Maya

wjkk wjkf

maya is bad beacuse i disracts us from waheguru but wihout maya we cant do any seva.

eg.

if money is maya hen how are we suppose to donate money to charity?

if we keep awa from all maya then how are we suoppose o rais a family,clean the house,play sports be active,go to school,doin homework, all theese things are maya but its something we have to do

so is our aim to try and sop all theese things and onl focus on god and join with parmatma or what............

can you guys please try and answer.

wjkk wjkf

I think its important to first understand Maya is not bad as it too is the creation of God. How can that which is created by God be bad? What is 'bad' is our perception and understanding of what Maya is.

Maya is Bad, therefore something else must be Good ie: God. So now there is a conflict between God and Maya or You and Maya. Conflicts exist because of Duality and Duality is Maya. So it a cycle of ignorance that we create.

You are not in conflict with maya, you are simply in conflict with your ignorance of what Maya is. Maya cannot be destroyed, You can de-attach yourself from it through Wisdom and Experience. Objectivity is the key here, to be objective to your experience, not be a subject to the Duality of what Maya is. Knowing that a dream is dream while you are dreaming is liberating, but believing that your dream is your reality has more to do with us being ignorant than it being a conflict with the Dream itself. It is the nature of Maya to be what it is.

So we have to understand through Gyaan, through Wisdom, through our Meditative Experience what Maya is and how we should live within it, yet not at the same time. To be a part of this illusion and not become the illusion. To float across this expanse, and not drown in it. To be like the Lotus, remaining float even though the roots go deep within the muddy water. As the water rises, so does the Lotus, but it never sinks.

ਏਹ ਮਾਇਆ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਵਿਸਰੈ

Whatever makes you forget Vaheguru is Maya. If not, then you are fine.

TV is maya of you watch filthy movies, its not if you watch katha recordings

Computer is maya if you use it for bad purposes, its not if you play keertan files

Money is maya if thats all you think of, its not if you offer dasvand

ਏਹ ਮਾਇਆ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਵਿਸਰੈ

Whatever makes you forget Vaheguru is Maya. If not, then you are fine.

TV is maya of you watch filthy movies, its not if you watch katha recordings

Computer is maya if you use it for bad purposes, its not if you play keertan files

Money is maya if thats all you think of, its not if you offer dasvand

but what if i am watching50 movies but do simran while i am?

but what if i am watching50 movies but do simran while i am?

50 movies means 50X90min=4500mins =75 hours away from doing any sewa, any nitnem, any hard word to earn your living (how would you share if you dont earn).

So you just overruled Guru Nanak Dev jee's 3 golden rules.

I could never jap naam while I am watching movies. Even if I do here and there, it would be equivalent to may by half an hour total if put together out of 75hours. I have to pay attention to movie to get into it, other wise, why I am watching movie anyways. If I understand movie is maya, even worse, as I clearly know its made up pretending to be dramas, then whats the point//

If you can do naam simra while watching movie then you are genious.

My monkey mind goes on a ride somwhere else, even if I am sitting down to do simran only. Let alone while watching movie. Oh, I don't trust my monkey mind for that. I rather not give it lot of material to waste time thinking what happened in the movie I just watched.

50 movies means 50X90min=4500mins =75 hours away from doing any sewa, any nitnem, any hard word to earn your living (how would you share if you dont earn).

So you just overruled Guru Nanak Dev jee's 3 golden rules.

I could never jap naam while I am watching movies. Even if I do here and there, it would be equivalent to may by half an hour total if put together out of 75hours. I have to pay attention to movie to get into it, other wise, why I am watching movie anyways. If I understand movie is maya, even worse, as I clearly know its made up pretending to be dramas, then whats the point//

If you can do naam simra while watching movie then you are genious.

My monkey mind goes on a ride somwhere else, even if I am sitting down to do simran only. Let alone while watching movie. Oh, I don't trust my monkey mind for that. I rather not give it lot of material to waste time thinking what happened in the movie I just watched.

thanks for the reply but just to clear things i dont really watch 50 movies im just saying if i did :)

Maya is the whole creation of God it is the force of nature behind the world, it is representative of the world, however the problems arise when we get distracted by maya. Our aim is to be like God Niranjan purakh or unaffected by maya. It is said that if if you were to see maya she would present herself as a woman whose head was bald at the front and bald at the rear. The reason being that all the people who chase after maya have pulled all the hair out of the back of her head, however maya has so much respect for saints that she has gone bald from the front of the head because she keeps bowing at the feet of them and rubbed her hair away. The upshot of this being that maya always chases virtuous people.

