Help Please

Guest NonPanjabiSikh

Guest NonPanjabiSikh

Sat Sri Akal All

Firstly I dont know where to post this so sorry if its the wrong place.

Thanks from the start for any help.

I am seriously considering converting to Sikhism (still learning much) but im pretty much 80% Sikh now anyway. Im of non Panjabi roots.

Originally after studying religions I became a Muslim (born in a Muslim family but given freedom to chose my own path and told more about humanity then a select religion). I have no problem with the religion of Islam and still hold it dearly to my heart, its just that Sikhism appeals more to me and I think the practise of the Gurus in many ways are what true Muslims should be like anyway, the religions are so close Sikhism and Islam are much closer then Sikhism and Hinduism for example despite what people may think. Anyway

After reading about Guru Nanak Dev Ji and the Asa Di Vaar & Guru Gobind Singh Ji I fell in love with Sikhism. What I found great and amazing is that Sikhism is what my mum brought me up as without even knowing (traditionally not a very Islamic household) infact my family wouldnt even describe themselves as Muslims. What I find amazing is that everything my mum says I see parralels in with the teaching of Guru Nanak Dev Ji which draws me even closer to Sikhi. Obviously im by NO WAY comparing the characters it just you know, brings you that much closer. . I can speak only very basic Panjabi but I do hope to learn.

As an individual I respect all religions and beliefs (the way I was brought up) but may not necessarily agree with all religious practises.

Thats my story, basically I want to convert to be a Sikh because I pretty much am a Sikh in my own eyes right now (though I still drink & eat meat id like to cut it out in my own time). Im just, to be honest slightly worried about peoples reactions, having being a member of the Muslim community, I know it shouldn't bother me but im only human just what people think, say or being outcasted yano? Another major thing is my girlfriend who ive been with for 5 years and love dearly and wish to marry one day her parents wont allow her to marry a non Muslim, but as much as a I love her I cant live a lie when it comes to my religious beliefs - what can I do? I already wear a Kara a go Gurdwara, about to start growing my kesh but im just really confused man, just dont know what to do well I do but its hard to if anyone understands?

Lastly is there any procedure I have to take to be a Sikh, (not an amritsari as im not ready to take that step) but just a Sikh?

Im writing for any possible help? Anyone have or heard of similar experiences or anything that helped them? It would be appreciated..... May WaheguruJi bless you all and thanks for your time.

SatSriAkal

Guest Guest

To become a Sikh is to take Amrit, preparation for which can take some time (whether that is months or years) until you feel that you are personally ready. I would advise you find some practicing Sikhs your own age in real life rather than on the internet to interact with and learn more from - being in the company of a religious person is much more beneficial than hearing words from potentially any anonymous person online. Maybe you can post your location so people can advise you.

Guest _NonPanjabiSikh_

To become a Sikh is to take Amrit, preparation for which can take some time (whether that is months or years) until you feel that you are personally ready. I would advise you find some practicing Sikhs your own age in real life rather than on the internet to interact with and learn more from - being in the company of a religious person is much more beneficial than hearing words from potentially any anonymous person online. Maybe you can post your location so people can advise you.

thanks for the help lol im not that dumb mate, I have LOADS of Sikh friends both religious and not so religious and go Gurdwara occasional not to mention get most of my info from the Guru Granth Shahib Ji (the best source in my mind)

yeah im not ready to take Amrit, but there are many Sikhs that I know that havent took Amrit. So the only way to become Sikh is taking Amrit? Wow.. thanks for the help though and may God bless you Guest

Guest guest

The way to become a sikh is to take amrit which is baptism, thats the only way to become a sikh. You can find when the next amrit sanchars are held in the Global events section. I only know of this website that shows where amrit sanchars are held: http://www.akj.org/skins/one/programs.php?countryid=4 These amrit sanchars are held at rensbhais (whole night keertan-singing God's praises). Alot of people have been inspired to take amrit by these events. There will be alot of sikhs there to get advice from. Amrit Sanchars provide you with the 5 K's.

