Why Is There Jot In Gurdwaras?

Before electricity was common in India, the lamp was kept to ease reading of Guru Granth Sahib ji after dusk. When the mahants were in control of Gurudwaras, they asked people to rub the fumes of the lamp on eyes etc in a Hindu way. It has no practical use as of now I guess.

• 1 month later...

gurfateh!

technically, we should not do the jot, the chaur sahib, the nihang type aarti as in the thaal thing, or even the flowers and perfume, but we do.. y?

guru ji says, that the very air itself is the chavar sahib of the guru, the stars and light sources in the sky are the jort, so wos the point of us lot doing our little jort? - kaisee aarti hoe!

but then guru ji says, bhav khandana teri aarti. the very reason why we DO the chaur sahib, lite the jort, and do the thaal and flowers n purfume, is so that within our mun, when we do these things/ see these things, the pureness of fear, is Murdered. ''bhav khandana''.

and upon this murder, this eradication, anhad shabad comes to vaj within our mun.

god needs no seva done of himself. the clouds are his thaal, the totaly crazy star systems and binary star systems that have been created by Him, are for Him. the entire universe, does his seva. we need not light our lil minor jot.

but, we light it for ourselves to remind us what things are. to help us meet him (god).

we need all the help to finish off our own demons and to anhad vaj shabad to met god. so his is basic reason y we keep this in gurdaras..

guru ji has infinite eyes, yet he has none, he has infinite moorat (forms), but no forms at all, he has thousands of limbs, yet none at all, he has no smell, yethe has an infinite number of smells, ... this is how it goes! (iv chalat mohi!)

and then sabh mehe jot, jot hai soi tis te chanan sabh mehi chaanan hoi .. within everyone is his jort.

and through gur-sakhi (gurbachan) the light of god becomes pargat on earth through the vessel of that nar (human). and this is the sucha aarti that god himself has put within that human. i.e. kill fear, start anhad shabad, get given the jort of god, then it becomes pargat. .. btw, v few sants have everbeen given the jot of god, and even fewer ahve been given the hukam to make it pargat within this universe. so few that it can be counted on the hand.

lastly, this pauri says, ... for this reason, the concentration on gurcharan (the feet of God) is kept. and it is asked for. the pure amirt is thusasked for because of this means.

thas basically it :)

get connected :)

:pluggedin:

it is also maryada to keep coal burning with samagree every 2 hours as well..

and its just started to rain :) how beautiful :)

bhav khandana teri arti! :fight: :shoot: baras ghaana nera mun bheena!!!!

post-16046-0-94881300-1308748520_thumb.j

post-16046-0-97459100-1308748527_thumb.j

alias regarding joyt/samagree/toof/chaur sahib i toally agree that these are acceptable but arti with a thaal is manmatt! At first i thought it as okay but having read Sant Gurbachan Singh's Gurbani Paath Darpan, Sant Jee categorcally states that it is manmatt to do arti with a thaal.

I think Chour sahIb is the only practical requirement as I myself have waved off flies from the Ang of Guru. And you can read Guru Granth Sahib to remember that it has the Jot of Nanak. Jot of Nanak is in Gurbani not in lamp. If one still need reminders might as well ask to add a statue of human feet to remind of Gur Charan. Dikhavo pe na jao, have faith in Real things.

I think Chour sahIb is the only practical requirement as I myself have waved off flies from the Ang of Guru. And you can read Guru Granth Sahib to remember that it has the Jot of Nanak. Jot of Nanak is in Gurbani not in lamp. If one still need reminders might as well ask to add a statue of human feet to remind of Gur Charan. Dikhavo pe na jao, have faith in Real things.

IF Sikhi was about meism then the state of the Panth would be alot worse than it already is and you'll have alot of anti-gurmat practices taking place. As the jot goes there is nothing wrong with it. The Jathas that do have the jot are actually the ones telling the sangat to attach themselves to Satguru. Those that don't follow the rehat are actually taking sangat away from Satguru and attaching them to anti-gurmat practices.

People nit pik at the Panthic Jathas purposely because they are attaching sangat to Satguru.

Then why no one stops people from going towards the Jot, bowing down in front of it?

What people do or don't, does not stand for Rehat Maryada. Lighting a Jot is such a small thing. Some don't even notice it, including me. If we take the reason for the jot as just to see better then we can take Chaur Sahib di seva and do the samething. We can get some high tech fans that keep the flies away. That would do the trick and no need for Chaur Sahib di seva? This way of thinking is destructive to the core part of the seva or practice. Let's go further and take the flowers around Satguru also away, the nice decorations. Satguru doesn't need all of this because he is beautiful without all of this stuff. See how destructive this way of thinking is to Sikhi. Here is another one. Take the shastar infront of Maharaj away aswell because Amritdharis are around along with the granthi who carries the kirpan. Some could say those shastars are just decorations and nothing more.

if the thaal is in the clouds, and the chaur is done by the air, then both are in the same catagory. its either both or none.

to me, im quite indiffernt to the thaal. and re: bachan from sant, i personally believe that it is a general statment to not do thaal as that carries the most simmilarity to hindus. and ppl just basically get confussed. so to me, this is why i believe that the vaachan bout the thaal has been passed. but to me, gagan mehe thaal, and... pavan chavaro kare are both as per each other.. they in the same boat, as per bani. so thas good nuf for me :) .

kjsimghhyd, i dont see the major problem (apart from the 'ritual' argument) y its such a bother that ppl ow to the jot. there is a whole thing bout bowing. i think its dasmeshpita that said that those who dont bow at the bhorg of a paat or what have you, they dont get the kirpa.

so, this whole thing bout the killing of fear through these practices should be ok hence the practices surrounding these 'items' are also ok, premise to that the practices are not ritualisic. so it doesnt reely matter if the ppl bow to the jot as well as guruji to help with their sharda/khandana. another argument that can be formulated from this type of thinking is that, guruji is byaapak. so y go gurdwara to help with your sharda?... this is clearly wrong. an answer to this may be to get sangat. but then, mun di sangat is the so called hardest sangat and most rewarding. this is true, but using said logic gives rise to other quite absurd conclusions. so it is ok to 'bow' to jot for the right reason. we go gurdwara for shara, we revere the jot and chaur sahib and samagree and (debatable) thaal :p. and so, we are NO ONE to stand in the way of another persons sharda. if total sharda in a stone can yield god, then we should understand that sharda is a most powerful tool. ( i forget if this is bhagat kabeer or sheish fareed bani : / )

and, lighting a jot is a most massively huge thing to do.

its all bout doing aarti of akaal purakh through bhav khandana. but then, naam tero aarti :)

:waheguru: