Eating Food With/prepared By Gursikhs Only?

Guest confusedsingh

Guest confusedsingh

Need some advice please. I have seen here that Gursikhs expected to only eat food prepared by other Gursikhs and in the company of other Gursikhs. What if one's own family (parents, siblings, other relatives) are not Sikh at all and are atheist/agnostic- do you eat with them and the food prepared by them or not?

What about eating out whilst travelling?

Thanks.

Need some advice please. I have seen here that Gursikhs expected to only eat food prepared by other Gursikhs and in the company of other Gursikhs. What if one's own family (parents, siblings, other relatives) are not Sikh at all and are atheist/agnostic- do you eat with them and the food prepared by them or not?

What about eating out whilst travelling?

Thanks.

Amritdharis should only consume food prepared by amritdharis. Why? Coz that way we'l know the food was prepared according to rehat and not joota. E.g. If you eat out at a restaurant, bhind the scenes we dont know if they wash their hands, if they cook meat products and veg with same utensils, whether they taste the food for seasoning with the same cooking spoon etc... Whereas with an amritdhari, we know they wouldn't do this.

Ur family- as long as you know they prepare the food according to rehat its fine. Or learn how to cook veerji. Its a great skill to have, fun too. You've just got to ensure your food is not joota. If your chips have been fried in the same oil as fish/chicken then they're not consumable.

If your travelling- again do your best to ensure your foods not joota. Eat from vegy eat outs...errm buy the ingredients and cook yourself.

Also agree with the post above. Its not about not eating someones food coz theyre not of the same status or religion. I wouldnt eat food prepared at my muslim friends house coz 'joot' is not even in their vocab! So unles im towering over him whilst he cooks for me, i just wouldnt take that chance. Doesnt mean ive got something against him. I consider my muslim mates my brothers n sisters.

To say that Sikhs should only eat from the hands of other Sikhs is the same as saying Brahmins can only eat from Brahmins. This completely erases the values of Gurbani. True Sikhs do not segregate people based on their religion or their caste or their nationality or any other thing.

Why is it that Amritdharis can have the Jhoota of other Amritdharis, but need Pesh if they intentionally have the Jhoota of non-Amritdharis, then?

Disappointing to see the Rehat of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj ridiculed and labelled as against the values of Gurbani.

Okay, I am really confused about this topic as well.. but about jhootha there is a shabad from Gurbani:

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?SourceID=G&PageNo=&ShabadID=2010

ਦੂਧੁ ਤ ਬਛਰੈ ਥਨਹੁ ਬਿਟਾਰਿਓ ||

The calf has contaminated the milk in the teats.

ਫੂਲੁ ਭਵਰਿ ਜਲੁ ਮੀਨਿ ਬਿਗਾਰਿਓ ||੧||

The bumble bee has contaminated the flower, and the fish the water. ||1||

ਮਾਈ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਹਾ ਲੈ ਚਰਾਵਉ ||

O mother, where shall I find any offering for the Lord's worship?

ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਫੂਲੁ ਅਨੂਪੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਉ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਉ ||

I cannot find any other flowers worthy of the incomparable Lord. ||1||Pause||

So pretty much this states that pretty much everything is 'jhootha' and we cannot really claim anything as 'pure' or 'sucha' in that means..but i do believe in proper sanitation

and also I am questionable about the fact that amritdharis should only eat from amritdharis.. what difference does that make if we say that god resides in all of us.. and this is another shabad that kinda states that all the stuff we do to attain 'purity' is worthless..Isn't that the same thing that the bramins did?

ਅਭਾਖਿਆ ਕਾ ਕੁਠਾ ਬਕਰਾ ਖਾਣਾ ||

They eat the meat of the goats, killed after the Muslim prayers are read over them,

ਚਉਕੇ ਉਪਰਿ ਕਿਸੈ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ||

but they do not allow anyone else to enter their kitchen areas.

ਦੇ ਕੈ ਚਉਕਾ ਕਢੀ ਕਾਰ ||

They draw lines around them, plastering the ground with cow-dung.

ਉਪਰਿ ਆਇ ਬੈਠੇ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ ||

The false come and sit within them.

read the whole shabad..

