Xferring Farmland From Punjab --> Usa

Guest farm

This question is directed at farmers (both nri's and Indian farmers). Well I'm born and raised in the States, but I have a strong relationship with Punjab and visit often (as of late). I was pondering whether it is more practical to sell most of the farmland in Punjab and buy more in USA and keep some farmland in Punjab to keep your roots established. For example if one acre in Punjab is 5 dollars and one acre in USA is 1 dollar, according to this ratio, would it be more logical to buy land in USA? It would seem so but Punjab land prices are going up almost exponentially and aren't stopping, I am scared that eventually someone may try to "Nap" or occupy/steal the zameen and/or the prices will crash.

Any advice is appreciated

Guest FAKE SIKHS

Let poor people stay there rent free, and help them get jobs.

They'll look after your house like it's gold while you're away and you'd be doing a deed that all the fake sikhs(99.99%) should be doing.

Let poor people stay there rent free, and help them get jobs.

They'll look after your house like it's gold while you're away and you'd be doing a deed that all the fake sikhs(99.99%) should be doing.

There's a saying "avde peerdi thalle sota maro". Anyways, it seems like you don't know the situation of Punjab. There is really no one you can trust in Punjab and I am not making any decisions, I am just brainstorming. Secondly, I said partial farmland so that means not all the khayth and i didn't even mention the house lol.

There are ways of helping people without giving them access to millions of dollars worth of land, what you're saying is foolish, not a "bhagat" act. Sikhs live worldly and spiritual lives and do need necessities and having land doesn't mean you can't help people. Instead of trying to put someone down focus on yourself, it's easy to become bold and call someone a fake Sikh on the internet lol. In the current situation of that area, someone can "nap" your zameen and an NRI can't do a thing about it.

Bump- still looking for any input.

Guest Guest

If you have Personal links with people in Power then keep your landholdings.

If NOT then it's better to sell and transfer money.

It will always be All or Nothing situation in Punjab so don't be greedy, play safe !

Mr or Miss _farm_, I've actually had this conversation many times before with friends and relations. Many of them have MBA's and are are masters at what they call 'investments' and banking etc. But....when it comes to the land of their mother's birth they turn into dunces. Because of their ignorance about the 'poverty' they think their parents escaped from their 'economic' genius turns into nothing more than a hot steaming pile of dog poo.

Everyone is searching for that great investment. Us Sikhs more than anyone because we our religion teaches us to function well in society. Everyone is looking for the best bank account that pays the best interest. Everyone is looking for the ideal property investment that gives the best yield. But tell me bruvs......Is there any bank account or investment out there that has, year by year, given a better yield than agricultural land in Punjab ?

The anwser is of course 'No'. There is a reason why a very uncouth uneduacated farmer from Punjab can suddenly emigrate and then own a few thousand acres of peaches and walnuts in California, Peanuts in Argentina, Bananas in Australia and Berries in Canada. The reason is because with his 1 acre in Punjab he can buy 100 acres in the western world. The agricultural farmland in Punjab is the most expensive.....the most valuable on earth.

I'm sorry but when I saw your question this is the way I interpreted it :

" Me and my family have got money in a bank account paying 88% interest every year, which will probably keep my family in good financial health for the next 200 years...However, I've noticed that all the 'sophisticated' white people have their money in banks paying 3.4% interest per year. I'd like to be like them. Can anybody help me ? "

Nuff said.

As for the advice you got from a brother / sister advising you to let a poor sikh family stayon your farm. Well.....I am sorry but until we Sikhs get free from the shackles of those that illegaly occupy us, and change our way of thinking, you must never ever let anyone in Punjab stay on your property (unless they are trusted blood relatives). We western Sikhs have ideals of basic honesty. Basic honesty does not exist in anyone, regardless of religion, in Punjab. Let a poor sikh family stay on your land and I guaratee you and your chilldren will spend the next 30 years in court trying to get them out.

So....cut a long story short......gold goes up and down.....shares go up and down....property prices go up and down....interest rates go up and down. There is only one thing on earth that goes up and up and up and up every single day for all eternity.....and that is the thing you've got and are wondering whether you should sell. Oh silly you.

WJKK WJKF

I also agree that nowadays its very hard to trust people with your land/property. In this kalyug, everybody is out for themselves, and yes its got so bad in india amongst blood relatives too. But there are some families who do have trusting and sincere links with their relatives back in india.

If it was me deciding, I would keep some land in india, and let somebody i trusted to lookafter it, as if you're going back often, its wise to have something to go back to, and it is ur roots end of day, would be a shame to lose that connection.

But also remember you can only buy land if you have an indian passport, the legal way.

