Learn Shaster Vidiya Guru Jees Hukam

BhaiSukhSingh

alot od people say shaster vidiya is outdated e.g.

yubacitysingh said:

======================================================================

you posting some mma fighters right now, weren't you one of the guys defending shastar vidya even though overwelming evidence points at it being a waste of time and is better to train in boxing and mma

======================================================================

then why does Guru Jee give it as our Hukam?:

Shaster vidyaa atae ghorhae di savaari da abhiaas karna

Boxing and MMA are not Shastar Vidya, they are open handed rule bound sports (although they do require intense training and give great physical ability).

Shastar Vidya (in it's broader meaning) is the knowledge of armed combat. As a Singh, one should never aim to fight empty handed, but should be able to make use of anything around him to give the advantage of a quick finish and reduce the opportunity to get into a grapple, thus not risking your dastaars beadbi. Should the dastaar be taken off, then that should too become a weapon and used for tying or strangling your attacker.

Ultimatley, the blade is the ultimate weapon, and the training required to use and defend against the blade is totally different to what the sports martial arts teach.

Bullets can run out, a gun can lock or it can take time to pull, take safety off, aim and fire a gun. Whilst a blade can be drawn and do its damage in the blink of eye.

Here is a rather old, but eye opening video of Dan Inosanto (Bruce Lee's JKD student and Bruce Lee's weapons teacher):

I humbly request that all Singhs should whole heartedly learn the art of the blade (sword, dagger and even stick) so that you can at least have a good chance of realistically defending yourself at close range. Alongside, a true 'combat' i.e. quick finish (not fight engaging/promoting) open hand system should be learnt, although if you can find a good teacher, they should be able to teach you the whole perspective.

Upon taking amrit, once should become a warrior - in every sense. Every day should be a battle against ignorance, injustice, greed, cruelty. This battle can take many forms i.e. media, journalism, human rights, politics, education etc as well as physical.

The discipline of simran and shastar vidya prepares a Singh mentally and physically, builds confidence, wisdom, patience and courage, to fight the battle in every possible field. It also maintains the all important boundary between being a courageous Singh of the Guru who upholds dharma and becoming a hankaari raakash (shakti without bhagti). Without gurbani gyaan in our essence, shakti may make us powerful, but it will be all in vain (even in Khalsa saroop).

Attaining the name Singh, bhagti is not enough, one must also daily meditate on the art and concept of death. This is how the puratan laadli fauj got the name Akalis - by conquering death (mentally, spiritually and physically i.e. no more fear of bodily pain).

Guru has gifted us shastardhari roop - we can treat this as a rvaaj or empty ritual i.e. mathha tek at Gurdwara without ever reading Gurbani or listening to it.. or we can have satkaar for Guru de bakshe kakaar and learn and meditate on their usage, nit (every day). It is only then that Dasmesh Pitas pavitar baani will become clear and come alive for us.

The same way some Sikhs 'rightly' pay much focus on ithihaas, kathhaa, gurbani paath, santhiya, kirtan, seva, simran.... one should also understand that shastar vidya is also an intricate part of a rehitvaan Singhs life.

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji ki Fat-heh

• 4 weeks later...

Boxing and MMA are not Shastar Vidya, they are open handed rule bound sports (although they do require intense training and give great physical ability).

Shastar Vidya (in it's broader meaning) is the knowledge of armed combat. As a Singh, one should never aim to fight empty handed, but should be able to make use of anything around him to give the advantage of a quick finish and reduce the opportunity to get into a grapple, thus not risking your dastaars beadbi. Should the dastaar be taken off, then that should too become a weapon and used for tying or strangling your attacker.

Ultimatley, the blade is the ultimate weapon, and the training required to use and defend against the blade is totally different to what the sports martial arts teach.

Bullets can run out, a gun can lock or it can take time to pull, take safety off, aim and fire a gun. Whilst a blade can be drawn and do its damage in the blink of eye.

Here is a rather old, but eye opening video of Dan Inosanto (Bruce Lee's JKD student and Bruce Lee's weapons teacher):

I humbly request that all Singhs should whole heartedly learn the art of the blade (sword, dagger and even stick) so that you can at least have a good chance of realistically defending yourself at close range. Alongside, a true 'combat' i.e. quick finish (not fight engaging/promoting) open hand system should be learnt, although if you can find a good teacher, they should be able to teach you the whole perspective.

Upon taking amrit, once should become a warrior - in every sense. Every day should be a battle against ignorance, injustice, greed, cruelty. This battle can take many forms i.e. media, journalism, human rights, politics, education etc as well as physical.

The discipline of simran and shastar vidya prepares a Singh mentally and physically, builds confidence, wisdom, patience and courage, to fight the battle in every possible field. It also maintains the all important boundary between being a courageous Singh of the Guru who upholds dharma and becoming a hankaari raakash (shakti without bhagti). Without gurbani gyaan in our essence, shakti may make us powerful, but it will be all in vain (even in Khalsa saroop).

Attaining the name Singh, bhagti is not enough, one must also daily meditate on the art and concept of death. This is how the puratan laadli fauj got the name Akalis - by conquering death (mentally, spiritually and physically i.e. no more fear of bodily pain).

Guru has gifted us shastardhari roop - we can treat this as a rvaaj or empty ritual i.e. mathha tek at Gurdwara without ever reading Gurbani or listening to it.. or we can have satkaar for Guru de bakshe kakaar and learn and meditate on their usage, nit (every day). It is only then that Dasmesh Pitas pavitar baani will become clear and come alive for us.

The same way some Sikhs 'rightly' pay much focus on ithihaas, kathhaa, gurbani paath, santhiya, kirtan, seva, simran.... one should also understand that shastar vidya is also an intricate part of a rehitvaan Singhs life.

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji ki Fat-heh

Really good points, understanding weapons, is a must, and the knife is definitely the ultimate close quarters weapon and people underestimate what it can do. Even the smallest, skinniest, unfit person who has some knowledge of how to wield it immediately becomes pretty dangerous. Someone that studies it seriously is VERY dangerous.

I would also add that learning how to wield a stick and unarmed combatives is also important, and being able to translate those skills to pick up inanimate objects for use as improvised weapons is also very important. There are not many situations in the UK that would justify the use of lethal force, or perceived lethal force by brandishing a bladed weapon, so non-lethal options have to be learnt as well and priority given to them in a Western World context. Non-lethal options would mean having good empty hand skills and using improvised blunt weapons.