Weight Training - Need Info

Guest Weak_Man

Guest Weak_Man

WJKK WJKF

I'm planning to start gym in September. Whats the best way train, as I work, and only have weekends off.

I'm looking for training on my stomach and arms. Want to get strong punch.

What you reccomend? :)

Please email me for more info: hecticsoulusa@gmail.com

WJKK WJKF

If you really want to get strong then you will want to focus your training routine around (at least the) following total body exercises

1. Squat

2. Deadlift

3. Pull ups/Chin ups

4. Push ups/Bench press

Word of caution, stop thinking in terms of training different body parts (as you have said you want to train stomach and arms). That is not how the human body functions in real life, a lot of muscles are used every time you do anything. As far as punching is concerned, you actually don't need strong arms for it. You do need a strong "core", which comprises of much more than your stomach. When you punch, you will surely need strong abs, but you will also needs strong glutes (butt) and strong hamstrings. I am not a martial artist so I may be wrong but what I have written above is how I understand the basics of muscle anatomy.

Oh and another thing, training only on weekends is not recommended. You will want to train at least 3 days/week, equally spaced out to allow for recovery. So something like Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday etc. works good. We all work, but you need to make time for what is important to you. 1 hr 3 times/week is really not that big of a commitment.

http://www.bodybuilding.com

i like this site, lots of information

and if you want to buy any veggie protein shakes check this site out. its reliable, ive ordered from them

http://monstersupple...age-lang-1.html

I have read a few articles on bodybuilding.com; while I found most of them to be good, there are a few in there which contain a bunch of hoeey. So take anything you read with a pinch of salt.

Can't argue with protein shakes, only thing I would say is don't build your body on them. Eat a balanced diet, lots of vegetables, get plenty of rest and listen to your body.

Take a multivitamin and lift heavy, youll be fine OP. Good luck in your fitness goals in 2010!

A word of caution here, we don't want to always lift heavy. Heavy is a subjective term:

- For a beginner trainee, "heavy" will be about 60% of the max weight they can lift. This is because beginner trainee simply does not know how to recruit all of their muscle fibers to lift.

- For an intermediate, "heavy" will be about 80% of the max weight they can lift. Through months (if not years) of training this type of trainee has learned how to recruit most of their muscle fibers. Most casual trainees are in this phase and will remain in this phase most of their training career.

- For an elite trainee (think Olympians), "heavy" is about 95+% of the max weight they can lift.

The point I want to get across is that a beginner trainee can get away with lifting "heavy" at every workout (it's not really heavy for their body). However, as trainee learns to recruit more of their muscle fibers, "heavy" can indeed be heavy and thus is much more stressful on the body. Invariably body needs longer periods of rest from 1 heavy workout to the next, this rest period can be up to a few weeks even! To clarify, by rest periods I do not mean don't do anything at all, you will still be lifting, but lifting lighter weights.

To summarize, if it's your first time weight lifting, then yes go ahead and lift what you feel is heavy. Stick to weights which allow for 5-8 reps for now, but remember form is of utmost importance! When you get to the gym, leave your ego at the door, don't compete with other lifters, respect the weight and lift the amount that allows you to complete all the reps you aim for with decent form. This can not be stressed enough.

I'm a girl and want to get fit and healthy, was wondering if anyne could give some proven tips?

Idea is the essentially same for both men and women. Only question is whether you would like to get strong or have more endurance. Training program should then be built based on this. Rule of thumb is:

- Low reps, 3-5, build more strength

- 8-10 reps, is considered ideal for gaining muscle

- High reps 12+, build stamina

Usually I find people want to do get strong while still building endurance, for this 8-10 rep range is ideal. Exercises are still the same as I listed in my initial post for this thread.

Guest guruvah

Remember to take a 2 day break after training it will give the muscles time to grow!!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ask yourself these 3 things before you speak :

1) Is it true..??

2) Is it necessary ..??

3) Will it hurt anybody..??

Guest zyzz_uawre

Take a multivitamin and lift heavy, youll be fine OP. Good luck in your fitness goals in 2010!

good advice, make sure u take a multi atleast. in b4 zyzz