Sikh Outraged

Wahe guru ji ka khalsa

Wahe guru ji ki fateh

Sikhs outraged after 95-year-old's beard shaved: Complaint filed

Nurse at Hotel-Dieu clips beard without permission

---------------------------------------------

Veronique Mandal Star Health-Science Reporter, Windsor Star

windsor

The family of a deeply religious Sikh is filing a Human Rights complaint after the man's beard was shaved by a Hotel-Dieu Grace Hospital nurse without his permission.

Angad Singh, 95, in strict adherence with his faith, has never allowed one hair to be removed from his face and head. The beard of a Sikh is one of the five sacred insignia of his religion,

Singh was sent to hospital on June 4 by a Community Care Access Centre nurse for blood work and a general check-up, said his son Maninder. The following day his beard was shaved and his eyebrows trimmed.

"There was absolutely no reason for the nurse to shave his beard and if I had not come into his room in time, she would have cut his hair," said Maninder. "It's just a terrible thing."

Singh sits in an armchair in his son's home, his smile of greeting belies the hurt and humiliation he feels knowing that his once elegantly tied beard is now reduced to a scraggly, month-old tuft of hair.

A man of stature as an officer in the Indian government of the late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Singh is hard of hearing, but mentally sharp and says he has been totally disgraced by the shaving.

From a man who regularly gave sermons, Singh now hides in the back of the temple, too ashamed to be seen by his fellow worshippers.

"This is very difficult to deal w

ith. I feel very much ashamed and this is very bad for me," said Singh. "I many times tried to stop her, but she wouldn't stop. This has brought disgrace on the whole family...... (post is too long to paste here - please go to link)

waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru pray.gifpray.gif

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• yeh it's true, we shouldn't be lazy and need to learn jhatka shikaar. It doesn't help some of grew up in surrounding areas like Slough and Southall where everyone thought it was super bad for amrit dharis to eat meat, and they were following Sant babas and jathas, and instead the Singhs should have been normalising jhatka just like the recent world war soldiers did. We are trying to rectifiy this and khalsa should learn jhatka.  But I am just writing about bhog for those that are still learning rehit. As I explained, there are all these negative influences in the panth that talk against rehit, but this shouldn't deter us from taking khanda pahul, no matter what level of rehit we are!
    • How is it going to help? The link is of a Sikh hunter. Fine, but what good does that do the lazy Sikh who ate khulla maas in a restaurant? By the way, for the OP, yes, it's against rehit to eat khulla maas.
    • Yeah, Sikhs should do bhog of food they eat. But the point of bhog is to only do bhog of food which is fit to be presented to Maharaj. It's not maryada to do bhog of khulla maas and pretend it's OK to eat. It's not. Come on, bro, you should know better than to bring this Sakhi into it. Is this Sikh in the restaurant accompanied by Guru Gobind Singh ji? Is he fighting a dharam yudh? Or is he merely filling his belly with the nearest restaurant?  Please don't make a mockery of our puratan Singhs' sacrifices by comparing them to lazy Sikhs who eat khulla maas.
    • Seriously?? The Dhadi is trying to be cute. For those who didn't get it, he said: "Some say Maharaj killed bakras (goats). Some say he cut the heads of the Panj Piyaras. The truth is that they weren't goats. It was she-goats (ਬਕਰੀਆਂ). He jhatka'd she-goats. Not he-goats." Wow. This is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard in relation to Sikhi.
    • Instead of a 9 inch or larger kirpan, take a smaller kirpan and put it (without gatra) inside your smaller turban and tie the turban tightly. This keeps a kirpan on your person without interfering with the massage or alarming the masseuse. I'm not talking about a trinket but rather an actual small kirpan that fits in a sheath (you'll have to search to find one). As for ahem, "problems", you could get a male masseuse. I don't know where you are, but in most places there are professional masseuses who actually know what they are doing and can really relieve your muscle pains.

Important Information

Terms of Use