Why Don'T Some Wives Call Their Husbands By Their Name?

Guest wondering

Guest wondering

Gurfateh

I was just thinking one day,and this question arose: why do some people/wives not call their husband by their name?

I know in the past that was the case, but these days you have more and more people calling their husbands by their name.

Do you agree with it? I just wanted to see what the sangats views are..

Thank you,

Gurfateh :)

I think real respect comes from how you behave towards someone in a day-to-day fashion. Not by refraining from addressing your partner by their given name.

Don't be deluded, you used to have wives who absolutely detested their husbands in the old days too. Just because they never called them by their name, it didn't mean they 'respected' them.

Straight up, I think there are certain things are are a bit 'badhoo' in Panjabi culture that I'm not too concerned about. This is one of those things.

In my family none of the women have called there husbands by there name, I guess it just wasn't the done thing. My gran calls my grandad .............(dads name) da papa. My chachi calls my chacha .......(brothers name)..da chacha. My other chachi calls my Chacha boldeh nahi, which makes us all laugh cos we always reply yes he does speak! My mother in law calls my father in law sardar ji. I called my husband by his name once and got told off so I followed them and never call my husband by his name, which can be difficult when you have people round, lol! Just have to try and catch his eye or say meri gal sunno!

However all my sisters and friends call there husbands by there name. I don't think there's any significance behind it other then a tradition that's just been passed down!

If a husband can call his wife by her name, his wife should be able to call him by his name.... :p

Lol I think it's quite funny when husbands and wives call each other 'oi' and 'hey' and even '<banned word filter activated>' lol. It's not like we should have an ego (sense of 'I') to hurt anyway according to sikhi. It prob keeps them humble.