Meanings Of Siharis

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!

Dear all!

Bijla Singh wrote in the post #32

"My post was strictly about meanings of siharis and their purpose not pronunciation."

I have the curiosity to learn.

How many meanings of siharis are available in Gurmukhi language? In writing there is only one sihari though.

I have a question also. Why Satinaam ਸਤਿਨਾਮੁ is always written with a sihari?

Balbir Singh

Okay, this is for Bijla Singh.

I listened to my santhiya by Giani Thakur Singh when reading Rehraas and noticed the following:

ਹਰ‌ਿ

ਪਿਠ‌ਿ

ਤਾਮ‌ਿ

and

ਚਿਤਿ

These shabads (in the beginning of the paat) seem to have no pronounced siharees? Why?

Then later we seem to have:

ਦੇਹਿ which has pronunciation and:

ਮਿਲਿ

ਦਾਤਿ both of which seem not to be pronounced?

Also what about: ਸਾਹਿ ਸਾਹਿ ??

I was reading a translation of Japji katha by sister Tejkaran and get the impression some of these siharees are there because of some gender thing? Other than that I'm wondering why silent siharees are there?

Can you shine some ਚਾਨਣਾ on the matter?

Please be advised that my Panjabi is a work in progress.

Dalsingh, if you could post exact panktis that would be great and will save me a lot of time. You are mixing two topics (which is expected from someone who doesn't know viyakaran). For pronunciation, just listen to Jarnail Singh's audios which is mostly accurate. There are rules to pronounce words with nasal sounds. Talwara's book would be helpful in that regard. I will discuss meanings of siharis (at the end of the word) and their purpose once you post some panktis because I want to make sure that I do not write anything out of context. Gurbani has its own language and rules so there is no one single rule for all siharis.

Will do soon. Where can I get Jarnail Singh's audios? Are they really better than Giani Thakur Singh?

Gyani ji themselves recommend Bhai Jarnail Singh Ji's ucharan for new students who require a more audible pronunciation of the "sihari's" and other laga(n) mantraa(n). Gyani ji do pronounce, but it is difficult for newer students to catch the whole sound. That said, I really do like Gyani Thakur Singh Ji's nitnem ucharan for two reasons. First, I find the voice very sweet and soothing. Second, it's comforting to know that the Bani is being read correctly (as much as Guruji has enabled the sevak).

Bhai Jarnail Singh Ji has a very crisp, chiselled voice, showing that fully pronouncing Gurbani does not necessarily slow down or make the the ucharan any less beautiful.

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/audio/Gurbani_Ucharan

I have never listened to Giani Thakur Singh's or anybody's santhiya lessons because I have already had it from my father. I have listened to Jarnail Singh's paath because I play his audios for my son to listen to so I know his pronunciation is correct (almost). For you to learn how to pronounce Gurbani, listen to his audios. For meanings and viyakaran we can do Gurbani veechar and learn from each other. I think this should be done most on forums.

Bijla Singh

Can't you start explaining some of the basics of the grammar now? Maybe focus with siharees and aunkars that do and don't get pronounced. Use Rehraas Sahib to illustrate?