Amanpreet.Singh

Wearing Red Clothes

Good grief. Our forefathers walked away from mindless rituals and superstition and embraced a faith with no superstition and rituals. And now here's us ; their offspring....now believing in even more uneducated superstition and indulging in even more rituals than the religion our forefathers left. Our religion is the most scientific and modern on earth.......and yet our mentality is the most backward and uneducated.

If there is a Hindu colour it is saffron (kesri). We seem to love wearing that holy hindu colour.

I have 2 children. Both of them, when they were born, had cribs with yellow bunting, and blanket (from toys r us). If I have another child tomorrow I promise I will wrap that child in a yellow blankey too the moment it is born. I'm a sikh....not a hindu. If I'm going to suffer from mindless superstition than I might as well stop being a Sikh.

Read any western eye witness account of the Sikhs during the Sikh Kingdom day. Whether the account is written by a Frenchman, a Persian, a German or an Englandian the one thing they all have in common is that they state categorically that the Sikhs are to a man dressed in blue. Blue is the colour of the sikhs. The accounts all mention how you will never see a Sikh wearing saffron / orange (kesri) because it is the colour of the hindus. Now....apparently saffron (kesri) is a good thing. Now.....the colour that my sikh forefathers shunned is the flavour of the day. In this upside down world we live in today things have been turned on thier head. Today, it is Sikhs that will leave Sikhism and embrace Hinduism claiming it is because there are too many rituals and silly superstitious beliefs in Sikhism.

Actually saffron isn't a color of the Khalsa like you said, it was yellow (saroun/saag flower color), blue and white.

For a Sikh this is the uniform of the Khalsa, the reason Sikhs were told not to wear red was becaues hidu armies wore it. If the USA soldier uniform consists of wearing red white and blue, you won't see an enemy wearing the same colors.

sgl ik®Aw mih aUqm ikirAw ]

sagal kiraaa mehi ootham kiriaa ||

Of all religious rituals, the most sublime ritual

swDsMig durmiq mlu ihirAw ]

saadhhasa(n)g dhuramath mal hiriaa ||

is to erase the filth of the dirty mind in the Company of the Holy

• Like 2

WJKK WJKF

WSL Ji,

Then what is the meaning of that Tuk in Tankhahnama of Bhai Sahib Bhai Nand Lal Ji, the Shromini Kavi of Guru Sahib.

Our thinking may be wrong but he can never be wrong.

Thankyou

Amanpreet Singh

sUhvIey sUhw vysu Cif qU qw ipr lgI ipAwru ]

soohaveeeae soohaa vaes shhadd thoo thaa pir lagee piaar ||

O red-robed woman, discard your red dress, and then, you shall come to love your Husband Lord.

Don't brides dress in red on their wedding day? I think that is what the shabad by Guru Arjan was referring to. Don't marry yourself to this physical world. Instead, become a bride of Waheguru. The bride of God is a common reference, starting with Guru Nanak who drew from Sufi poetry. Also referred to as "Husband-Lord".

Red is also nit worn because it is a sign of royalty.

Green is an islamic colour. However. In guru gobind singh ji maharaj times. Guru ji wore green and hated the colour blue. Because blue was the islamic colour. Look at the pics of guru ji at hajoor sahib. Guru ji is wearing green.

I have no clue why now nihangs wear blue when maharaj hated that colour. If someone knows. Could u please share it with us.

This is true what you say, but Gurbani can be understood as a literal translation or as a metaphor.

Also, red is seen as a 'karmawala' colour, so those that wear think they are 'vadbhaga,'etc. But Guru Ji says that love is the most Karmawala colour,etc.

• Like 1

i understand no red and green , but how about Maroon(nabi) or Gulabi color .. the ones you tie pags at weddings ..

there are some amritdhari are in army and they wear green.

This is interesting :p the amount of red you see at a typical wedding but compare it to a Amritdhari Wedding it's Blue :p This says alot.

My views , shoukd nobody feels agitated, Gurbani says " Rang sabhey narainey jetey man bhavann ." ( ang 134- 3, Baramaha Manjh M5) Nature and colors are all made by Waheguru, parmeshar himself , how come One is bad and other good.

Because green was the color of moghul army flag , the use in khalsa dal was taboo to avoid misundestanding during battles, and for the same reason red was banned as pahadi rajas , who were perpetually at war with guru sahib ji . It was simple logicand practice without religious adsignment for colors. Did not guru sahib had many muslims and hindus on his side?