Maya and ego or haumein are essential because God put them at the centre of every living being, they are our consciousness or control centre. Throughout your life this control centre or ego is the guardian of your security, welfare and progress. Without a deep commitment to the interests, preservation and progress of the self, to the exclusion of every other being you would never be able to survive the battle against the challenges from the environment. These forces have been the best means of securing survival and the progress of life from amoeba to man.

These have now become our disease, with the struggle against our elements and other species being won we are still unable to deal with the members of our own species. We commit sins and crimes to amass wealth ansd satisfy our ego, i.e. chase maya to fulfill our ego thus hurting mankind and causing ourselves pain.

Maya (or creation) itself is neutral neither good nor bad, it is our conduct with it that makes it good or bad. As you have rightly pointed out maya is essential to be given in charity and to do good deeds with, in that case it becomes a force for good. However, if you are a virtuous person and amass wealth and do nothing positive with it for you it becomes bad because you have not used it for the purpose it was given to you.

maya is a play thing that has been put on this earth to test us. it is a play thing from god to see if we indulge, or not.. go to god, or not..

maya is not money.. but it can be seen to be 1 example of it..

maya is..... ANYTHING that taked you away from god..

in anandsahib...

jaisi agan udhar mehe, taisi bahar maya.

maya agan sabh aeko jehi, karte khel rachaaya.

the rest of the pauri goes on to explain to us that why we are here... etc..

but these 2 first lines say that, however the fire dances, (as we see the fire dancing if we set summin alite),

thats how maya is there outside, i.e. within the world.

then the second line..

maya agan.. this is a concept. the fire-maya is all the same, (that is to say, maya is only 1, but comes in different forms, hence ppl say maya is mony),

and this maya has beed rachaaed, has been put on this earth as a play thing (which we must not indulge in..

the rest of the paure says through the grace of god, we have become born into a family.

and then our connection to god has been broken (because maya gets all of us when we are young!some say as soon as we are born)

and the love for maya has hit us,

and maya is given out as if it is the jewl of the world (i.e. in place of naam)

then the pauri says, this maya that has taken you away from god, you have become attached to it, and then you start to love the ''seconds''... i.e. the ppl and all that is second to god.

then the closing line to this pauri, says guru amardaas, those people that have their connection to god set amidst/ in the middle of maya, are the true ones that are the true gurprasadies the true people that take guru jis naam (because gurprasaad is sat naam aekangkaara. :D )

bout maya being a woman, thas only cusa men. to women maya is a fit guy!

so again...

maya is anything that takes you away from god...

it was said by a previous poster, that maya is not good or bad... this is in the notion that nothing is good or baad, because to look at good and bad is to be the same thing... it says this time and time again in gurbani... e.g. paap pun doe ek samaan; paap pun bhi saar na jaane; etc etc etc.... o! and kanchan loh samaan.. this is to say that gold and sarabloh to be seen as the same... but this is high level teaching... and some dont understand it...

maya takes u away from god... its mayas job.

iv heard that maya is also an entity that also wants to tar like we do. i.e. to get to god... but the catch with maya is that it cannot jup naam, but it can steal it from naamis, the ppl that do naam. and so, at the end of kaljug, maya will also tar. maya will alsi get 'emancipated'..

but this is jus what iv heard...

maya is a thing that plays on ur mun. hence, mun jeetae jag jeet..

neway.. hope ur q is answered...

and bout watching tv movies and doing naam, either u will start to simmar the badness and say vah vah to the badness, which is silly, or u will get a little bit of goodness, cus ur dpoing the naam simran, but u aint concentrating on it... so u also in this case may not get any goodness from the jupping, cus u aint reely jupping anyway...

or, you concentrate on naam, and then u loose it all through your eyes..

either ways, ur skrewed!!!

gurfateh jeeos...

• 2 weeks later...