Sanjog, Marriage, Destiny, & Free Will

Guest Life

Guest Guest

I just have afew questions that I would like your help and thoughts on, as I have been thinking alot about life lately and on this aspect.

I believe/think that in terms of marriage your sanjog is already. Your husband/wife is already chosen for you at birth (like the saying in wedding cards) and it is just a matter of Waheguru brining the two people together on this earth. Then I question and think of how come so many people are getting divorced even after they have been married 10/15 years or more/less. But then I think of someone couples, how they met the situation etc and think no sanjogs are written, its true.

First of all, if sanjog is written then how come in this day and age people are getting divorced so quickly and/or suddenly?

Say it is sanjog and you are destined to be with someone, can someone/another person come in between that and they marry they person you are meant to (I hope that makes sense?) So it is the free will of the third person (the one coming in between (if they can) )

What is free will? Does it exist? How does free will and destiny/fate work?

I hope I made sense!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

It is upto an individual whether to believe that his or her, wife/husband was already selected at birth.

But there is no way of proving that !

Sanjog = union

Vijog = separation

There are two sides of every coin, thing is we only choose to look at the positive and ignore the negative but Truth prevails !

ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ਵਿਜੋਗੁ ਧੁਰਹੁ ਹੀ ਹੂਆ ॥(SGGS jeeo - Ang 1007)

Union and separation are ordained by the Primal Lord God.

ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ਵਿਜੋਗੁ ਕਰਤੈ ਲਿਖਿ ਪਾਏ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਨ ਚਲੈ ਚਲਾਹਾ ਹੇ ॥੮॥(SGGS jeeo - Ang 1058)

Union and separation are pre-ordained by the Creator. Actions already committed cannot be taken back. ||8||

ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ਵਿਜੋਗੁ ਉਪਾਇਓਨੁ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟੀ ਕਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ ॥(SGGS jeeo - Ang 509)

Creating union and separation, God laid the foundations of the Universe.

ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ਵਿਜੋਗੁ ਮੇਰੈ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਕੀਏ ॥(SGGS jeeo - Ang 1032)

Union and separation are done by my God.

People usually associate the word Sanjog with worldly marriage or union but if you go in depth it is the union of Aatma(soul) with Param-aatma(Almighty).

God is Antarjami (inner knower) knows where we stand, what we deserve and what is best for us.

You cannot move Forward looking backwards so forget about the past look towards the future.

Sometime back i was driving towards Gurdwara it was rush hour and traffic was in mess. One car came out of nowhere and cut me off to get in lane, normally my reaction would be "ehdi maa di" but somehow i felt like "jo WAHEGURU di marzi". Funny thing happened, due to the delay some other car vacated a perfect parking spot just ahead of me.

I was like "WAHEGURU tera shukar heh".

So by keeping cool and accepting God's Will, i eventually found something to my heart's delight.

Therefore i would suggest you do the same " keep cool and accept God's Will"

Am sure someone better will come along.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

• 6 years later...

So when we are born we are defined to.marry someone? How about if we ask waheguru to give us a life partner with certain qualities will that happen..isit try that our life partner is written in our destiny from.before or depending on our deeds?

• 10 months later...
Guest Widower

What happens if your partner passes away? My wife passed away three weeks ago in tragic accident,  one minute she was her healthy and happy, next minute she has been taken away from me.

I really believed in the Laava we did at the Anand Karaj, but what now ? We were two souls as one but now she is no longer here

3 hours ago, Guest Widower said:

What happens if your partner passes away? My wife passed away three weeks ago in tragic accident,  one minute she was her healthy and happy, next minute she has been taken away from me.

I really believed in the Laava we did at the Anand Karaj, but what now ? We were two souls as one but now she is no longer here

Very sad to hear Bai ji.

On 7/31/2011 at 7:48 PM, Guest Life said:

I just have afew questions that I would like your help and thoughts on, as I have been thinking alot about life lately and on this aspect.

I believe/think that in terms of marriage your sanjog is already. Your husband/wife is already chosen for you at birth (like the saying in wedding cards) and it is just a matter of Waheguru brining the two people together on this earth. Then I question and think of how come so many people are getting divorced even after they have been married 10/15 years or more/less. But then I think of someone couples, how they met the situation etc and think no sanjogs are written, its true.

First of all, if sanjog is written then how come in this day and age people are getting divorced so quickly and/or suddenly?

Say it is sanjog and you are destined to be with someone, can someone/another person come in between that and they marry they person you are meant to (I hope that makes sense?) So it is the free will of the third person (the one coming in between (if they can) )

What is free will? Does it exist? How does free will and destiny/fate work?

I hope I made sense!

Bai ji, we can’t fully understand how actually His system work and on what grounds  “lekha.jokha/hisab kitaab” is considered. The more questions you think- the more you will get puzzled. Finally you will have to understand why Guru ji has used words like:

1. Agamm- where we can’t  reach physically.

2. Agochar-  where we can’t reach/understand mentally. ??

Sanyog- don’t know how they work ?

What Will be will be. But we dictate our lives, not the universe. 

U have the life that u choose and create for yourself. Your deeds u choose to do result in karams. 

But u make your own choices whether good bad smart or dumb. 

Somewhere along the way, concepts such as sanjog and soulmates (as per Gurbani) have been romanticised and Bollywood-ised, so that when things don't work out, it's Sikh that's questioned instead of the attitudes, beliefs, and ways we think and conduct ourselves. Other times, 54*t happens; you've got to pay off karmic debts, etc., and if that means life events transpiring in contradiction to certain beliefs then what can you do? Sometimes nobody is to blame per se, it's just the way life unfolds. 

Guest Widower
30 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Somewhere along the way, concepts such as sanjog and soulmates (as per Gurbani) have been romanticised and Bollywood-ised, so that when things don't work out, it's Sikh that's questioned instead of the attitudes, beliefs, and ways we think and conduct ourselves. Other times, 54*t happens; you've got to pay off karmic debts, etc., and if that means life events transpiring in contradiction to certain beliefs then what can you do? Sometimes nobody is to blame per se, it's just the way life unfolds. 

So my wife passing away, I'm paying off past karmic debts ? She was only 36 we had our whole lives in front of us, it all does not makes sense to me and I am very confused at the moment.

• 4 years later...
Guest Simrat

Bout sare sawaal ne jere m puchna chouni aa .... M relationship ch aa nd kithe na kithe mnu ess gll da drr c ki jide nll v m relationship ch aa ude nll mera viah houga ki nai....so m guru toh puchya ardas kiti te hukmnama sahib aya ' Aukhi ghadi na dekhan dayi' .....us toh bd m guru aage ik pray kiti c ki je eh oo bnda jide bll mera viah hona tn tuc sanu ik vri darbar sahib bulayoge tan wmk apa kathe gye v .....te tuc ds skde oo eh guru sahib ji da eshara jaiga ki mera ude bll viah houga?