind of intelligent but equally very, very funny shows that are missing these days.

Also, let's not kid ourselves you need to have some sort of connections to get anywhere in TV these days. The Oxbridge brigade are most likely to get their ideas heard, but once in a blue moon I do reckon the likes of the BBC throw the rest a bone to see what sticks. Sadly when something like Citizen Khan is the best we can produce then I'm not surprised nobody gives us a chance.

Just watch this. Absolute genius.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/bbc-one-sitcom-citizen-khan-gets-second-series

BBC One today announced that it has commissioned a second series of family-based sitcom ‘Citizen Khan’.

BBC One Controller Danny Cohen ordered a further seven episodes of the studio sitcom starring Adil Ray centred on larger-than-life self- appointed community leader Mr Khan and his long suffering family.

The first series of Citizen Khan launched in late August this year and made a very positive start launching with 3.7 million viewers and a 21% share on its first transmission.

“BBC One has a long tradition of laugh-out-loud family comedy for all generations. ‘Citizen Khan’ has delivered this whilst bringing new comic talent and a fresh flavour to the channel. I can’t wait for the second series.”

Mark Freeland, Head of BBC In House Comedy said; “With sitcom to grab attention all you can ask is laugh out loud funny distinctiveness, authenticity and great characters. I think we’ve certainly grabbed people’s attention.”

Adil Ray said; “I am thrilled. This is testament to the hard work of the cast, my co-writers and the entire crew. I have been touched to hear from families nationwide who have already taken this cuddly bearded Pakistani Muslim from Birmingham into their hearts and living rooms. Above all, I thank Community Leaders who continue to spring up everywhere who provide the inspiration.”

i saw the last episode and that Adil Ray guy is playing with fire. It had an incident where the Khan guy goes into a room looking for the remote control where some women are praying and when the light is switched on he's on top of one woman in a very compromising position. When asked by his wife 'what are you doing?' he says 'I'm just offering Mrs Shafiq my condolences!'

I'm surprised that the extremist Muslims haven't protested, maybe they are too busy with the 'Innocence of Muslims' movie