• Like 3

Hmmm what I know from my reading of sikh Itihas

Neela bana is parvan - from Guru Gobind SIngh ji's time

Green dastars were worn by Muslims and still are

Kesri dastars I was told by my elders in SIkhi when I was going to protest in 84 that it is the rang of shaheedi

Lal dastar is banned as Banda Bahadur Singh ji seperated from Guru ji's mission and became ahankari and started his own bana of red dastar the Bandai Khalsa was the name of this group , when he got arrested he realised and asked for forgiveness from Guru ji. After this the Bandi khalsa was disbanded and the Singhs came back under the Tat Khalsa and returned to Blue Bana

My views , shoukd nobody feels agitated, Gurbani says " Rang sabhey narainey jetey man bhavann ." ( ang 134- 3, Baramaha Manjh M5) Nature and colors are all made by Waheguru, parmeshar himself , how come One is bad and other good.

Because green was the color of moghul army flag , the use in khalsa dal was taboo to avoid misundestanding during battles, and for the same reason red was banned as pahadi rajas , who were perpetually at war with guru sahib ji . It was simple logicand practice without religious adsignment for colors. Did not guru sahib had many muslims and hindus on his side?

read above replies, mohkam singh explained it very well

above that bhai nand lal ji;s rehatnama explains it very well .

o baba ji, rang sabhe means , all pleasures

correct meaning

ਰੰਗ ਸਭੇ ਨਾਰਾਇਣੈ ਜੇਤੇ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੰਨਿ ॥

Rang Sabhae Naaraaeinai Jaethae Man Bhaavann ||

In the Lord are all pleasures which please the mind.

not colors , gurbani de artha da anarrth na karo, tusi pehlan v dand lai si. aggge ton tyaan rakheyo

Regarding red portion in rehitnama..this need to be properly contextualized, its very basic beginning relative conduct at initial stage out there to help seeker meant to be used as aid - one can refrain from wearing red if color effects their state of mind if we were talk about gunas- red seem to fall in rajogun. Bhai dya singh ji in his rehtinama classify lifestyle of sikh in three different categories- gristhi(rajogun/satogun), behingum(satogun) and akaali nihang(rajogun/balance of satogun/tamas)-soorme to prevent sikhs falling from same pitfalls as many other dharamis sharia panthis have.

Our youths seem to be turning some basic contents rehitnamas (due to lack of contexualization, fail see things in stages, different aspects) into crazy anglican christian like ten commandments or some crazy pandit turning things into bhraminvad, or some crazy mullah who idiolize haddith to the point where they start using hadith principles as yard stick to measure someone spirituality totally ignoring stages within dharma, essence teaching.

I am afraid some of our youths are falling into same sort of mindset sharia mullahs are following- let hadiths take precedence over gnosis teaching of quran. etc.

Edited by N30S1NGH
  • Like 3

Regarding red portion in rehitnama..this need to be properly contextualized, its very basic beginning relative conduct at initial stage out there to help seeker meant to be used as aid - one can refrain from wearing red if color effects their state of mind if we were talk about gunas- red seem to fall in rajogun. Bhai dya singh ji in his rehtinama classify lifestyle of sikh in three different categories- gristhi(rajogun/satogun), behingum(satogun) and akaali nihang(rajogun/balance of satogun/tamas)-soorme to prevent sikhs falling from same pitfalls as many other dharamis sharia panthis have.

Our youths seem to be turning some basic contents rehitnamas (due to lack of contexualization, fail see things in stages, different aspects) into crazy anglican christian like ten commandments or some crazy pandit turning things into bhraminvad, or some crazy mullah who idiolize haddith to the point where they start using hadith principles as yard stick to measure someone spirituality totally ignoring stages within dharma, essence teaching.

I am afraid some of our youths are falling into same sort of mindset sharia mullahs are following- let hadiths take precedence over gnosis teaching of quran. etc.

I know that I feel unsettled in the presence of bright red now , wasn't always like that ...I guess as one develops one's frequency changes and certain frequencies of sound , light appeal more ...all is good , all is hukham . No strict rules here .

I remember reading about an experiment about colours in prison , they painted a cell in red and it had the effect of increasing respiration, aggression in the person's body.

Edited by jkvlondon

Nothing like Rosso red on Ferrari Formula 1 cars :lol2: .

Like one of the earlier comments I was also told to avoid wearing red and green colours and I still do try, but I agree with Neo and WLS, they both make valid points.

Next we'll want to change the colour of something important than runs through each and everyone of us :wow:

Edited by InderjitS

Nothing like Rosso red on Ferrari Formula 1 cars :lol2: .

Like one of the earlier comments I was also told to avoid wearing red and green colours and I still do try, but I agree with Neo and WLS, they both make valid points.

Next we'll want to change the colour of something important than runs through each and everyone of us :wow:

bhai sahib of course it would be true blue ... in every sense