I Feel Cold And Shaking While Reciting Gurbani

scooter

WJKK WJKF

I have seen that whenever i do nitnem then my body starts vibrating . Like the current flows through whole body.

Does anyone else experience that. Looks like the body will explode.

Also sometimes when i talk to some about Guru shaib then suddenly i start feeling cold. very very cold that my body starts shivering with cold. It happens even in summer as well.

Any ideas??

Guest Gurus Chela

Yeh, its your body changing- more namely your chakras beginning to spin and your kundalini possibly rising.

You're feelings of cold and shaking whilst speaking about Guru Ji is the power of Truth taking it's course. A beautiful energy comes about when we speak Truth and wherever it is spoken, God is present.

So keep going. Practice Naam/truth, we are told to do bhagti/practice Naam/Truth in most pages of Gurbani.

I am not sure if its enjoyable or not. But i was thinking if thats some kind of disease or body disorder. You are never sure.

I have also read that if someone is thinking of having darshan of Guru sahib then first he should check with psychiatrist whether its real or some mental problem .

On the path of bhagti you will have many experiences, some being enjoyable and some not so much. But it is important that you do not get attached to them. If you think it is a body disorder and causing you trouble then it should be checked out. The vibrations can be due to some of the 72000 nadis being purified. Any meditation and yoga also leads to similar affects where the whole body starts vibrating, this is because there is a change in breathing pattern.

Your shivering could be due to the energy flow in the nadis at the sushmana, which causes the body to become cold, while the pingula causes the body to become warm. But this not the aim of bhagti or gurmat to control them. You getting cold when you think of guru ji is because you have linked this thought to be a meditative one; where if you notice for a split second your breathing pattern changes or you have psychologically linked this thought of bringing this experience to you. For e.g. when you see others yawn; you sometimes yawn as well because you have psychologically learnt this.

Try this.. start breathing in and out really quickly for about 1 min+ you should be able to increase your body temp.

Notice when you are angry or relaxed see how your breathing differs (you have also learnt how to become angry and happy when you were young from others). Also when you were doing nitnem you were probably trying to change your thought process, which leads to change in breathing hence causing this experience. To be honest people have had countless experiences but please see where these experiences lead you. The path of truth is amazing so keep walking on it!

Guest thanda_naam

I am not sure if its enjoyable or not. But i was thinking if thats some kind of disease or body disorder. You are never sure.

I have also read that if someone is thinking of having darshan of Guru sahib then first he should check with psychiatrist whether its real or some mental problem .

If it happens only during Gurbani reading, then its not a body disorder. Going to psychiatrists won't be helpful.

This might have to do with the Shakti generated by Gurbani, either your body cannot handle it or its just your body is going through some changes for the better.

Giani Thakur Singh ji tells about people experience where they would feel so cold, and would start shaking and shivering during meditation/ bhagti/ gurbani jaap. So if other Gursikhs experience it , it might be a common experience for those who are very high in spiritual sadhana.

Psychiatrists wont be able to answer if you are in fact getting real darshan or not. I will tell you how Sant Jarnail Singh Got Darshan of Guru Nanak for first time. He did 22 hours of Bhagti everyday, slept only 2 hours, for 40 days and then had darshan on 40th day. So if your kamai is less than that and you are having darshan it might be an illlusion.

Darshan ko loche sab koi, pooran bhag prapat hoe

hope that helps

Guest Little Story

^^I am not 'beyond the ego'

Gurbani clearly tells us that we all go back to where we came from, hence the journey of bhagti is a journey directed backwards, not forwards- we are already divine Truth/Nothingness/God. We are just deluded into believing we are something else.

Say God is a Lioness who gives birth to many cubs- but her cubs go astray and after a couple of years, think they are hyenas.

Their mistaken identities lead them to behave like hyenas. They go wild and eat the wrong foods, hurt each other and themselves and are greedy, angry, envious, jealous, lustful and full of attachment to dirty things and to each other. The further away from their mother the lioness they get, the more they become like crazy hyenas.

Then, one day, one gets hurt badly(dukhi). This makes him stop, take a deep breath and look around at his fellow deluded animal companions. He now sees the 5 theives and filth and realises that this is not who he truly is. He suddenly realises he is without a mother- but starts to feel his mothers love emanating from within his heart and from without, a feeling beyond logic and description.

He decides to go back to his mother where he knows he'll find his true nature and true love. But theres so much torture on the way home- he is attacked by others, called names, told that he is a dirty hyena at every turn. He must cross rivers and jump from cliff to cliff, but the closer he gets to his mum, the more the feeling of love grows. He begins to embrace the difficulties as beautiful, because without them, he knows he wont find his mother and the worst feeling of emptiness and feeling like a false being comes back.

Until finally one day, after all of the torture, he finds his mother up on a cliff. She has been watching him all his life- She knew he'd come back as she knows everything. She wrote his story so that he could discover unconditional love himself to delve deep into his heart and realise he's a lion, the same as her. He looks down and he has turned golden, his tail is that of a lion and he has the most beautiful mane. He has reached home, he and his mother embrace and remain like that for eternity.

^^Although thats a really weak eg., (as we truly have no form, God has no form, and God is us and we are God, in this story:

1)being a lion=being imageless Nothingess/Truth

2)being a hyena=being human)

Hopefully it's shown that we started off as Nothingness, we are still nothingness(=lion in the story), but are deluded into believing we are a Something.

Believing we are a Something=Mind=Ego=Five theives= Hyena in the story.

Projection of mind/ego=the further away the lions get from their mother.

The more we delve within our hearts and through fearlessness of dukhi and unattachment to dukh and sukh, we not only discover, but become unconditional love. The closer we get to God/Nothingness(through the heart-the gateway to discovering Truth, the closer we get to discovering our True origin-the Nothingness.