Is Listening To Music Bad For Gurskih

scooter

^^ as in, people saying.. "..anything that aint keertan is bad.." ???????

what is your take on this topic?

Yeah.

First answer explains your second question, I'm sorry but I don't want to get involved in this topic too deep so I won't go into depth (haven't got too much time on my hands at the moment)

• 2 weeks later...

Vaheguru Jee...

Please forgive me for anything that offends anyone.

I generally believe that it depends on what you are listening to....if it is just plain music which relaxes you or likewise then personally I believe there is no harm in listening to that at all to be honest.

However if listening to music involves listening to songs then that is another distraction which will only stray you away from simran. This is because the majority of the songs have lyrics which will only enhance and cause the mind to wonder even more than it already wonders as the lyrics are angry,lustful etc....Im sure you catch my drift.

Keertan,gurbani and simran is the way....leave all these songs behind and know that this isnt going to take you anywhere but is just another distraction in the wordl that we live in....

Guru Arjun Dev Jee says:

O my fascinating Lord, may I never listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause||

A rehatnama by Bhai Nand Laal Jee mentions:

Those who listen to dirty lyrics and lustful tunes with attention, listen Nand Lal Jee, they will be punished by the angel of death.;

We should remember that whatever time we have, we should use it wisely and be careful of how we use it....the mind already wonders but fuelling it even more isn't going to help and things like songs only fuel that....at the end of the day every breath is being counted....so we must use our time here wisely

Bhull Chuk Maaf Jee

Some of you guys have really lost the plot! Absolutely fanatical, can't believe it really. Lost for words.

Yeah.

First answer explains your second question, I'm sorry but I don't want to get involved in this topic too deep so I won't go into depth (haven't got too much time on my hands at the moment)

Sorry friend, this khullaa dullaa verson of Sikhi practiced today by so-called modern/urban Sikhs is what has caused so much damage and confusion. Need to keep it simple and disciplined, like it was back in the good old days when we were genuinely 1 = 125,000.

Sorry friend, this khullaa dullaa verson of Sikhi practiced today by so-called modern/urban Sikhs is what has caused so much damage and confusion. Need to keep it simple and disciplined, like it was back in the good old days when we were genuinely 1 = 125,000.

Sikhi is not dogmatic, like how many so called know it alls (not necessarily you) make it out to be. That's what makes it beautiful and unique. Anyway, I'm not saying you should listen to what ever you want, obviously there has to be limits. For example, hardcore gangster rap is obviously a no no. But what gets to me is when you lot say anything but kirtan is off limits. That's where it becomes pretty extreme and quite frankly, silly. It depends on what is being said in the song, the level of spirituality of the listener and the intentions to listen to it. Every case is different. Things are not black and white at all.

Read my above post

Sikhi is not dogmatic, like how many so called know it alls (not necessarily you) make it out to be. That's what makes it beautiful and unique.

Anyway, I'm not saying you should listen to what ever you want, obviously there has to be limits. For example, hardcore gangster rap is obviously a no no. But what gets to me is when you lot say anything but kirtan is off limits. That's where it becomes pretty extreme and quite frankly, silly. It depends on what is being said in the song, the level of spirituality of the listener and the intentions to listen to it. Every case is different. Things are not black and white at all.

Why do you call it dogma (rule that you don't like, if you liked it then you wouldn't have spoken against it) when another calls it following Satguru's Hukam (Pyare). The poster above you has given a Shabad that tells us exactly waht not to do and what to do. YOu see this as dogma. We all don't have enough pyare for Maharaj, but when you refer to it as dogma, then you reveal something of your jeevan. YOu seriously lack a deeper pyare for Maharaj. A husband and wife get tried sometimes from listening to their spouse talk, when they have been married for a long time. Then they go find some quiet time alone or find a activity (chilling with the boys) to do that get's them far away from their spouse. When we say i can listen to the faithless cynic, then we are utlimately saying, Maharaj I am tried of listening to/reading Gurbani in katha, kirtan, Dhadhi, paat form. So I need a break. Some take a couple hour break and some take a day break and the really unfortunate souls take year or many life time breaks. Essentially, Gurbani doesn't give us a feeling of contentment (we lack the ability to understand Gurbani). Have you ever seen a dog filled with love for his owner, where the dog can't control himself and is jumping allover the owner. But when the owner leaves the dog is alright for a bit, but then completely gets depressed because his owner isn't there with him. Another can come, but the dog lays in the same position depressed and sings his owners praises all day, wishing the owner will come back. But as soon as the owner comes back the dog regains all it's energy and is a completely different dog.

Gurbani tells us to do paat 24/7. You see this as dogma, but a Gursikh see's this as being in love. Just like you don't tell yourself to breath and your body is in love with the breath. Gursikhs don't have to force the 24/7 pyare for Maharaj. Just like how the fish can't live without water for a second, a Sikh can't live without Gurbani for a second. Gurbani gives us the metaphor how a bride longs for her husband to come back home and can't live without him. Another person or a group of friends can come to the house, but the bride is still waiting for her husband and the feeling of separation is not departing. In the same way we need to develop the pyare for Maharaj. When the husband comes home, then the bride is filled with joy and content. This bride will not search else where for love and Satguru tells us we need to learn from this and love Maharaj this way.

Read my above post

Read it and this is the message Maharaj is giving us

AiBmwnu Koie Koie Koie KoeI hau mo kau siqgur mMqRü idRVwey ]3] abhimaan khoe khoe khoe khoee ho mo ko sathigur ma(n)thra dhrirraaeae ||3|| I have destroyed, destroyed, destroyed my pride, since the True Guru implanted His Mantra within me. ||3||

This line is from the shabad the above poster from your post pasted a link too.