India

Guest Singh

Guest Singh

Recently, I have started to recognize the events that happened in 84. And now I am always troubled. I don't know what to even think anymore. I used to believe that India was my country, I used to boast about being proud to be an Indian but now I am just really confused on everything.

What should I do/think to allieviate my confusion?

I was in your exact situation 6.5 years ago. Remember, India is a country, a man-made entity that is bound between man-made borders, which was won from the British in 1947. Sikhi is directly from Akaal Purakh Vaheguru Ji, blessed to us by our Guru Sahibaan. As a Sikh, your first and foremost allegiance is only and only to your Guru. You are Vaheguru ji da Khalsa, you have been entrusted to Vaheguru ji. Your national anthem is Deh Shiva Bar Mohe Ihe. Your father of the nation is Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj. Having an Indian passport does not make you an Indian. Having "Singh/Kaur" as last name without the Sikhi saroop does not make you a Sikh either. In fact, mere Sikh appearance is also not enough.

No one is asking you to hate India or Indians. No one is asking you to do anything to harm them. A Sikh loves humanity, helps anyone in need, and prays for sarbat da bhala. At the same time, a Sikh always stands up against injustice done to any community, and if needed, sacrifices his/her life to uphold truth and righteousness. Be proud to be a Sikh first and foremost. You won't need any other label then. Be proud to be the son/daughter of Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj, you don't need to address anyone else as "bapu". Our flag is the Kesri Nishan Sahib. Yes you should respect and never hurt the feelings of your Indian friends/associates in anyway, in fact never hurt anyone at all whatsoever. At the same time, you should not remain silent if anyone says a single word against your distinct and unique Sikh identity, or tries to degrade Sikhi or the Sikh community in anyway.

1984 was a wake up call, which clarified for Sikhs what is their position in India. Some want us to forget it, but we never will. Some blame the politicians, and they are correct. Some blame the Sikhs, because they don't know the whole story.