The Other Pair Bindis

alias

is it true that the lala pair bindi started in 1960-70 by patiaala uni??

and the other pair bindis which are aira and haha and tata was started in the 1930s by bhai kaahn singh nabha - the dude who done the mahaan kosh?

all im reely askin bout is the dates reely...

thanks...

is it true that the lala pair bindi started in 1960-70 by patiaala uni??

and the other pair bindis which are aira and haha and tata was started in the 1930s by bhai kaahn singh nabha - the dude who done the mahaan kosh?

all im reely askin bout is the dates reely...

thanks...

I do not know who started it in punjabi, but for sure lala pair bindi is not punjabi syllable, of other languages owing origin to sanskritit is found in marathi (spoken in maharashtra ) and drawidian ( southern indian languages. In hindi, only some kaidas ( primers) have itin written hindi it is seldom used, in punjabi we find it in latter day paintee , ( thirty five word primer) only , almost never came across in real print . Putting bindibelow a letter in punjabi ascribes stressed voice to the letter , as described by the linguist.For other pairi bindi letters, as said above ,these are stressed syllables, normally used in persial script(used to write urdu) and Bhai Kahan Singh NABHA has written in his treatise clearly, that he has used these forms to explain words having origin in other langage, and punjabi as written in gurmukhi script does not require these letters .

• 2 years later...

I have never understood lalla pair bindi. I first noticed it relatively recently and it would not surprise me if in the last forty years it was some academic from Patiala uni who created it because that's the prime place of learning of the Punjabi language and that department has done a lot of great work. However I have never understood how lalla pair bindi differs from a standard lalla.

I read Urdu/ farsi script as well as Gurmukhi and can understand aira, haha and tatta having pair bindis as this would more accurately place some pronounciations that are Arabic or Farsi in origin. But then we would need an alternative sassa for the Arabic s (suad) if we were going down that road and we already have sasse pair bindi for the sh sound - so we may need to introduce sasse pair double-bindi?

Personally I think the standard Gurmukhi Penti along with the five standard pair bindi letters suffices well for the Punjabi language.

hehe!! same as mee! iwaslike, its jusst a lalla!!

but take the word kaal. if u use normal lalla, its the stem word for black, if u use the bindi lalla, its death. (or the other way round -cant rememba).

i can read and write farsi and urdu just about too.. but prob not as good as uoooz. :p and ibeleve that it was because of farsi, the pair bindi was created. re, the saud, i think there is one where the middle line of sassa has a lil cross or somthing...

the time of gurus, there were no pair bindis.. so i dont believe theres need for bindis anyway. :p

imagine a rardaa pair bindi! how the freak woukd u pronunce that one!