Love Of Life Time In Sikhi

Taken from the blog, gursoch.blogspot.com

LOVE OF LIFE TIME IN SIKHI

Guru Nanak directly talks about the love of his life time for the Creator while expressing the preparation of the heart and body to fall in love with Him to live in His love and he advises his followers to be ready for the consequences of it. By simply reading it, picture of threats to be faced on this love -journey becomes clear, and Guru gives warning about those threats that could be inevitable in living in His love because this love for Him doesn't have any place for submissiveness to any other contrary thought, obviously living in His love is not that simple as it appears; in His love, the ultimate freedom of the mind takes birth and conflicts storm in because of fearless behavior of His lover. Let's read Guru Nanak's own words to understand the depth of falling in love: It is on 1412 SGGS, Mehla 1

ਜਉ ਤਉ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਖੇਲਣ ਕਾ ਚਾਉ ॥ ਸਿਰੁ ਧਰਿ ਤਲੀ ਗਲੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਆਉ ॥ ਇਤੁ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਪੈਰੁ ਧਰੀਜੈ ॥ ਸਿਰੁ ਦੀਜੈ ਕਾਣਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥੨੦॥

Ja▫o ṯa▫o parem kẖelaṇ kā cẖā▫o. Sir ḏẖar ṯalī galī merī ā▫o. Iṯ mārag pair ḏẖarījai. Sir ḏījai kāṇ na kījai. ||20||

In Essence: If you yearn to play this game of love [falling in love with the Creator] come to this way with readiness to eliminate "head/self" Once you set a foot on this path, be ready to die for it without any hesitation.

Path of loving the Creator is meant to live in His love, to do that, becoming detached from all dear and fine things for which the world boasts about, is necessary. If that path is chosen, no need to hesitate by thinking what people will say in this regard and no hesitation should be shown to deem everything as perishable but love of Akalpurakh. In His love when His Name Simran is done, it blooms the heart with bliss and helps the mind to drench in His love further deeper and deeper. Fruits of Naam Simran done by being in His love are amazing; who have that, can verify it.

Here is a glimpse of people's behavior towards those who truly fall in love with Him; we can imagine how people react towards this game of love, on 991 SGGS, Guru Nanak in Raag Maru

ਮਾਰੂ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥ ਕੋਈ ਆਖੈ ਭੂਤਨਾ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਬੇਤਾਲਾ ॥ ਕੋਈ ਆਖੈ ਆਦਮੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਵੇਚਾਰਾ ॥੧॥

Mārū mėhlā 1. Ko▫ī ākẖai bẖūṯnā ko kahai beṯālā. Ko▫ī ākẖai āḏmī Nānak vecẖārā. ||1||

Raag Maru, Bani of First Nanak. In Essence: Some say Nanak is like a ghost and some say he is a spirit, some say he is a poor thing [worth pity]

Some pass on their judgment of ignorance, some just react pitiful way; however, all fail to understand why one being in His love becomes different than the rest of the population.

ਬੇਤਾਲਾ = ਜਿੰਨ। ਵੇਚਾਰਾ = ਆਜਿਜ਼, ਨਿਮਾਣਾ ਜੇਹਾ।੧।

(ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਡੂੰਘੀਆਂ ਸਾਂਝਾਂ ਨਾਹ ਪਾਣ ਕਰ ਕੇ) ਕੋਈ ਆਖਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾਂ ਕੋਈ ਭੂਤ ਹੈ (ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਇਹ ਬੰਦਿਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਤ੍ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ) ਕੋਈ ਆਖਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੋਈ ਜਿੰਨ ਹੈ (ਜੋ ਬੰਦਿਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਪਰੇ ਪਰੇ ਜੂਹ-ਉਜਾੜ ਵਿਚ ਹੀ ਬਹੁਤਾ ਚਿਰ ਟਿਕਿਆ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ)। ਪਰ ਕੋਈ ਬੰਦਾ ਆਖਦਾ ਹੈ (ਨਹੀਂ) ਨਾਨਕ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ (ਸਾਡੇ ਵਰਗਾ) ਆਦਮੀ (ਹੀ) ਉਂਞ ਹੈ ਆਜਿਜ਼ ਜੇਹਾ।੧।

ਭਇਆ ਦਿਵਾਨਾ ਸਾਹ ਕਾ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਬਉਰਾਨਾ ॥ ਹਉ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Bẖa▫i▫ā ḏivānā sāh kā Nānak ba▫urānā. Ha▫o har bin avar na jānā. ||1|| rahā▫o.

