Kirtaniaaas & Money & Stage ??

S1ngh

Since i was kid.. i do not approve of giving sewa (money) to kirtaniass when they are doing kirtan on stage.. Giving Sewa after the kirtan and not in front of public is ok.. I don't know when this stuff started.. But does this practice usually runs during our guru sahibs time?? it's distraction and plus it discourage raggis sahib jeees and it brings competition between raggis world and THAT"S the reason we see em doing kirtan in Filmi Tunes and stuff..

I really wanted to know when it started?? if anyone knows.. cauz i think our guru sahib jees would never approved any of this.. Im not against giving the sewa, i think they deserve more.. but the style of giving it is not cool..

Sorry if offended anyone... but what you guys really think??

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Rehat.asp?ID=27

DO NOT SELL GURBANI

REHAT

gurU kw isK poQI ilK, pVHky vycy nwhI

guroo kaa sikh pothhee likha parrhakae vaechae naahee

The Sikh of the Guru should never write or read Gurbani with the intention of selling it.

Rehatnama Bhai Chaupaa Singh Jee

GURBANI

iDRgu iqnw kw jIivAw ij iliK iliK vycih nwau ]

dhhrig thinaa kaa jeeviaa j likh likh vaechehi naao ||

Cursed are the lives of those who read and write the Lord's Name to sell it.

Find Shabad

Page 1245 Guru Nanak Dev Jee Salok

[fonts: GurbaniWebThick]

well, if we follow the above Rehit then it is not allowed to sell Gurbani!

however do Keertaniays have the intention to make money by doing Keertan? if so, then it is wrong! But if they are not then i guess, it is okey to give some money to Keertanis.....

but it would be better that we doing not do so....maybe others can give some more input...

I personally never give money to the kirtanias, because their kirtan is priceless, and singing the lord's praises is priceless, you can't match that with anything in this world.

There has been controversy with giving money to the keertanias, some say the keertanias are just doing that to make money, and live at the Gurdwara.

Also I've even heard stories that these keertanias do very bad things, like drink, goto "bad places", :D @!!

I don't know if its true, but I don't want any of my money or the sangat's money going towards helping em drink, etc.

I'm very sorry if I said anything wrong, its what I hear so please daas dee bhul chuk maaf karnee!! ^_^

i also believe that is wrong too...but some of the kertananies or katha vachak people "say" that the money that the sangat gives goes to charity or some other seva...so i really don't kno how much of it is tru... Also these jathas already get money from the gurdwara...Hopefully someday this tradition of giving money during kitan will end!

bhul chuk maaf

Gurfateh

Guest SikhForLife

it will never end unless we start a revolution

veero these keertanias are very poor (most of them who come from india) and people give them money not because they liked their keertan but because its like a donation

and some other pppl give money cuz they want to stand infront of the sangat and look cool walking to the ragi to drop the money.. i know this sounds silly but there are people who only give money cuz of that

there could a better way to do this, give the money to the GW and then the GW will give the money to the raagis later

just put it in the golak

but u see the thing is that.. the raagis themselves shouldnt be greedy.. like some would do keertan later when theres a lot more sangat so they get more money. and if u notice : the katha vaachaks get the least money from people... (atleast its like that here)

we cant change the people fast but we can change the system:::

kirtanis deserve our money its seva

its their source of income

But veer jee,

the point is that it shouldnt be. Nobody should make that their source of income!! Instead of getting a real job these people say "Oh I will just go to america and dress like an amritdhari and do keertan and bring back loads of money"

Thats ridiculous and it needs to stop. If people at gurudwara did keertan from their hearts instead of for money (much like great keertanis of akj/taksal and other jathas) then i guarantee we will have a LOT more people getting into sikhi...

Of course.. raggis, kirtaniass and all other religious sewadars needs more $$ Sewa as compare to what they get now.. But our system is very poor to handle and maintain these stuffs..

Compare the pay of Father of church with the Head granthi of Our local gurdwara sahib.. ohmy.gif A thousand bucks a month.. ummm not enuf...

The point is that sikhi doesnt have priests!! in sikhi we are all sant sipahi!! we dont go into religion the same way as others do. In sikhi we dont need people to devote their lives. Yes we do need caretakers of gurudwara but this shouldnt be a paid job, food/clothing/shelter is good, thats how it was in the old days, most granthis/raagis have jobs outside anyway, they dont need to be making money off keertan, its not a second job..

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh..

waheguru ji i personally think that giving money to ragis is wrong...

but some ppl... think that's the only way to give them respect...

and i gues .. since ppl sarted believing that.. the ragiis have no more respect for bani as in singing it with passion and love for guru ji.. instead they have moh for money...which is sad.... and as the shabad posted by deep virji says that we shouldn't sell gurbani...

but waheguru ji .. personally i have no clue y they give money.. . is it respect? :T: .... :D ..dunno...

bhul chuk muaaf

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh