Cutting Hair - Dilemma

Vaheguru,

I have been faced with a dilemma for the past two weeks that I simply cannot get my head around, literally!

I was trimming the overgrown hedge in my front garden and cutting the grass when it hit me. The fact that I am trying to be a true Gursikh and have stopped trimming my beard or cutting my hair. So much so that I feel to conquer the five vices, I have to go as far as not tying/styling my beard and avoid using a mirror/pins etc... to style my turban, which are all forms of showing off my appearance to others.

If I feel so strongly about not cutting my hair then why is it ok to trim the garden hedge and cut the grass? Should we not just let it grow wild and live life in a jungle?

I understand the concept of cutting fruit/vegetables when they have reached a ripened state and will fall off the tree/plant and die anyway.

But my garden hedge is evergreen and will carry on growing no matter what, just like my hair!

Thinking about this is doing my head in now and I can't find a good explanation.

A big thank you, in advance, to anyone who can solve this dilemma for me.

Rabb Raakha

Harman Singh

You are not faced with no dilemma, but have created a set up scenario here for others to fall for.

Here is the simple answer grass does not grow on your body and hair does. This means grass is not apart of you. Gurbani say to take from the envirnoment as much as you need. USe the envirnoment as much as you need. Making your house look nice is not a sin. Keeping a Dastaar on that is tied on nicely is not a sin. Adoring your nice house as it is permanent is not a sin but maya, that does not let you see Waheguru.

Your dilemma is false because even cutting fruits that have ripen off plants would be wrong. Whether they ripen up or not is a non issue. Whether they die or not is a non issue as well. Your thinking is based on the jains and Guru Sahib was against the way they lived.