Are We Really A Marshal Community?

samosasingh

Don't the delhi riots and the recent american shooting prove that we are no longer a marshal community? Doesn't it show that we can't stand up for ourselves anymore? All we do is complain after we have been beaten and don't fight back.....was this always the case? Like in our history it seems only those who fought back are highlighted, was that the majority of Sikhs? Or did others choose other ways of of handling life in Sh#t times.

It sometimes feels as if the kirpans we are wearing have become symbolic....and is of no use. What will your 9 inch do if somebody comes in with a 9mm....there is no match.

Seems we are just living of the glory of some of the past sikhs and the reality of it is very different.

Hey moderator - when are you going to take me off this approval of posts business? I have been a loyal member for 10 years with no problems. This is not fair, you should actually be asking me to be a moderator with my experience and all, but no problem I don't want to steal your job. Ge back to me honey!!!

During hardship or times of persecution Sikhs tend to get more religious and marshal. This happened right after 84. But as the freedom movement died down Sikhs became less religious and also lost our marshal quality. Maybe the recent shootings of Sikhs can ignite something positive in Sikhs in the west. Maybe this can make us think outside of the comfort zone and bring us back to our roots. We need to come back to our Dharm and also start to get more marshal and by marshal I mean get self defense training and make yourself physically and mentally tough as our forefathers were.

1947 proved we r a martial community, we chopped muslims into pieces from our areas n also sent the rest of em packin. i say this coz they started it, and we finished it! With massive difference in popualtion sizes, we showed em/whoever started the violence not 2 mess with us. We dont discriminate or start fights, but we aint gona get mugged off.

in my opinion our community becomes vulnerable 2 other communties and gets mugged off by others coz we fall asleep (become less religious), and instead of standin out, we blend into the crowd. wat i mean by this is, some apnay think, "well no 1 else is carryin hathhyar/weapons, so y do we need 2?", even amritdharis, who carry smaller n smaller kirpans. Kirpans that wudnt even b able 2 cut onions, nevermind sum1s throat if they tried muggin u off!

In Delhi, in 84', its no suprise 2 c that the tyar-par-tyar sikhs were never touched, coz wen mobs came 2wards em, with their hatthiyar at the ready, sikhs were never massacred, yet the unarmed sikhs, liberal, moderate or amritdhari were butchered, cornered n set on fire.

U only also have 2 look @ the riots in england last yr, where all of london was on fire or battered by looters, yet the ONLY area of london which wasnt touched was west london ,which is home 2 largely sikhs. Look @ southall, it has the most jewellary shops than any other place, yet not 1 shops touched, even tho it was targetted by looters, via blackberry messenging each other. As soon as the looters arrived in southall, they saw weapon-clad sikhs outside ALL the gurdwaras, n legged it back 2 wherever there from, not even botherin 2 try n loot the broadway.

i agree with johnny101, wen sikhs get cornered, then we wake up. durin 84 we were all asleep, despite bhindrawale tellin every1 2 bloody wake up. Only after 84', did the masses wake up, includin the kharkoo movement, which gained more n more members n converts from hindus/islam from north india. Then recently with the whole rajoana case, did u c even coconut sikhs defendin r religion n rajoana/dilawers suicide bombin (which goreh/treachorous hindus cant comprehend), and learnin more n more bowt beant/kp gill/kharkoos/khalistan.

It sometimes feels as if the kirpans we are wearing have become symbolic....and is of no use. What will your 9 inch do if somebody comes in with a 9mm....there is no match.

Seems we are just living of the glory of some of the past sikhs and the reality of it is very different.

u kno wat really pees me off bro, is wen apnay weak/coward/pappu sikhs decide 2 think that we cant use violence anymore, "ohhhh that was a 17th century thing mannn, we aint fightin abdali/mughals anymore, its 2012 man, grow up, stop tryna be a badman!!!". As if its now a violent free world! If our ancestors hadnt used violence n stayed armed, we'd b on an islamic forum 2day discussin fastin techniques. Well we r sikhs, the years have changed, but horrible dushmans mindsets havnt changed, and bullys mindsets have never changed. Their ideas jus get passed onto another bully or dictator. As sikhs we shudnt get mugged off by NO ONE. If we r supposed 2 protect others, n in the end get bullied ourselves, then we shud no longer even call r selves kids of Kalgidhar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgfDu_p-Z0c

As if its now a violent free world! If our ancestors hadnt used violence n stayed armed, we'd b on an islamic forum 2day discussin fastin techniques

L0L.

but yh, i agree with whats been said. we really do need to learn how to fight and keep weapons. we've seen how people like to pick on us, target gurdware etc. maybe if we showed people don't mess with us they wouldn't dream of aproaching us. never ever pick fights, try to resolve conflicts, but if the person won't listen smack them so they never think of picking a fight with you again.

SamosaSingh, very valid point, Bang on Target. I don't think we are any longer a marshal community, sorry if it hurts anybody, let's accept the brutal truth.

Our children (majority) are unfit, FAT, most of Delhi/India Sikhs are unfit. Inspite of so many Sikh faith schools in India (Delhi/Punjab), there is no practise of any compulsory marshal art education to any of the Sikh children in any Sikh faith school. Sikhs of today's age like marble, GOLD, putting them on Gurudwara walls (sorry, nothing offensive), beautiful clothings, perfumes, our tastes are of RAJA-MAHARAJS, but we have forgot fighting/warrior skills :). No Sikh is ready to die now :).

Even Langar Sewa is something which we do within ourselves, I personally think Guru Nanak Dev Jee's message of food for poor/saint has really been understood in its entirety. A lot of times, there is competition when Langar is sponsored by individuals to prepare a much better menu than his/her competitor :). Sorry, I am be wrong at lots of place, I am not perfect.

PS - We are discussing civilians over here.