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=1738

If your mind is strong then why does it matter who prepared your food.. and logically there is no way that the food that we eat only comes in contact with amritdharis only and what makes you think that washing it makes it any 'pure' (not referring to sanitation)? you do not know where it was sitting and who packed it..and i guess we can argue about this all we want.. everybody has different mentality on this issue...I think if your naam-simran is so strong these things shouldn't mean anything to you..

Why is it that Amritdharis can have the Jhoota of other Amritdharis, but need Pesh if they intentionally have the Jhoota of non-Amritdharis, then?

Disappointing to see the Rehat of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj ridiculed and labelled as against the values of Gurbani.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Pesh is required for Bujjar Kurehits. These are listed in the Rehat Maryada. Eating food prepared by non-Amridharis is not one of them. If you think differently, then you are entitled to your own opinion.

Pesh is required for Bujjar Kurehits. These are listed in the Rehat Maryada. Eating food prepared by non-Amridharis is not one of them. If you think differently, then you are entitled to your own opinion.

REHAT

sMinAwsI bYrwgI jyvY AOr audwsI XogI qyvY jMgm vwmI Avr ju koeI qW kw jUTw kbI n lyeI ]

sa(n)niaasee bairaagee jaevai aar oudhaasee yogee thaevai ja(n)gam vaamee avar j koee thaa(n) kaa joot(h)aa kabee n laeee ||

Hermits, renouncers, Udhasis and Yogis; Celibates and other sects and faiths; never eat from the same plate.

Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

You did not read what I wrote. I stated that Pesh is needed if one eats the Jhoota of a non-Amritdhari. The Sikh Rehat Maryada of the SGPC/Akal Takht states clearly:

"

q. The following individuals shall be liable to chastisement involving automatic boycott: One who eats/drinks Left-overs of the unbaptised or the fallen Sikhs;

The point I made is that you are very keen to state that "true Sikhs do not segregate others based on religion" - here we have in the SRM a clear example of a distriction drawn between Amritdharis and non-Amritdharis. All Amritdharis are infact compelled to share Amrit and drink from the same vessel - yet it is clear from even the Akal Takht Rehat Maryada that it is wholly unnacceptable to do the same with a non-Amrtidhari.

Please explain - why is it compulsory to drink from the same vessel with fellow Amritdharis in the Amrit Sanchar, yet a serious offense to share the same vessel with a non-Amritdhari?

Guest confusedsingh

Thank you all for the healthy discussion on this subject of food (pun not intended).

I can see two sides to this- whist the Rehat argument is sound, I think what is being said by other side is that this needs to be handled with great care so as not to make the refusal to eat food with/prepared by non-Gursikhs become a ritual or be perceived as an elitist action. Indeed that is a risk with rehat- becoming a ritual and Guru Nanak ji has made it very clear that rituals will get us nowhere.

In my case, what fault is it of my elderly parents that I cannot eat their food? Yes, I prefer to cook and eat my own food only and almost 98% of the food I eat, I prepare myself (I'm also a health freak and indeed a far from being a vegetarian, I'm a pure vegan (no animal sourced food whatsoever) so my diet is very restrictive), but doesn't it hurt a mother's feelings that her son refuses to eat roti made by her and instead he makes his own roti when he visits them? What of other relatives, does one simply forgoe all relations? I am the only Sikh in my entire family. Whilst I strive to have them eat my own food rather than vice-versa, should I refuse to dine with them because they don't live up to the standards that I have adopted?

As Bijla Singh ji rightly points out, no single rehat can be considered in vacuum (and it needs to be considered in context of Gurbani also). Showing compassion for others is a great virtue as is humility and killing ego. Rehat such as the one relating to food, like other rehat hukamnamas, serves a practical purpose in guiding physical actions which are linked to spiritual impacts. So striving as great extent as possible to eat with/food prepared by Gursikhs whilst respecing family relations (if they go to the extent of cooking in clean vessles to my strict dietary requirements) I think is okay because you are making a positive effort to balance the spiritual impacts of various physical actions and are actively thinking about it and even maybe having a positive impact infuence on others :-)