Difference Between Keski, Dumalla And Dastar

Guest Dass

veero te bhaino ,

1. isn't dumalla meaning two cloths i.e.two dastars so it is the combo of bunga plus outer two layers of dastars (keshki and outer dastar)?

2. Do you split the width of the turban as it comes from the than or just fold double ?

2 - Usually Dumala turban material isn't very wide or else it might become harder to tie. Thats why Full Voile and F74 are used because they have a less thread count i think. The dumala would be really thick and fat looking and you wouldnt be able to do proper lars if you use thick or heavy material. It shouldn't be too wide because you will already have a keski/bunga and it will be much more difficult to tie. under Mostly everyone I know just splits the turban , but I think if you get a really small material or if you are making your dumalla really small then maybe keave it double I would say you just split it and make two, if you are tieing a keski under then you must.

from experience

2 - Usually Dumala turban material isn't very wide or else it might become harder to tie. Thats why Full Voile and F74 are used because they have a less thread count i think. The dumala would be really thick and fat looking and you wouldnt be able to do proper lars if you use thick or heavy material. It shouldn't be too wide because you will already have a keski/bunga and it will be much more difficult to tie. under Mostly everyone I know just splits the turban , but I think if you get a really small material or if you are making your dumalla really small then maybe keave it double I would say you just split it and make two, if you are tieing a keski under then you must.

from experience

because I usually do split and picot raw edge on house sewing machine for my own dastar , that is my usual MO but since I read you aren't supposed to sew the dastar in rehitnama I got a little unsure if I was doing something wrong .

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Guest Gurjot singh said:

Is it compulsory for an amritdhari sikh to tie dumala only, according to historical scriptures and rehat ?

yes in Hukam nama Guru Pita ji has stated that there should be two turbans as we have seen in past the outside one can be used to cover ijjat of females rescued (Bangladesh, Haryana) or rescue people (punjab) whilst keeping internal one to keep head covered.

Guest Someguy
On 23/11/2013 at 3:36 PM, Singh123456777 said:

The keski is not a kakaar.Sri sarbloh Granth states that the kes is kakaar.I think that in sri dasam Granth it also tells that kesh is kakaar.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji said that hair and keski is considered 1 kakkar and you need both in order to take amrit. Check Bhai Rama Singh jis biography. There are others which also said this.

48 minutes ago, Guest Someguy said:

Guru Gobind Singh Ji said that hair and keski is considered 1 kakkar and you need both in order to take amrit. Check Bhai Rama Singh jis biography. There are others which also said this.

Yea, um keep your akj rehat with you