Guest stuckinadoorway

Severe Ocd (Bad Unwanted Thoughts)

Guest stuckinadoorway

I have relentless OCD. I have it in the Gurdwara even more sometimes. The thoughts are blasphemous and sexual and sometimes a mixture of both. I have been advised to go to the Gurdwara at amrtivela and do simran. I try but sometimes my OCD gets worse when I am in the Gurdwara and I feel worse off then if I hadn't had gone altogether. My mind then tells me I am being punished for my thoughts and that I am unwelcome in the Gurdwara. I have been like this for years but recently it has become worse. I have had CBT from a psychologist but it did not work and I am on SSRIs which help a bit but not completely.

I really don't know why I have to go through this. Maybe I slandered a saint in my past life or even this one. Some of my thoughts are towards saints. The sufferings of such slanderers are indescribable. What hope it there for me? Is there a solution? I pray, pray and pray by doing ardas but it seems like God is not listening. This problem just does not leave me alone. I don't know what to do. I have also tried seva. Sometimes the thoughts then come while I am doing seva and it just feels so wrong doing seva while I have these thoughts so I stop it.

What am I to do?

Naam Simran, embark on the path of true bhagti(silencing the mind through Samadhi). Think of these thoughts as a gift from god, like a challenge he wants you to overcome, everyone gets bad thoughts, when they get really bad, you know you need to turn to god, we all truly need him 100%.

When I used to have really negative thoughts naam simran/bhagti was the only thing that helped them cease.

The mind is the cause of all suffering in life, it brings only pain- most think negative thoughts are normal- they are not, we are all mentally diseased until we rid our minds of negativity no matter how normal we think we are. Society has led us to believe bad thoughts are normal and for us to accept them- bad thoughts are the root cause of Kalyug.

Satnam Ji.

• Like 3

Try doing as much moolmantar as you can throughout the day. Eg: start with 1 maal a day then add onto it slowly you'll fall in love with doing moolmantar :) and won't want to stop :)

(try it. From experience I can tell you it works)

• Like 1

Guest sleepy head

Its weird i get these thoughts when i go to gurdwara too. Not all time but more at gurdwara. Used to cry lots that i go with clean mind with happiness. When i get there like god knows wat takes over. i think with me its started when i got ill and was trying to clarify with myself why this happen why that. And the thoughtget stuck. Somebody told me something once about a babaji type. May not even be true but that thought has stuck for long time and now i compare and think all mahapursh. You have to keep reminding yourself NO They are not like that. NOT to think like that.

Soon as thoughts come do nam simran and keep asking god to stop them.

You have to mentally fight them and shout at them and tell them that they will not take over.

Guest Gupt

Hum avgun bhare ek gun naahi..by Guru Raam Daas Ji...We are paapis and the only perfect one is Vaheguru....its all a test and you must fight it with ardaas and naam simran! no matter how much these bad thoughts keep coming even when your doing naam simran...keep doing it and you will fight it!

Guest TKAUR

GURUFATEH G

SEE THIS IS NORMAL THO MOST PPL PROBABLY WONT ADMIT IT DIRTY THOUGHTS CAN COME IN GURUDWARA JUST AS DIRTY ACTIONS AS WELL.ONE POSITIVE THING IS U R CONTROLLING UR THOUGHTS BEFORE THEY BECOME ACTIONS BUT THE PROBLEM IS U NEED TO SURRENDER UR MIND TO THE GURU AND PRAY. YOU MUST BE READY FOR AN INNER BATTLE. THE PROBLEM IS THAT MAYA IS VERY STICKY. MAYA BUILDS UP WHEN YOU GET CLOSE TO GOD. YOU I N UR MIND WANT TO BIND WITH GURU SAHIB I CAN TELL CAUSE OTHERWISE THESE THOUGHTS WONT BOTHER U. THE FIVE THEIVES LUST ANGER EGO ATTACHMENT AND GREED DO NOT WANT YOU TO BIND WITH GOD. WHY? CAUSE GOD IS LIKE THE LIGHT OF A TRILLION SONS AND THIS LIGHT KILLS THE SHADOWS OF THE MIND. EVERYONE LOVES THE SUN BUT SOME DONT. WHO ? THIEVES DONT LIKE THE SUN BECAUSE THEY CAN NOT ROB. SO BASICALLY THIS IS EXPECTED THAT THE CLOSER U GET TO GURU SAHIN THE MORE THESE THOUGHTS COME . HERES THE ONLY WAY TO FIGHT THEM. EVEN YOGIS WHO LEAVE THEIR HOMES AND DONT EVER TOUHCH MONEY HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO ESCAPE MAYA AND KILL THEIR MIND. YOU HAVE ONE WAY AND THAT IS TO SURRENDER TO THE ONE GOD WHO CONTROLS ALL MAYA. YOU CANT FIGHT UR MIND ALONE U NEED GURU U NEED GOD. SURRENDER TO GOD AND BEAR THE BATTLE. YES IT WILL BE HARD BUT TRUST GURU SAHIB. BIND WITH BANI AND SIMRAN. SURRENDER YOUR HEAD TO THE GURU AND WHEN U HAVE A BAD THOUGHT WHAT I DO TO MY VIKAARS IS I TELL THEM THAT NOW MY GURU IS HERE AND HE WILL KIL U CAUSE THAT IS GURU JIS NATURE I TELL MY VIKAARS AISH KARO TUSEE BAS TOREE CHAYR LEE ITHE NE :p

