Guest Seva Singh

Guest Seva Singh

Working with many Sikh children, I have noticed that they are still taking off there Kara's for PE at school and then forgetting to put them back on / losing them etc.

I have decided to have manufactured SINGH and KAUR sweatbands, so that the Kara is protected at schools when doing PE, the children are being encouraged to use and be proud of there Surnames, and by being orange in colour, raising awareness of the issues happening around Bhai Rajoana Ji.

Firstly, any objections to the idea of these sweatbands by anyone ?

Secondly, if you wish to order for camps / prizes / gifts etc, then only £2 each - email mrharkiratsingh@sky.com or call 07968 143546. All profits to local charity.

Thanks.post-0-0-65273000-1341356241_thumb.jpg

Why are taking there karas off at pe? I have been going to school here in the US since 4th grade where there were no sikhs or indians at all and i explained to the principal i need to keep this on for religious purposes and i was never asked to take it off. The parents should take the iniative to tell the school district, teacher, principals that it shouldnt be required to be taken off.

I have never been asked about my kara throughout elementary school to high school and kept it on almost all the time. Only time you should really remove it is if you're going to play tackle football (or something similar - contact support) but even then i probably wouldn't remove it. My kara has round edges and isn't very big so I'm sure it should be fine for P.E.

Great initiative.

Also the Sikhi Camps this summer should focus on this issue as many our kids don't seem to feel empowered enough to fight their corner when it comes to being asked to remove their kara for PE. When the issue arose at my 5 year old kid's school we found out he was the only Sikh kid in his year who wanted to keep his kara on during PE, the other 20 Sikh kids had no issue and were happy to remove. The school agreed on the sweatband as a covering and as time went on a few of the other Sikh kids also started wearing the sweatbands to cover their kara during PE.

We live in an age of "Health & Safety" risk assessments which sometimes has an effect on the right to wear our kakaars. Unfortunately Jathebhandis/Sikh bodies aren't really addressing the issue top down so it's left up to indvidual families to deal with the kaakar issues as and when they manifest at a local level.