How Do You Fold Pagg Cloth Single-Man?

Hanu

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

I took Amrit about 6 weeks ago and since then have been wearing keski because I do not know how to tie a correct pagg, and the keski themselves are not really well tied either, kind of ridiculous. I put up flyers on two occasions at my gurudwara asking for someone to show me how to tie (I don't know anyone personally there), but no takers, none of my Sikh friends are Kheshdhari so they have no idea. I wrote once to this forum and somebody said to put the cloth on the bed with a weight, fold half, then weight down the other half, which made sense in writing but didn't work when I tried it because the cloth is too long for the bed.

When I try to fold with the doorknob I can control only the first metre or two, then the rest is loose and gets ropey during the tying.

So this is where I'm at. I did find a very good tying tutorial on a video, a general pagg with notch in the front for a patka or fifty to show through which is what I want, and I have practiced enough that I think with properly folded cloth I can pulll it off ok, but the problem is that when the tutor folds the cloth at the beginning he has helper--which doesn't show me how to fold it by myself. Every single you tube or other video I see of pagg tutorial has two or three people folding the cloth. I know that every single person wearing pagg in the world does not have a wife/husband/younger brother/etc. to fold their cloth with them in the morning--they are doing it alone, there must be a do-it-alone trick.

What is the trick? How do you fold a 5 or 7 meter long cloth, with control and tightness and sharpness so your pagg looks good?

Thank you so much for your help. You have no idea how tired I am of looking ridiculous.

In the mean time try tying a dumalla or ghol dastaar, I started out tying triangular dastaar and then learned how to tie dumalla. I personally prefer dumalla, but i'm not really good at tying it yet. For dumalla you need thin material 5-10 meters in length...

Here are videos on how to tie both.

Dumalla Dastaar:

Triangular Dastaar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6G4s5DHhPs

In this video the Singh separates the lard on HIS right side, I don't do this, this is a personal preference and how you do the pooni. The way I do the pooni is a mix and I technically could do that, but I don't...

When you start out I suggest finding someone who can help you do pooni, if not then there are ways you can fold it yourself...

The first thing you should do is go to your giani jis at your local gurudwara and ask them if they can help you out. They should know and should be happy to help you out... Is your kapra double or single and how long is it?

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa

Waheguru ji ki Fateh!

Veerji, thank you so much. My kapra is single, I have one 5 metre I had chopped from 7 metres, and several 7 metre kapras.

I actually was watching this exact video for the triangular dastar last night and I was like "Oh my goodness! I could never do that!" Iit looks so daunting. But don't you have to fold beforehand?

The dumalla actually looks a lot easier. But as the video closed was he going to be putting on a third pagg? For the dumalla do you cut the 10 metre kapra in half to make the two separate pieces?

Yes, I should be asking jiani jis at the gurudwara, was using the flyers to get around the formality and be a little more casual, but I don't think many people at my gurudwara (not that many kheshdhari either I think) speak much English, so my flyers could have been more of a confusion than ever a help.

Thank you again!

In the mean time try tying a dumalla or ghol dastaar, I started out tying triangular dastaar and then learned how to tie dumalla. I personally prefer dumalla, but i'm not really good at tying it yet. For dumalla you need thin material 5-10 meters in length...

Here are videos on how to tie both.

Dumalla Dastaar:

Triangular Dastaar

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=R6G4s5DHhPs

In this video the Singh separates the lard on HIS right side, I don't do this, this is a personal preference and how you do the pooni. The way I do the pooni is a mix and I technically could do that, but I don't...

When you start out I suggest finding someone who can help you do pooni, if not then there are ways you can fold it yourself...

The first thing you should do is go to your giani jis at your local gurudwara and ask them if they can help you out. They should know and should be happy to help you out... Is your kapra double or single and how long is it?

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh.

firstly vadhaayan for giving yourself to your lord and master and treading the path of gursikhi.

gursikh pyare ji, if you live in the uk i can show you how to die a gol / tipped dastaar. just PM me and we will sort something out.

in the mean time, just make sure your head is covered night and day, and keep your nitnem and simran as strong as you can.

gursikhaa man vaaDhaa-ee-aa jin mayraa satguroo dithaa raam raajay.

