General Advice Needed

Guest _singh_

Guest _singh_

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Just a quick question, How can I improve sitting cross legged for long periods of time? I ask this because I will be getting married next month, but I have a problem in sitting cross legged for long periods of time...Usually when I go gurdwara I can only sit for 20 mins max, then have to walk out to strectch my legs because they go sleep and then and come back in to join the sangat.....

It might sound a bit stupid, but I dont want to embarass myself on my anand karaj.....If iv offended anyone by asking such a stupid question I apoligise....

Any tips or ideas would be most welcome

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

start going everyday and try to sit for the full kirtan / katha. wiggle your toes for circulation. you'll find that you can sit much longer then. you need to push yourself past the initial discomfort and try to get absorbed in the bani. we can sit for a long time in langar hall b/c our minds are absorbed in eating, but it's harder upstairs b/c our manmukhi minds find it more difficult to become absorved in bani. you could also try some yoga classes to increase your flexibilty, and also start taking vitamin b12, which helps with oxygen uptake somehow, as 20 mins is a really short period of time. just let the b12 dissolve under your tongue.

you can download a full pdf on how to sit in full lotus from here: http://www.sikhawareness.com//index.php?showtopic=7210&st=15&gopid=114281entry114281

Guest _singh_

Wahaguru ji ka khalsa Wahaguru ji ki fateh

Thank you both for your replies.....very much appreicated

Wahaguru ji ka khalsa Wahaguru ji ki fateh

I don't think you would be sitting for 20 mins straight anyways. you stand for brief ardas and then couple of shabads, then lawan, then stand up, go around SGGSji and then so forth for 4 times and then another shabad and then anand sahib and then ardas again and then hukam vaak and then you are done anyways.

so you are sitting continuously for about 10-15min. only.

The only time people end up sitting for long is when rishtedar starts to do shagan thingie right there in the presence of SGGSji (which shouldn't be done there but taken to some other room or so, if one thinks its needed anyways).

So I don't think you have to worry.

Also, its human psychology that we get tired when made to sit to listen to keertan, but don't if we are watching movie (sometihng which interests to the mind) and your own wedding is going to be one of a kind experience and I think you would notice that it would pass pretty fast.

For me, it's more about how devoted I am to listening to kirtan, katha, or reading Gurbani. If I have barely any focus on Gurbani then after 45 minutes or so my legs start to hurt, but if I'm actually sitting there and dedicated toward listening or reading Gurbani then I can go for hours without moving an inch.

My advice, pick up a Gutka and start reading Gurbani. Control the mind and you won't feel a thing.