Before taking amrit, you will need to prepare for it by:

- practicing to recite nitnem(7 prayers) daily which are japji sahib, jaap sahib, tav prasad savaiye, chaupai sahib, anand sahib (before dawn), rehraas sahib (evening), sohala (before sleeping). Since you might not be able to read Gurmukhi (sikh scripture) you can listen to audio instead or read from the transliteration. Audio of nitnem: http://www.sonapreet.net/nitname_audio.htm Read: http://www.sikhnet.com/pages/download-banis

- Kakkars: you will need start wearing the 5 k's which are kesh/keski(turban covering your hair see link: http://www.sikhnet.com/pages/tyingturbans), kanga, kashera, kirpan and kara.

- Getting up early in the morning between 2-6 and recite the first 5 prayers listed above. When you take amrit, they will give you naam which is to meditate on God's name.

- Avoiding the four cardinal sins(bujjar kurehit): eating meat and egg, adultery(before and after marriage), intoxicants(alcohol, drugs, smoking) and cutting hair.

Here is a book written by a sikh saint called what is amrit: http://www.akj.org/skins/one/books.php?ch=1&bookid=2

Guest Guest

One is only a Sikh of the Guru once they have taken Amrit, in the same way that a student is only part of a school once they have formally enrolled - they can wear the uniform or read the books, but this does not make them students of that school. At the same time you shouldn't feel rushed to take Amrit but be aware that it is the beginning of a spiritual journey that you should be aiming for as you increase the amount of Simran and Gurbani you do and Rehat that you keep.

Guest guest

thanks for the help lol im not that dumb mate, I have LOADS of Sikh friends both religious and not so religious and go Gurdwara occasional not to mention get most of my info from the Guru Granth Shahib Ji (the best source in my mind)

yeah im not ready to take Amrit, but there are many Sikhs that I know that havent took Amrit. So the only way to become Sikh is taking Amrit? Wow.. thanks for the help though and may God bless you Guest

The reason why there are sikhs who have not taken amrit is because they are born into a sikh family but they are just sikh by name. You will need to take amrit to actually become a sikh. Sikh means student, you need a teacher to be a student. By taking amrit you become Guru Gobind Singh Ji's and Mata Sahib Kaur's Son/daughter and hence their student. The two most important reasons why you will need to take amrit is because you will need Naam and the true Guru.

A Sikh is a learner, someone who believes in the teachings of the Guru's. I know a lot of members may bash on me for saying this, but you can become a Sikh internally. No one has the right to tell you that you aren't a Sikh if you haven't taken Amrit. Your Sikhism is a direct connection between you and Guru Sahib and no one from the Sangat (congregation) can tell you otherwise. Only you know how much you strive to become a true Sikh. Therefore, you have to decide how you want to become a Sikh. Bhai Gurdas Ji writes:

"He is true Sikh who surrenders before the Guru and bows his head;

Who puts his mind and forehead on the feet of Guru;

Who holding dear to his heart the teachings of the Guru expels ego from his self;

Who loves the will of Lord and has attained equipoise by becoming Guru-oriented, gurmukh;

Who by merging his consciousness in the Word has acted according to the divine Will (hukam).

He (the true Sikh) as the result of his love and fear of holy congregation attains his own self (atma).

He remains stuck to the lotus feet of the Guru like the black bee.

Getting enveloped in this delight he goes on quaffing the nectar.

Blessed is the mother of such a person. Only his coming to this world is fruitful."

Vaar 3, Pauri 20

God Bless, Brother

Bhul Chuk Maaf

A Sikh is a learner, someone who believes in the teachings of the Guru's. I know a lot of members may bash on me for saying this, but you can become a Sikh internally. No one has the right to tell you that you aren't a Sikh if you haven't taken Amrit. Your Sikhism is a direct connection between you and Guru Sahib and no one from the Sangat (congregation) can tell you otherwise. Only you know how much you strive to become a true Sikh. Therefore, you have to decide how you want to become a Sikh. Bhai Gurdas Ji writes:

"He is true Sikh who surrenders before the Guru and bows his head;

Who puts his mind and forehead on the feet of Guru;

Who holding dear to his heart the teachings of the Guru expels ego from his self;

Who loves the will of Lord and has attained equipoise by becoming Guru-oriented, gurmukh;

Who by merging his consciousness in the Word has acted according to the divine Will (hukam).