The minds of the Gursikhs rejoice, because they have seen my True Guru, O Lord King.

ko-ee kar gal sunaavai har naam kee so lagai gursikhaa man mithaa.

If someone recites to them the story of the Lord's Name, it seems so sweet to the mind of those Gursikhs.

har dargeh gursikh painaa-ee-ah jinHaa mayraa satgur tuthaa.

The Gursikhs are robed in honor in the Court of the Lord; my True Guru is very pleased with them.

jan naanak har har ho-i-aa har har man vuthaa. ||4||12||19||

Servant Nanak has become the Lord, Har, Har; the Lord, Har, Har, abides within his mind. ||4||12||19||

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh!

Veerji, thank you so much for your kind offer and for your words of encouragement, but I am not living in UK but in New York City, so I cannot take advantage of your offer unfortunately. However, very kind of you.

I will keep on the right track, and when Waheguru Ji wills it, something will happen. I am keeping my head covered, uncovering it literally only to wash and comb, and I am saying my nitnem and simran on a daily basis as prescribed.

firstly vadhaayan for giving yourself to your lord and master and treading the path of gursikhi.

gursikh pyare ji, if you live in the uk i can show you how to die a gol / tipped dastaar. just PM me and we will sort something out.

in the mean time, just make sure your head is covered night and day, and keep your nitnem and simran as strong as you can.

gursikhaa man vaaDhaa-ee-aa jin mayraa satguroo dithaa raam raajay.

The minds of the Gursikhs rejoice, because they have seen my True Guru, O Lord King.

ko-ee kar gal sunaavai har naam kee so lagai gursikhaa man mithaa.

If someone recites to them the story of the Lord's Name, it seems so sweet to the mind of those Gursikhs.

har dargeh gursikh painaa-ee-ah jinHaa mayraa satgur tuthaa.

The Gursikhs are robed in honor in the Court of the Lord; my True Guru is very pleased with them.

jan naanak har har ho-i-aa har har man vuthaa. ||4||12||19||

Servant Nanak has become the Lord, Har, Har; the Lord, Har, Har, abides within his mind. ||4||12||19||

Veerji, thank you so much for your kind offer and for your words of encouragement, but I am not living in UK but in New York City, so I cannot take advantage of your offer unfortunately. However, very kind of you.

I will keep on the right track, and when Waheguru Ji wills it, something will happen. I am keeping my head covered, uncovering it literally only to wash and comb, and I am saying my nitnem and simran on a daily basis as prescribed.

All thanks to the great giver Satguru Maharaj.

Khalsa JI, i know some sangat in new york. PM me if you would like me to put you intouch with a singh who can help you.

You know, i used to have difficulties tying a dastaar at first, then a bhai sahib told me "it doesnt matter how you do your dastaar as long as its covered your kesh. in time you will pick up. it doesnt matter what the world thinks of you, it only matters what Guru Sahib thinks"... i think this is pretty good advice. now i tie my dastaar nice and big. khalsa ji im sure you dont need me to tell you, but do keep the company of sadhsangat... and talk to them about your sikhi and nitnem and things, also ask them how thir sikhi is progressing. also, as you know you have your e-sangat here to assist you in anyway we can ;)

Veerji, this is very good advice for me to be getting, because it is a lot I keep forgetting. Thank you for the reminder.

All thanks to the great giver Satguru Maharaj.

Khalsa JI, i know some sangat in new york. PM me if you would like me to put you intouch with a singh who can help you.

You know, i used to have difficulties tying a dastaar at first, then a bhai sahib told me "it doesnt matter how you do your dastaar as long as its covered your kesh. in time you will pick up. it doesnt matter what the world thinks of you, it only matters what Guru Sahib thinks"... i think this is pretty good advice. now i tie my dastaar nice and big. khalsa ji im sure you dont need me to tell you, but do keep the company of sadhsangat... and talk to them about your sikhi and nitnem and things, also ask them how thir sikhi is progressing. also, as you know you have your e-sangat here to assist you in anyway we can wink.gif