Guest marriage_dharma

Just get married, I know I need to. Its your natural urges taking over your mind cos of the fact we're all getting married rather later than our ancestors did =)

Guest stuckinadoorway

It seems like some of you don't know what pure OCD is. It is a medical condition where you have unwanted thoughts which just get stuck in your head. It is like there is a glitch in the system. Its nothing to do with natural urges and all that and getting married.

• Like 1

It seems like some of you don't know what pure OCD is. It is a medical condition where you have unwanted thoughts which just get stuck in your head. It is like there is a glitch in the system. Its nothing to do with natural urges and all that and getting married.

The point that gurbaanee is the cure still stands tho, because nothing more than reading gurbaanee can cure u. u just need patience and most importantly faith.

• Like 1

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

It is clear to see that many people here do not have a great enough understanding of the condition and just like schizophrenia, phobias and depression, unless you suffer from it, you will never really understand.

As I myself suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and have done for so for many years, I can completely understand and sympathise with how you are feeling at present-albeit my type of OCD differs slightly and is focused more on germs.

I can be the first to say that trying to ignore your obsessions and your compulsions in the hope that it will go away or that you eventually snap out of it will not work. Neither will trying to "fight it" - as that will only lead to sheer frustration. The same applies with taking a holiday, getting married, distracting your mind or trying holistic medicines.

OCD is both a psychological and biological condition that requires professional help. Although I highly recommend you do as much paath, sevaa and simran as you can, we also have to be practical here.

TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE GOING TO JUMP THE GUN AND START ACCUSING ME OF HAVING NO RESPECT OR FAITH IN THE POWER IN BAANI WITH WHAT I AM GOING TO SAY NEXT - JUST DON'T!

But just as we wouldn't say to a person awaiting a new organ "just read paath and you will no longer need a transplant as your organ will heal itself" or to someone with septecemia or a life threatening infection "don't take antibiotics, just read your nitnem baanis" the same applies for OCD. We have all been in that situation where the GP and Doctor has had to intervene. I pressume that everyone here has taken medication for an infection or had an operation when needed - well...unless your a faith healer.

However, I must also stress that by all means we must take the materialistic and "earthly" measures to help us, but at the same time we also must place emphasis on sevaa, gurbaani and naam japna, recognising and appreciating the sheer power of the Gurus baani and the benefits that it can bring.

To the OP, with OCD being recognised as one of the top ten most delbilitating illnesses, I would recommend that you book an appointment to see your GP again and get referred once more to a psychologist, psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse. How long ago did you have your CBT sessions? CBT is something that we cannot do for 8 weeks and our thoughts and obsessions will simply vanish. If you've had the thoughts for a long time, it will take a long time to "deal" with them. Its kind of similar for people who are obese. Its taken many months/years for you to gain that weight - a few weeks of hitting the gym and dieting will not make you lose it all again. Try to nip the rose in the bud as the saying goes, before it gets much worse - believe me!

Hopefully your doctor will re-refer you and then you can maybe try the same treatment again but maybe for a lengthier period or maybe try a different type completely. If he/she doesn't - make yourself a nuisance! Your the one suffering from the condition on a daily basis and plus, your in effect paying the GP's wages - you have a right to be heard!

Just as a suggestion, have you had ever considered group therapy? Although it can be slightly embarassing at first and some stigma can be attached to it, getting treatment with others who suffer the same condition as you and are thus the only ones who really understand can be a real motivational boost as you watch the progress of each other and can share personal experiences of how to deal with certain things. What about also changing the dosage of your medication or perhaps changing it altogether? I've even gone to the one extreme of having my psychologist accompany me to places which I find incredibly difficult such as restaurants, public bathrooms etc. and that proved to be effective.

There is no universal treatment for people with OCD, its about what most suitable for the individual. Have you even tried combining the two together?

With having suffered from the condition for numerous years and having tried a range of treatments, feel free to contact me at any time and I'll be more than happy to expand on anything I've said, share some of my own personal experiences or even try and pinpoint you in the right direction. If you also have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Take Care and God Bless.

Ang Sang Vaaheguroo!

• Like 1

srb rog kw AauKdu nwmu ]

sarab rog kaa aoukhadh naam ||

The Naam is the panacea, the remedy to cure all ills.

kilAwx rUp mMgl gux gwm ]

kaliaan roop ma(n)gal gun gaam ||

Singing the Glory of God is the embodiment of bliss and emancipation.

:)

• Like 2

Guest stuckinadoorway

I did CBT around 2 years ago. It didn't help because I wasn't really willing to disclose some of the thoughts which made it difficult. I am starting to see a psychologist again now and will disclose most if not all the thoughts now. I haven't tried group therapy no.

srb rog kw AauKdu nwmu ]

sarab rog kaa aoukhadh naam ||

The Naam is the panacea, the remedy to cure all ills.

kilAwx rUp mMgl gux gwm ]

kaliaan roop ma(n)gal gun gaam ||

Singing the Glory of God is the embodiment of bliss and emancipation.

:)

Enough Said!! :happybouncer:

Although I will add this...

Apply this gyan to your daily life(remember and believe it, say it within if you need to)-

Every single bad thought is GOD Himself.

When you realise this, the thoughts wont bother you- all around you is god, in the image of Nothingness, a frequency that once we attune ourselves to(and which brings Samadhi and silences the mind), we become like him. As our discoveries increase our frequencies(think of us like atoms vibrating at frequencies) our frequency gets finer until the Truth is revealed in all its glory.

God is just teaching you that there is something wrong with you so work on it, strive for perfection and to live in Truth always and the thoughts wont bother you.

The problem with All of us is that we refuse to live in simplicity. The Truth is Simple but instead of trusting in it and trusting that it ultimately brings us the highest bliss, maya (God himself) makes us doubt it

- it makes things seem more complicated than they are(all is God, we are God but we see others and ourselves to be seperate, making life more comlicated and painful) so we sink deeper and deeper into maya, consumed and deluded by our own pain(hell) which is actually non existant. We deny ourselves happiness out of fear.

Every bad thought, every person who makes us angry, every person whos slander we rise to is actually God himself testing how affiliated we are to Maya and how worthy we are of finding Him. We are Nothing like God so who cares if someone slanders us, its just God himself seeing if we will take measures to overcome the test he's setting and attune ourselves to Truth instead of digging ourselves deeper into maya by reacting in Jealousy or Hate. Take the hint God's giving you, pass his tests and live in Truth.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• hey are u the same SheikhYoBooty ?
    • You are right in this respect, I guess I was referring to both the native Pakistanis and the diaspora. I have observed this internal debate between Pakistani Sunnis and Wahabis at close quarters, and honestly it turns into a p!ssing match. Who is the real Sunni and who is the fake - the traditionalists insist they are "real Sunnis", very sufi-centric and not overly fanatic, these people are usually die hard supporters of General Musharraf and defend the Laal Mosque incident with their lives. Here in the UK it goes beyond this, with both groups even refusing to pray Namaz behind eachothers Imams/Maulvis. The Deobandi/W@habi types obviously slam the others for following non-Islamic traditions, and they are gaining huge support. If I remember correctly the slogan is something like: Deoband Deoband, nirra gandh nirra gandh.   In many ways, it's not too different between the splits we have over ideology in Sikhi. Again this is probably more prevalent in the west. Probably. Kurban, Kurbani are both mentioned in Gurbani. We say it in the Ardas everyday: "Gurdwaraiyan di seva layi kurbaaniyan kityaan"
    • Well I live in Pakistan and i never came across someone wearing Jubba.But i can't speak for overseas Pakistanis.
    • CCTV camera has clear evidence for UK Sikh MPs to demand release to investigate closeup view. Jaggi mom in law said his passport was demanded prior to arrest as mine was for email to indian embassy, asking why they commit atrocities. $ is what causing blind justice to VERY OBVIOUS CRIMES by rss modi aka congress...$$$$ rules world better than virtues...but in God reign, NAAM LAHA RULES AND WILL OVERCOME ALL...SLOWLY BUT >>SURELY<<
    • Guest Kaur 2
      VJKK VJKF Does anyone have a link that I could use to listen to a sehaj paath of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji? Bhull Chuk Maaf VJKK VJKF