He (the true Sikh) as the result of his love and fear of holy congregation attains his own self (atma).

He remains stuck to the lotus feet of the Guru like the black bee.

Getting enveloped in this delight he goes on quaffing the nectar.

Blessed is the mother of such a person. Only his coming to this world is fruitful."

Vaar 3, Pauri 20

God Bless, Brother

Bhul Chuk Maaf

I agree with you very much on this. I think everyone's goal, however, should be to take khanday Batay Da Pahul eventually once you understand what it means to take Amrit. All Sikhs should have the aim to take Amrit. With that aside i will try to answer :

If you want any information about taking Amrit, i found this article the best and it is helping me out right now too:

http://www.panthic.org/articles/4471

That article might help a little, but it is not everything and the rule book.

I posted this on another thread, might have something good written in it, a lot of other people here will be able to help you. In the mean time:

Sikhi doesn't believe in rituals or superstition so there isn't really a "spiritual practice" that would actually benefit you other than reading Gurbani/katha from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and understanding what Sikhi teaches and then strive to apply the teachings of Guru Ji in every wake of your consciousness.

A Sikh should do these three things

kirat karo - honest work

naam japo- recite God's name and Gurbani

vand chako- distribute to the needy

A Sikh strives to stop or control these things with true intention

Kaam- Lust

Krodh- anger/hate

Lobh- Greed

Moh- Worldly attachment

Ahankar- Ego

The best summation of what Sikhi is in Jap Ji Sahib mool mantar.

http://en.wikipedia....hib#Mool_Mantar

Think of Sikhi as a path and you will slowly gain more and more understanding of the world and automatically you will start to change your lifestyle. A GurSikh is she or he that thinks of Sikhi in everyday life and strives to follow the Guru's way.

As for your girlfriend, i'm not sure on that case, I think that is something you should decide upon on yourself once you start to learn more and more about Sikhi i don't think i have the authority to comment on that. Whatever happens, i believe if you do ardaas from the heart you will slowly be able to solve the issue. In order to understand, i may suggest looking at what Anand Karaj (Sikh marriage) means.

Guest _NonPanjabiSikh_

Sat sri akaal brothers and sisters

thanks for all of your help

but what about all of those born sikhs who are yet to take amrit because they are unready are they not sikh? i myself love the religion but am in no way ready to be an amritsari, I thought i can still be a sikh as sikh means student?

Guest Ji

thanks I already wear a Kara started to grow my hair recently aswell and thanks I was going to say reading Gurmukhi hasnt the same effect as English does on me, the English translations of the GuruJis words are what has brought me this far especially the Asa Di Vaar.

I have some problems with meat and alcohol other than that the rest I can do fine.. think im going to have to work on them...

HKaurp Ji

thanks thats what I thought.. thanks alot meant alot to me but I dont know what Bhul Chuk Maaf means (still rusty on Panjabi). I was under the impression that its my personal relationship with God and none others

Singh559 Ji

thanks again great help and site veerji. And yep ive read alot about Sikh marriage etc all makes perfect sense to me. Personally I believe religion is a personal issue and shouldnt effect the relationship but then I guess they see things differently (she pakistani by origin)

Thank you all for all of your websites help etc, May God bless you.. I need all the guidance I can get right now lol.. Its mostly having the strength to take this step. For me not much of a step is required because the way i was raised was practically as a Sikh anyway (i just never knew it) and the fact of being brave enough to proclaim it but i deffo agree with the last brother, reciting the naam of God will guide me in the right direction as it has thus far

WaheGuruJiKaKhalsaWaheGuruJikeFateh

Guest Waheguru

Sat Sri Akal ji.

Like you, i too am Non-Punjabi.

It really doesn't matter, anyone can be a Sikh (student).

But first one needs to resolve as to Who is SAT-GURU (true-teacher) ?

Henceforth an individual must put his/her faith in teachings of Gurbani and Code of Conduct.

Simple as that !

Right now I can only think of the following article

http://manvirsingh.blogspot.com/2010/10/general-ayub-khan-former-president-of.html

Sat Sri Akal