~ Humbleness And Wearing Jewelry~

N30S1NGH

I came across with this video:

I just wanted to get sangat opinion on it.

My opinion which is based on 2nd side of gurmat coin:

Even though i personally don't prefer to wear jewelry (as my surti is more aligned with bairaag and tyaag), I have to agree with the video above- just because you were jewelry that does not automatically mean you are not humble, one could be raja and still be jogi khalsa. Khalsa is given all the guns which we see them in raj jog sant khalsa to bairaagi tyagi-sant khalsa in our history.

However, in essence everyone knows majority of sikhs (gents and ladies) alike wear jewelry for superficial reason which is not aligned with gurmat. Reasoning of why one wear jewelry should be explored rather than just "knee je r k reaction" wearing jewelry is bad.

Gurmat is not black and white- there are always two sides of gurmat(coin) even starting all the way from nirgun and sargun to nirgun upasana and sargun upasana to sant khalsa and sant (divane/mastane) to raja jogi and bairagi jogi to bhramgyani surti which sees bhram in this jagat and bhramgyani surti which sees this jagat as mithiya (in essence they know everything is bhram)- same avastha - no difference.

I will end my post with few of many shining examples:

We have sant sobha singh ji, sant baba sahib singh bedi, sant bir singh ji nauragabad, sant karam singh ji hoti mardan wale, sant isher singh ji rara sahib wale from bhai dya singh samparda and many more from other samparda's who were raja yogi adorned all the jewelries.

Then

We have sant nand singh ji kaleran wale, Sant jwala singh ji harkhowale, sant baba gurbachan singh ji bhindranwale, sant attar singh ji reru sahib wale/ sant khuda singh ji from (same bhai dya singh ji samparda) and many more from other samparda's who were bairaagi tyaagi mahapursh.

Well the whole point of this post to point out rigid thinking in our panth contary to what gurmat teaches, as i said earlier- Reasoning of why one wear jewelry should be explored rather than just "knee je rk reaction" wearing jewelry is bad.

I also wanted to point out, i also know bhai sahib harbhajan singh yogi is somewhat harsh in the video, but sometimes you need beparvah gurmukh to set the record straight/remove rigid thinking of black and white (thanks to bhausarias and Victorian influence in sikhi). Only beparvah bachans of gurmukhs can get sikhs stuck at shariat "out" from it so they can advance in other stages - tariqat, marfat, and hakikat.

I remember hearing this story once. There was an Amritdhari Sikh working behind a ticket counter. He looked up and saw another Amritdhari Sikh approaching him, who was wearing a Golden necklace, Jewel in his turban, and rings. The Sikh beijing the counter said, "why are you wearing all these jewels? Dont you know that Gueuji told us to be humble people?" the one wearing the jewels replied, "I am wearing these because Dasveen Patshahi wore them, and made me in his image, it has nothing to do with being humble"

I'm not trying to start a debate, whether or not Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji wore jewels, but the point is that I think you can wear them as long as you are not wearing them to enhance your ego or something like that.

Khalsa Ji

Some interesting and thought provoking comments in the video. Yes Gurmat accepts the state of tyagh (detachment) for one to become a Khalsa. Gurmat also insists on the tyagh of ego in order to become a Khalsa. When one individual refers to other individualsa as monkeys then does this conform to Gurmat?

Then we have Prem Sumarag Granth shows khalsa can be raja jogi with jewel braclet, jeweled ornament on guru maharaj special gift- our turban. I am not saying the above quote by bhai dya singh ji or contents of adorned jewelry in prem sumarag granth are incorrect. I am sure they are both correct. It makes perfect sense if we look at things from context of gurmat is two sided coin as i mentioned earlier both raj jog khalsa and bairaagi tyaagi khalsa are well accepted and aligned with gurmat.

They are plenty of live examples mentioned above.

Posted Today, 02:44 AM

Khalsa Ji

Some interesting and thought provoking comments in the video. Yes Gurmat accepts the state of tyagh (detachment) for one to become a Khalsa. Gurmat also insists on the tyagh of ego in order to become a Khalsa. When one individual refers to other individualsa as monkeys then does this conform to Gurmat?

I totally agree with Mokham Singh. That monkey comment was not called for. Only reason i can think - while most punjabi sikhs were supportive of bhai harbhajan singh ji yogi attempt to spread sikhi abroad, there were handful of them who were quite jealous of him and start spreading nindya (quite expected), kind of same attitude of our people when they turned away millions of dalits from taking amrit.

Khalsa Ji

Some preachers quite eagerly point out that 10th Patshahi said "Khalsa mera Satgur poora"....

What we as Sikhs must realise is that Guru Ji are full to the brim nimratah (being humble). How many Sikhs can claim that that their avastah or kamaiee exceeds that of Guru Ji?

Khalsa Ji we must take Guru Ji's praise in the context that it is their nimratah when they say such things.

But yes the bottom line is internal detachment from maya. Like the preacher says some will be attached to maya even without having it whereas others will be detached whilst having an abundance of it.

But yes the bottom line is internal detachment from maya. Like the preacher says some will be attached to maya even without having it whereas others will be detached whilst having an abundance of it.

That's exactly it...Bhai Gurdas ji in his varan narrates raja janak ji parsang, in which he was called- Gurmukh Maya Vich Udasi - that despite of being raja and living like raja outside and he was jogi and de-attached- udasi

At the end of day, wearing jewerly or not should *NOT* be criteria for someone to judge if that person is humble, gurmukh, gursikh or not.