Best Areas In West Midlands

Guest Gupt

Guest experienced bandah

Yeah agree with above... Sutton colfield.. little aston... parts of hagely and stourbridge are nice. Also plenty of villages around birmingham are nice e.g. barnt green etc.. down the M5 you got worcester plenty of nice villages around it too

You need to think about this move more carefully Gupt. Its all very well being able to live in a much bigger house at a much cheaper price but....the future is not you....The future is your children. Think about them. You bring your children up in the midlands and they'll grow up with an English language accent that will never, in a million years, gain them positions of respect and authority outside of the west midlands. You'll be condemming them to a life of ridicule. And, as is often seem from english language discussions on the Sikh Channel, they will probably grow up speaking a standard and command of English and its pronounciation that is 2 levels lower than that of an educated immigrant to this country. Stay in London fella. Think of the children.

Just some slight stereotyping of people from the West Midlands..so which position of respect and authoriy have you acheived with your accent?

Are you a lollypop man on the Southall Broadway?

Guest Kluivert

Just some slight stereotyping of people from the West Midlands..so which position of respect and authoriy have you acheived with your accent?

Are you from Canada or West Midlands??

Leamington Spa / Warwick

Without a DOUBT :biggrin2:

Ease of access to any other area in England. Brand new Gurdwara Sahib. Lots of prospect for the Youth here. Academically, you will find very good schools, colleges and Universities in the vicinity.

Environment is very friendly.

Economically, there is new development all around this area, in terms of newer houses, and infrastructure on the rise.

Everything is conveniently close, but you have the added factor that there is plenty of PRIVACY here (which is important).

Cost of living is much cheaper compared to down south.

Crime rate is very low.

(never thought of this factor until other members here started to criticise the Midlands Accents. There is NO accent affiliated with this area. Its Neutral and that goes for everybody in this region, not just apnaay).

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

Didn't realise there was a lollypop man on the Broadway. Don't see why there would be , seeing as its been educational policy in this country for the last 40 years that primary schoolchildren will go to the schools that fall on their side of the main road. But thenm again, hissing, you have told us your'e a midlander and Birmingham is famous for being the only metropolitan area in the whole country that still has the grammar school system, whereas the rest of the country banned them in the 1950's. Naturally then, you come from a different 'lollypop man' culture. Good luck with that.

However, seeing as you now consider yourself a Londoner can I please remind you that of the West London Sikh community only a very small percentage of them live in 'Southall'. You clearly don't yet know enough about the city you now call home. And while we're on the subject, can I ask, whenever you back to the midlands do you tell people you live in London or do you still call the city 'Loondoon' ?

As for what you call the general 'stereotypes', there is a very serious issue here. Believe it or not, I'm not generalising here. I'm sure all midlands people are lovely, intelligent folk but you can't escape the reality of what the Londoners / southerners think of the midlands accent. You can't escape from the fact that they find it extremely difficult to respect anything that comes out of the mouth of someone from the west midlands. Study after study has proven this to be the case.

In our Sikh setting this is actually a very serious issue. For example, have you not noticed how the Christian, Jewish, Muslim tv channels never ever have a preacher or lecturer from the west midlands giving sermons or talking about history / politics. Thats because nobody would listen to them with any seriousness. Lets take the muslim tv channels for example. Even though they, as a whole, are ovewhelmingly a northern community they make sure that their English speaking presenters and guests are always well spoken southerners. When it comes to our Sikh tv channels however, we have a serious problem. More often than not, the presenters and gusts, on the English language youth programmes, are from the west midlands. Both you and I know that virtually all the Sikh youths are paying no attention at all to the actual message because they can't get past the fact that its being said in the midlands accent. No other community in the country would put a midlands accent on tv when trying to convey serious, spiritual or political messages. It just doesn't work. People in the south inherently see that accent as the accent of the clown. The preachers might as well be trying to deliver a talk on the massacre of sikhs in delhi whilst wearing a clown's outfit. It would have the same effect.

Thus....I was merely pointing out to the original poster that a move from London to Birmingham would result in his children being a subjected to a life of ridicule if they ever, in the future, decide to make a name for themselves outside of the west midlands. This is an undeniable fact.

Didn't realise there was a lollypop man on the Broadway. Don't see why there would be , seeing as its been educational policy in this country for the last 40

Thus....I was merely pointing out to the original poster that a move from London to Birmingham would result in his children being a subjected to a life of ridicule if they ever, in the future, decide to make a name for themselves outside of the west midlands. This is an undeniable fact.

I actually don't care about your opinion on this or anything else. The problem you have is that you base your analysis of most matters on minor anecdotes or your own prejudices. You do not base it on real evidence.

I don't label myself as a Londoner or Midlander.

If you actually looked at the evidence, you would realise that accents vary considerably by geography and socio-economic background. For example, in the West Midlands, accents tend to be strong towards Wolverhampton and less strong towards Coventry. This is a fact.

If you have an education with a strong English language/literature component, you are unlikely to have a strong regional accent. Fact.

If your parents do not have strong regional accents, this will reduce the likelihood of a strong accent in their children. Fact.

Accents also vary considerably across London too. Fact. I assume you don't speak like someone from Dagenham or Bexleyheath??

Thus...your point that a move from London to Birmingham would result in a life of ridicule is based on nothing, except your own prejudices.

As for Sikh channels, why don't you apply to be a presenter?

hey guys I'm just reposting a question i asked on this thread a while back but no one answered.

I'm soon going to be doing a study abroad program to England from the US.

Where is the best place to stay? Southall?

All depends on what you're gonna study and where you intend studying it Singher23....and, dare I say it, how long you intend to stay, i.e long enough to pick up an accent ?

As you can see, from discussions here, we are a class ridden society judged on accents....where accents change drastically every dozen or so miles and our lives are judged on them.

But seriously, what do you intend to study and where ?