Santa And Banta

gurmukhsodhi

Dear Sadhsangatji, today I am told that the character of santa and banta is named after the Shaheed Satwant Singhji and Shaheed Beant Singhji. is it true? Is somebody know about the origin of santa and banta character? I searched on the google but I didn't find anything. I am only 22years old and hear these jokes from my childhood. So I cant say much about it.

To admin: I don't want to spread any kind of hate against any community or religion. Plz delete this post if this turn into the place of express anyone's aggression or anger.

I don't think they are named after Shaheed Satwant Singh and Beant Singh Jee. My view is that Sants and Banta rhyme with one another so it is easier for those fools to make a joke about Sikhs. Personally I think a Sikh should be so ferocious and dangerous that the other person should think twice before making a Sikh joke in front of you. I have yet to see a Hindu and Muslim making a joke to me face to face. First you should stay strong inside and it will show strength outside. The way to get strong inside is to build your faith through Paath, Simran and keeping rehet.

These jokes are uttered with bad intentions to degrade the Sikh people through hear say and social media in attempt to break down the spirit of the Sikh people. But no one can destroy us or our forefathers legacies. The truth is none of these characters or jokes matter in the real world because in reality the world is told of how the brave souls handed the death of a dog to the darling of Hindustan 'Indra <banned word filter activated> haraamdi Gandhi'!

That clocks actually insulting to hindus, its not as if the Hindus were getting killed by muslims and sikhs landed from the moon? lol

It was the Hindu punjabis themselves that made up the Khalsa army under Guru Gobind Singh. after the fighting, many of them remained as Sikh whilst others went back to their Hindu religiuos ways, There wasnt such a strict dividing line, religious wise in those days.

AS FOR HINDUS DEFENDING THEMSELVES AND THEIR DHARMA, dont forget at patiton 84 per cent of India was still Hindu, ( if Hindus were that weak, and bearing in mind that siksh were in only in punjab how come the other parts of India still remained Hindu, if Hindus were that weak surely the other parts of India would all have been muslim? )

......and if I take you back further, dont forget that after Prophet Mohammed died in 632, Islam was spread by teh swrod over modern day iran, iraq, syria, turkey, afghansitan etc within 20 years,and India was first attacked in 652, and was defended valiantly for 450 years by Hindu warriors/Rajputs until the first Islamic rule was established in 1000ad, in modern day Pakistan parts of north india, even then the hindus valiantly kept on fighting and guru nanak ji was born a in 1469, in a Hindu family, this is evidence itself that Hindus managed to preserve their identity in punjab, north India, Almost a 1000 years before nanak devji's birth.

East, West and South parts of India were also valiantly defended, although it wasnt under the barage of attacks, Punjab was under

My uncles are Sardars, but their dad was a Hindu, its just the way things were done, up unitl as recently as 60 - 70 years ago, when one son would became a sikh in the Hindu family.

As for Santa and Banta, it was a Sikh historian/journalist Mr Khushwant singh who started the Santa banta thing, as Jassa ji, has so eloquently said, So why not balme him instead of blaiming Hindus and makiing conspiracy theories?

BOTTOM line is ALL the Hindus (mostly Hindu punjabis), I know respect and have love for Sikhs and we dont see you guys as competition or a seperate race or as an enemy, like some of YOU see us!

We see you as a seperate relgion but as our Dharmic brothers neverthelss, a family.

My uncles are Sardars, but their dad was a Hindu, its just the way things were done, up unitl as recently as 60 - 70 years ago, when one son would became a sikh in the Hindu family.

I've always been curious about this practice. I've heard that it was quite common in the Punjabi Khatri community, but I don't know much about it since I'm a Jat.

Could you elaborate a bit on the reasoning behind this custom? Was it to maintain good relations with the Sikh community (and thus secure whatever protection the Sikhs could offer)? Was it to take advantage of the preferential recruitment of Sikhs into the military during the British Raj? Was it to recognize a certain level of belief in Sikh principles white still being Hindu? I've heard of all of these explanations. Maybe it was something else?