If you are an NRI, such as uk, then you can get one of those NRI cards, but it does not allow you to buy land, althou u can buy property, I think, but not fully sure you may want to research and check that.

Not sure of USA rules for NRI's.

Mr or Miss _farm_, I've actually had this conversation many times before with friends and relations. Many of them have MBA's and are are masters at what they call 'investments' and banking etc. But....when it comes to the land of their mother's birth they turn into dunces. Because of their ignorance about the 'poverty' they think their parents escaped from their 'economic' genius turns into nothing more than a hot steaming pile of dog poo.

Everyone is searching for that great investment. Us Sikhs more than anyone because we our religion teaches us to function well in society. Everyone is looking for the best bank account that pays the best interest. Everyone is looking for the ideal property investment that gives the best yield. But tell me bruvs......Is there any bank account or investment out there that has, year by year, given a better yield than agricultural land in Punjab ?

The anwser is of course 'No'. There is a reason why a very uncouth uneduacated farmer from Punjab can suddenly emigrate and then own a few thousand acres of peaches and walnuts in California, Peanuts in Argentina, Bananas in Australia and Berries in Canada. The reason is because with his 1 acre in Punjab he can buy 100 acres in the western world. The agricultural farmland in Punjab is the most expensive.....the most valuable on earth.

I'm sorry but when I saw your question this is the way I interpreted it :

" Me and my family have got money in a bank account paying 88% interest every year, which will probably keep my family in good financial health for the next 200 years...However, I've noticed that all the 'sophisticated' white people have their money in banks paying 3.4% interest per year. I'd like to be like them. Can anybody help me ? "

Nuff said.

As for the advice you got from a brother / sister advising you to let a poor sikh family stayon your farm. Well.....I am sorry but until we Sikhs get free from the shackles of those that illegaly occupy us, and change our way of thinking, you must never ever let anyone in Punjab stay on your property (unless they are trusted blood relatives). We western Sikhs have ideals of basic honesty. Basic honesty does not exist in anyone, regardless of religion, in Punjab. Let a poor sikh family stay on your land and I guaratee you and your chilldren will spend the next 30 years in court trying to get them out.

So....cut a long story short......gold goes up and down.....shares go up and down....property prices go up and down....interest rates go up and down. There is only one thing on earth that goes up and up and up and up every single day for all eternity.....and that is the thing you've got and are wondering whether you should sell. Oh silly you.

True, I was just pondering the question, nor am I in a position to make a decision (nor do i want to make the decision)

In the future i'm actually planning on possibly living in Punjab for 6 months and in California for 6 months.

Made the topic just to see different views basically due to trust issues with family over there. Won't go into detail but the person who has control of all the zameen is dishonest, greedy and is taking everyone's share when he should be taking only a fraction. I want to keep my roots in Punjab and also look down upon farmers selling zameen in Punjab, thanks for reminding me why.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I would sell your zameen in Punjab, prices in Punjab are high for a reason, because of residential development, its not the land itself.

Punjabis aren't rich because they sell off zameen, they'll work 24/7 days a week for passai. I would suggest looking at Saskatchewan or so.

Cheers

My father owns about 4 acres of Punjab, I am hoping he'll sell it, buy land in Vancouver

Honestly, I would sell your zameen in Punjab, prices in Punjab are high for a reason, because of residential development, its not the land itself.

Punjabis aren't rich because they sell off zameen, they'll work 24/7 days a week for passai. I would suggest looking at Saskatchewan or so.

Cheers

My father owns about 4 acres of Punjab, I am hoping he'll sell it, buy land in Vancouver

Thats a lame answer on every level. Prices of agricultural land have been going up in doaba every single day continously since the 1950's since the the people left en-masse to England. Where was your magical 'Residential Development' then ? It goes up because the rural dispora creates a sellers market. In other words, for every acre for sale there are at least a dozen in the diaspora chasing it...thus outbidding each other. Its been like that in doaba for the last 60 years....without any 'residential development' in the horizon. And now, with the malwais also finally being part of the diaspora, malwa is starting to experience the same thing. Obviously the outskirts of Ludhiana is the exception to the general rule because the wealth and growth of Ludhiana city has been phenomenal.....but the Ludhiana example is unique to Ludhiana. The lands of most of us are far away from any small kazba let alone large mega city.

Anyway, I've noticed alot of Canadians, after pressure from their ill-informed children, do sometimes sell the ansestoral land. Perhaps because of a sign of the times we live in, the UK Sikhs by and large tend to hang on to the 1950's and 60's ideals of land and thus hardly ever sell. It is very rare to find a UK Sikh family that is willing to sell.