Spondylitis

Guest GUPT

Sangat ji i m very young age girl i m suffering frm neck pain after xRAY doctor said i hve spondylitis........Doctor said don't pick heavy load,don't drive 2 wheeler soon i wanna wear keski

and wanna learn gatka..........par eda halat vicha is i will be able to pick the kirpan and learn gatka.........i will be able to wear keski...........

is spondylitis is curable?????????

Penji. I am sorry to hear your news. What your able to do and not able to do depends on how bad your spondylitis is and which joints are affected. I assume yours is ankylosing spondylitis which is inflammation of the spine and nearby joints causing them to fuse together so movement becomes stiff and painful. Although there is no cure, most people are able to live a near normal life with flare ups which go.

But talk to your dr about your concerns as he will be able to monitor you and work out which group of people you fall into you. Regardless of which group your in, you don't want to do anything which may put more stress on your joints so heavy manual work is best avoided. Also from what I remember when I used to do gatka, the kirpan is light so if its your spine, you should have no problem holding a kirpan but the gatka steps especially rotations of the spine may cause pain.

If that happens you could always do basics like just swinging shastar whilst standing still. (Most people do that anyways!) But take it as it comes, if something is adding injury then stop. Liek someone said talk to physiotherapist and dr - they probably have never heard fo gatka so if they give you a blank look, say its a martial arts and at least that way they have a vague idea, I personally think standing and learning arm movements in gatka is definately possible and the rest depends on how stiff your spine is so take it as it comes. If you feel you cannot then don't push yourself, just do as much as you can bear.