Postgraduate Students?

Guest student

Guest student

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

just wondering if there are any postgrad students studying at one of the better ranked unis (in the UK) that I could ask a few questions about getting in, I'm an undergraduate student about to go into second year. Would especially love to hear from any lawyers but would still appreciate advice from all else.

I'd be extremely grateful.

Guest Guest

just wondering if there are any postgrad students studying at one of the better ranked unis (in the UK) that I could ask a few questions about getting in, I'm an undergraduate student about to go into second year. Would especially love to hear from any lawyers but would still appreciate advice from all else.

Sorry to not answer the question but are you sure about law? It can be a 'dishonest' field to get into and as a Sikh there are lots of other professions which are based on proper kirt kamai.

Guest Guest

Sorry to not answer the question but are you sure about law? It can be a 'dishonest' field to get into and as a Sikh there are lots of other professions which are based on proper kirt kamai.

^^not necessarily true....as a Sikh it is our duty to learn the law of the land we live in and use it to attain justice for those who have been persecuted/discriminated against/been a victim of crime and so on....law practice or decisions may not always be fair or just but if we have good Sikh lawyers who work with Sikh integrity then there is a better hope and chance of justice being served

Guest Guest

^^not necessarily true....as a Sikh it is our duty to learn the law of the land we live in and use it to attain justice for those who have been persecuted/discriminated against/been a victim of crime and so on....law practice or decisions may not always be fair or just but if we have good Sikh lawyers who work with Sikh integrity then there is a better hope and chance of justice being served

I agree and can see where you are coming from, but in the real world starting out as a solicitor or lawyer you will defending or prosecuting for people who are plainly in the wrong.

The judges job is to come to a truthful decision based on evidence and this is what he gets paid for, but the lawyers job is simply to provide the best and strongest case for the defence/prosecution. Based on this, in practise you would be earning your kirt kamai from falsehood in some circumstances, and thus it is not a field you are not very likely to find a true Gurmukh in.

People I know who have gone into law (both amritdhari and non-sikhs) have no qualms with lying or being dishonest. I am not saying every single lawyer is a bad person but there is certainly a trend.

I'm currently about to start my Phd at Strathclyde University (top ranked law school in scotland and usually top 10-12 in UK) in human rights law. What would you like to know?

If easier, drop me a pm.

The English system at undergrad level is slightly different from the Scots form, I did a 4 years undergrad, then a 1 year masters prior to this.

Without getting sidetracked, there's really nothing right/wrong about getting involved in law for a career, it's really just the same as any other job. You can make your own choices as to whether you'll take up a role in litigation, you could easily be working in a commercial firm, theres a tendancy to just assume law is all about criminal law, when in reality its a tiny part of law as a whole. Law operates in every aspect of life, you could be a Human Rights lawyer (Jaswant Singh Khalra style), an environmental rights lawyer, a commercial lawyer, a criminal defence lawyer, a prosecutor, a road traffic law lawyer, divorce lawyer - to name but a few.

Guest Harsimran

I agree with the Scottish Singh

I'm a trainee just about to qualify as a corporate lawyer. I've never been placed in moral dilemmas - in fact we help prevent problems by setting out what two parties have agreed clearly on paper.

Also, it's a bit of a strange view to even assume that criminal law is not kirt kamai. By you owning a shop for example, you provide services to all sorts of evil people who walk through the door - this does mean it's not kirt kamai.

You can email me on lethal_Singh_sahib @ Hotmail dot com for more info veera