All Roads Lead Back To Sikhi

Wales85

Try to start by being the best person you can be (and i'm not saying i'm better than you).

Try to help as many people as you can help around you and throughtout the world via your dasvandh (charitable donations).

In due course, try to reach the level of an Amritdhari Sikh.

To give you a good example of an Amritdhari Sikh - take a look at life of Bhai Puran Singh Ji.

All the best boyo! :-)

the easiest way is to always go to satsangat, their energy will help you progress. i have noticed more difference in the level of my sikhi jeevan in this past year than i have in any previous year, and the reason is b/c maharaj took me to satsangat more often. if you don't understand and there are no english programs in your area (sometimes gurmat schools have english programs), then i suggest going to the naam japna sessions, going to listen to kirtan, and learning punjabi. also, reading sakhyian of the the Gurus and sants helps immensely when the going gets tough. if you can, going to the amrit vela meditation sessions can be a big boost.

So how does one begin. How do you start becoming a sikh? I want a few practical goals that I can aim for. Good books? Videos? MP3? Learn punjabi?

Personally I think the language thing is important.

Learning everyday Panjabi helps a Sikh to access the religious scripture in the long term. As an uncle of a mixed race Sikh, I'd say you'd be doing the child a BIG favour if you nail this one young!

My brother was indifferent to his heritage but his son, grew up with less apathy and now takes lessons in Panjabi with me when he can, though he struggles with the retroflex letters like the R's and teh nasal letters (which admittedly I too struggled with....)

So get on the wagon and learn the language with the missus and teach your child. Also accept that for obvious reasons (if you and the missus does right!) your child may quickly become more proficient in the language than you (at least with pronunciation).

All the best!

Use the books linked in this forums book club and it may help to read this:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/index.php/topic/14814-learning-to-read-write-gurmukhipanjabi-tips-on-getting-started/page__fromsearch__1

which I typed up a short while ago for another brother who wanted to up his linguistic skills.