In Essence: [Guru Nanak explains that they just don't know intensity of this love-game, so they judge him as they see him in His love] Nanak has become crazy in the love of his Master and he doesn't believe in any other than Akalpurakh

ਭਇਆ = ਹਉ ਭਇਆ, ਮੈਂ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹਾਂ। ਦਿਵਾਨਾ = ਮਸਤਾਨਾ, ਆਸ਼ਿਕ, ਪ੍ਰੇਮੀ। ਸਾਹ ਕਾ = ਸ਼ਾਹ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ (ਦੇ ਨਾਮ) ਦਾ। ਬਉਰਾਨਾ = ਝੱਲਾ, ਕਮਲਾ। ਹਉ = ਮੈਂ। ਨ ਜਾਨਾ = ਮੈਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਣਦਾ, ਮੈਂ ਡੂੰਘੀ ਸਾਂਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਂਦਾ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਮੈਂ ਸ਼ਾਹ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਆਸ਼ਿਕ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹਾਂ, ਮੈਂ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਨਾਲ ਡੂੰਘੀਆਂ ਸਾਂਝਾਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਂਦਾ, (ਇਸ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਆਖਦੀ ਹੈ ਕਿ) ਨਾਨਕ ਝੱਲਾ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

In this Shabada Guru Nanak further defines this love but it is very much clear from the above Vaakas that when one falls truly in love with the Creator, he or she doesn't get a normal behavior from the public, sometimes it angers other people as they don't get agreeable behavior from the ones who fall in love with Him.

Besides facing difficulty in living in His love, there are other dangers for example the society we live in, binds us to its beliefs and convictions regardless their failures in context of human freedom of living as per one's choice of "thought". It tries to melt the hearts of its members to follow it, if some choose otherwise, its retaliation is inevitable. The society or its governing body can punish those who refuse to submit. Guru prepares his followers for that. Saying no to prevailed beliefs loaded with its regime's power, could be a physical disaster for that person who only believes in living in His love. Sikhi fortifies solid strength in Sikhs to be ready for that and to die for this faith of loving Him and fearing from none but Him.

All who loved Akalpurakh and didn't care what others in power said, endured enormous sufferings. Sikhi infuses enough strength in Sikhs to face that and to pass through it victoriously.

If we look how His devotees express their love to Him, it is amazing to see their courage and determination. I am giving a Shabada of Bhagat Ravidas ji on 658 SGGS, the idea stated above is elaborated in beautiful way.

ਜਉ ਹਮ ਬਾਂਧੇ ਮੋਹ ਫਾਸ ਹਮ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਬਧਨਿ ਤੁਮ ਬਾਧੇ ॥ ਅਪਨੇ ਛੂਟਨ ਕੋ ਜਤਨੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਹਮ ਛੂਟੇ ਤੁਮ ਆਰਾਧੇ ॥੧॥

Ja▫o ham bāʼnḏẖe moh fās ham parem baḏẖan ṯum bāḏẖe. Apne cẖẖūtan ko jaṯan karahu ham cẖẖūte ṯum ārāḏẖe. ||1||

In Essence: [addressed to the Creator] As I was bound in worldly attachment, I have bound you with the bond of my love, I got free from worldly attachment by contemplating on you but how can you get out of my love?

Please look at the determined love harbored in the heart for Akalpurakh! It is amazing. This kind of love we need for Him. Even small temptation taints our love for Him but imagine if our love for Him was like of Bhagat Ravidas Ji! In the following Vaakas Bhagat Ravidas stresses on his unshakable love which will keep binding Akalpurakh.

ਮਾਧਵੇ ਜਾਨਤ ਹਹੁ ਜੈਸੀ ਤੈਸੀ ॥ ਅਬ ਕਹਾ ਕਰਹੁਗੇ ਐਸੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Māḏẖve jānaṯ hahu jaisī ṯaisī. Ab kahā karhuge aisī. ||1|| rahā▫o.

In Essence: Oh Prabh! What kind of love I have for you, it is known to you. What will you do with such kind of love [in a question it is expressed that obviously HE will not ignore it]? Pause

It is a direct talk with the Creator in which Bhagat Ravidas expresses that by being aware of his love for Him, Akalpurakh will not ignore his love; he further explains what kind of i that love for Prabh he harbors in his heart, please read on

ਮੀਨੁ ਪਕਰਿ ਫਾਂਕਿਓ ਅਰੁ ਕਾਟਿਓ ਰਾਂਧਿ ਕੀਓ ਬਹੁ ਬਾਨੀ ॥ ਖੰਡ ਖੰਡ ਕਰਿ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਕੀਨੋ ਤਊ ਨ ਬਿਸਰਿਓ ਪਾਨੀ ॥੨॥

Mīn pakar fāʼnki▫o ar kāti▫o rāʼnḏẖ kī▫o baho bānī. Kẖand kẖand kar bẖojan kīno ṯa▫ū na bisri▫o pānī. ||2||

In Essence:[ high gravity of love for Akalpurakh is expressed with an example of the fish and its bond with the water] As fish is caught, cut and cooked in many ways; however, when it is eaten bit by bit, it doesn't forget water because due to the eaten fish, the one who eats it, feels thirsty for more water.

It is a way of fortifying one's love for Akalpurakh, it is a way of expressing how deeply one gets attached to Him, and it is indeed very beautiful expression.

ਆਪਨ ਬਾਪੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਿਸੀ ਕੋ ਭਾਵਨ ਕੋ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਜਾ ॥ ਮੋਹ ਪਟਲ ਸਭੁ ਜਗਤੁ ਬਿਆਪਿਓ ਭਗਤ ਨਹੀ ਸੰਤਾਪਾ ॥੩॥

Āpan bāpai nāhī kisī ko bẖāvan ko har rājā. Moh patal sabẖ jagaṯ bi▫āpi▫o bẖagaṯ nahī sanṯāpā. ||3||

In Essence:{ Here Akalpurakh is addressed as "bonded in love" and doesn't belong to certain people] Akalpurakh is not some one's hereditary right, Prabh is bonded to love; as the world lacks that love, a curtain is cast over it but His devotees have no trouble like that. [because they don't have that curtain]

Nobody personally owns Akalpurakh because He belongs to all and through only sincere love, He gets bonded. Who do not have that kind of love that can bond Akalpurakh are destined to suffer; however, His devotees remain free from sufferings as their hearts are filled with His love.

ਕਹਿ ਰਵਿਦਾਸ ਭਗਤਿ ਇਕ ਬਾਢੀ ਅਬ ਇਹ ਕਾ ਸਿਉ ਕਹੀਐ ॥ ਜਾ ਕਾਰਨਿ ਹਮ ਤੁਮ ਆਰਾਧੇ ਸੋ ਦੁਖੁ ਅਜਹੂ ਸਹੀਐ ॥੪॥੨॥

Kahi Raviḏās bẖagaṯ ik bādẖī ab ih kā si▫o kahī▫ai. Jā kāran ham ṯum ārāḏẖe so ḏukẖ ajhū sahī▫ai. ||4||2||

In Essence: Ravidas says that he has strengthened His devotion, to whom should he tell? { it means it is not necessary to tell any one}. To avoid the pain [worldly] I have meditated on you, will I have to endure it even now [after being totally in your love]? [Through a question it is stated that there will be no such pain after having developed love for the creator]

In Raag Dhanasri on 668 SGGS, Fourth Nanak expresses his love for Prabh, please imagine this love and compare with the love we claim to have for Him

ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਰਹਿ ਨ ਸਕਉ ਇਕ ਰਾਤੀ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਬਿਨੁ ਅਮਲੈ ਅਮਲੀ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਈ ਹੈ ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਮ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਤੀ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Har bin rėh na saka▫o ik rāṯī. Ji▫o bin amlai amlī mar jā▫ī hai ṯi▫o har bin ham mar jāṯī. Rahā▫o.

In Essence: I cannot live without Akalpurakh for a second. Just as an opium-addict dies without opium, I die without His Name. {Pause}

It is the deep love that keeps the lover tied to the beloved Prabh. Guru Nanak in fact in the above quoted Vaakas reminds us about the intensity of this kind of love, and the need of readiness to do any sacrifice.

ਰਹਿ ਨ ਸਕਉ = ਰਹਿ ਨ ਸਕਉਂ, ਮੈਂ ਰਹਿ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਦਾ। ਰਾਤੀ = ਰੱਤੀ ਭਰ ਸਮੇ ਲਈ ਭੀ। ਅਮਲੀ = ਨਸ਼ਈ, ਨਸ਼ੇ ਦਾ ਆਦੀ ਮਨੁੱਖ। ਮਰਿ ਜਾਈ ਹੈ = ਮਰਨ ਲੱਗਦਾ ਹੈ, ਤੜਫ਼ ਉੱਠਦਾ ਹੈ।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਮੈਂ ਰਤਾ ਭਰ ਸਮੇ ਲਈ ਭੀ ਰਹਿ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਦਾ। ਜਿਵੇਂ (ਅਫ਼ੀਮ ਆਦਿਕ) ਨਸ਼ੇ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਅਮਲੀ (ਨਸ਼ੇ ਦਾ ਆਦੀ) ਮਨੁੱਖ ਤੜਫ਼ ਉੱਠਦਾ ਹੈ, ਤਿਵੇਂ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਮੈਂ ਘਬਰਾ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹਾਂ।ਰਹਾਉ।

It is not simple game to play, it needs readiness to sacrifice everything but it has fruits that cure us from pains and miseries. Who go for this kind of sincere love for Akalpurakh, enjoy those fruits otherwise fearful people who are not ready to play this game of love of life time, suffer certainly. Sikhi inspires us to be part of this love of life time.

IN Punjabi, interpretation is by Dr Sahib Singh Ji

G Singh

The above article has been taken from the blog, gursoch.blogspot.com Kindly refer to the blog for more such in-depth articles.