Wearing Red Clothes

read this good and proper before you start giving your manmat views;

In Assa-di-Vaar, the following words "Neel Bastar Ley Kaprey Pahrey, Turk Pathani Amal Kiya." - meaning that people started wearing blue clothes and started following the ways of the Turks. It clearly denotes that the blue garments were worn by the Muslims.

Guest Jacfsing2

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh! I highly recommend you read this topic: http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/51619-if-blue-is-the-khalsa-colour-then-were-did-it-go-wrong/

It will provide some information on why there are 4, (not just blue), and will give some deep insight on why those 4 colors are important. Whatever that means to you is your own business, (always good to know the reasons of things before making it some blind ritual). The original 3 colors were Blue, Orange, and White, with the fourth coming as part of the Khalsa coming together to add it: black. Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

read this good and proper before you start giving your manmat views;

In Assa-di-Vaar, the following words "Neel Bastar Ley Kaprey Pahrey, Turk Pathani Amal Kiya." - meaning that people started wearing blue clothes and started following the ways of the Turks. It clearly denotes that the blue garments were worn by the Muslims.

I noticed you edited your post, so I changed mine to help you out.

Hi and thank you.

I edited my response because when I read 'punjabis are dub' I immediately started to respond with hate so in order to stick to the topic, I removed a lot of what I originally wrote.

Coming to your link - thank you but this again only refers to followers of our Guru and I cannot accept what someone else has said because of they way they understand history when it goes against or contradicts what Gurbani states. I am an Amrithdari before I am punjabi (putting that out there in case people start judging before even knowing) Comment in brackets are following the first response I got from GurdialSingh.

Coming to the book that Gurdial refers to, prophesy is also against Gurmat. Ill post a link to which I read as much closer to Gurbani and the Gurus teachings then anything else I have read on here ( no offence intended but its all hearsay without any evaluation or reference to anything historically written or sealed by our Guru) -

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/threads/karni-nama-and-raj-nama-the-sikh-book-of-prophecy.30035/

Having certain colours being acceptable for Khalsa and to refrain from others is like having certain days and times approved for prayer or good fortune, its a Brahmin thought and not Gurmat.

Having certain colours being acceptable for Khalsa and to refrain from others is like having certain days and times approved for prayer or good fortune, its a Brahmin thought and not Gurmat.

nothing to do with bhaman reet.

The Khalsa is distinguishable by uniform and by colour.

to make it easier to understand, think about why 2 teams playing football wear different colours.

What about Bhai Daya Singhs rehitnama? do you believe it to be made up because we are told to go hunting? is this antigurmat in your view?

Also the translation of the pangti you quoted from Asa Di Vaar is wrong. there is nothing to mention everyone followed the way of the turks and pathans. it says everyone wore blue clothing and robes and the turks and pathans attained power.

According to Ithihaas, did Akali Guru Nanak Dev Ji wear Neela bana in Mecca?

Can you please explain the contradiction in Bhai Nand Lal Rehitnama?

The reason why blue was chosen was because at that time, blue was normally associated with low caste people which makes sense especially where Gurbani is concerned. Guru Ji made us to serve humanity at any level.

Whilst I do believe blue is colour associated with Khalsa, I also stand by my previous comments that colour is not restricted. I say this because if it was, it would contradict what Gurbani teaches us and therefore then make our Gurus change what they said I know full well they would never contradict anything they say because they are pure. I also say this because it is not for us to judge what others wear, Khalsa or not.

Even if a particular maryada states it clearly that no other colour is to be worn apart from blue (which is actually doesnt), I would still stand by what I say that colours are not restricted because they are not and if blue is the familiar choice due to historical facts etc, then I or anyone on this earth are no one to judge others, its not our job. If our speech cannot help another human by speaking words of a sweet nature then its best to keep it schtum.

I am nothing compared to the puratan pyare but having said that, I do believe there are a lot of texts made specifically to contradict one another to divide the panth, hence I stick to Gurbani and Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj because this is one topic where no author can tamper with.

You say Ithihaas, another thing which I listen to but dont follow blindly. The only teachings I follow blindly are from the Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj.

Khalsa is distinguishable from uniform and colour, I agree but there is a time and place for everything. That uniform was required then when times were really hard. we have it easy right now and there are very few Sikhs left who can portray the puratan Sikh idealogy, nimrata and way of teachings when talking to another human being, that said, I am not saying that wearing bana is no longer required, I think its lovely to see Singhs and Kaurs wearing bana, they have guts to wear them because I am not clean/pure enough to wear one openly. I have much respect for them but at the same time, colours are not restricted.

A Maryada may state the Khalsa will wear blue but it also does not specifically state that we cannot wear any other colour?

Sorry to go on but I hope my explanation above explains my stand on this subject.

Khalsa today, can wear what they want if they wish, the relationship and answer they have to give is to the Guru so its futile for us to converse on whether what is right or wrong, we are not the judges.

• 1 month later...

ਆਪੇ ਹਰਿ ਇਕ ਰੰਗੁ ਹੈ ਆਪੇ ਬਹੁ ਰੰਗੀ ॥

Aapae Har Eik Rang Hai Aapae Bahu Rangee ||

आपे हरि इक रंगु है आपे बहु रंगी ॥

45 ਤਿਲੰਗ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੭੨੬ ਪੰ. ੧੩

Raag Tilang Guru Ram Das Page:726 Line: 13

In continuation with the verse mentioned above by brother singhbj singh:

Jo Tudh Bhavay Nanaka, saee gal changee. That what pleases Nanak, is the right thing.

Sat Sree Akal

keshri is NOT a Khalsa colour Basanti i.e. Yellow is ...Guru HarGobind ji installed one Blue and One Yellow nishan sahib at Akal Takht not kesri and blue ...this is a recent trend since SGPC .

For this reason I don't wish for kesri nishan sahibs to flutter forever , just Nishan Sahib ...

Guest Jacfsing2

keshri is NOT a Khalsa colour Basanti i.e. Yellow is ...Guru HarGobind ji installed one Blue and One Yellow nishan sahib at Akal Takht not kesri and blue ...this is a recent trend since SGPC .

For this reason I don't wish for kesri nishan sahibs to flutter forever , just Nishan Sahib ...

What would you call the real Nishan Sahib; if you asked most people what it is; they'd say "2 Kirpans on the sides, a Chakram in between the Kirpans; with a Khanda in the middle"; however, the original Nishan Sahib was with a Kirpan, Shield, and Katar. Though DailySikhUpdates claims a Nishan Sahib existed since Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Amar Das Ji: http://dailysikhupdates.com/historical-evidence-of-the-puratan-symbol-on-nishan-sahib-pictures/

What would you call the real Nishan Sahib; if you asked most people what it is; they'd say "2 Kirpans on the sides, a Chakram in between the Kirpans; with a Khanda in the middle"; however, the original Nishan Sahib was with a Kirpan, Shield, and Katar. Though DailySikhUpdates claims a Nishan Sahib existed since Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Amar Das Ji: http://dailysikhupdates.com/historical-evidence-of-the-puratan-symbol-on-nishan-sahib-pictures/

need to remove kesri from everywhere , why should we honour the gadaar's of the Kaum , The dogray (emphasis on dog) were of the ilk Guru Nanak Dev ji mentioned in Gurbani who take the form of the rulers (mughals in bani) but do their hindu rites undercover

If a light colour is required than use basanti ...or white