Vienna- What Really Happened?

Pyara

The Singhs could not have been taking responsibility for their actions in the hope of not being found guilty due to lack of evidence, and hence maintaining their freedom to carry on with seva.

This has happened in other contexts.

Fair comment.... I can see some soliciters may advise that approach. But the evidence was overwhelming anyway and they were caught at the scene. So to play "no comment" would only infuriate the Judge and Jury into ensuring a guilty verdict. As the Panth more or less disowned them, perhaps they received weak legal advice. I didn't hear of any collection going around for funds to provide legal support for these Singhs, there were several high profile Sikh conventions in UK/Europe from the point Ramanand was assinated to the time of the trial of the Singhs. The Singhs were never mentioned in any high profile panthic discussion over the last year or so.

Perhaps now then, the Panthic organisations need to make a decision on whether they support the actions of the Singhs and need to come forward and stand by them. Panthic organisations need to stop sitting on the fence, be clear cut on where they stand and now help these Singhs and their families.

My personal opinion is that the Singhs actioned what they thought was right at the time (perhaps I don't agree with what they actually did, but I can understand their mindset and their reaction) but they were then left to rot by the rest of us. They were given no advice, no guidance, no support and hence they ended up incorrectly portraying themselves.

Its travesty of justice that the 6 Sikhs, who have been accused of killing Swami Ramanand in Vienna, Austria are till date without effective defense. Another aspect which is also very alarming that the Vienna police has failed to identify the people who made the murderous assault on these youth and is only trying to charge these 6 people and not anyone from the side of the followers of Swami Ramanand.

From witness accounts and personal investigation it has come to light that the incident, which took place in Guru Ravi Dass Temple was triggered due the disrespect being shown by the organizers to Guru Granth Sahib and when some Sikhs who were present in the Temple exhibited their resentment, they were brutally beaten by

the followers of Swami Ramanand.

One of the 6 arrested Sikhs, namely Jaspal Singh has 2 bullet injuries in his head and is in precarious condition. Day before yesterday he has again been sent to the hospital, but he is still under detention.

Unanswered Questions

Why the Vienna police has not arrested anyone for the murderous attack on Jaspal Singh and others?

When more than 100 weapons were recovered from the Guru Ravi Dass Temple, which belonged to the followers of Swami Ramanand, then how come police has not charged even one of his followers for the crime?

As per the police, more than one fire arm and more than 15 shots were fired, by the persons who killed Swami Ramanand, whereas only one fire arm has been recovered, where is the other fire arm ?

May be that other fire arm belongs to the followers of Swami Ramanand?

May be the bullet which killed Swami Ramanand was fired from the fire arm possessed by his own followers?

It’s still a mystery that who fired at Swami Ramanand as the fire arm recovered from the site as per the information available does not have the finger prints of the arrested persons.

LFHRI HAS APPEALED TO INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS ORGS, LIKE, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL TO INTERVENE AND ENSURE THAT THE RIGHTS OF THE ARRESTED ARE PROTECTED.

NAVKIRAN SINGH

GENERAL SECRETARY

LAWYERS FOR HUMAN RIGHTS INTERNATIONAL

WWW.LFHRI.ORG

http://www.lfhri.org/index.php/campaigns/191-accused-of-killing-swami-ramanand-in-vienna-austria-are-till-date-without-effective-defense

Its travesty of justice that the 6 Sikhs, who have been accused of killing Swami Ramanand in Vienna, Austria are till date without effective defense.

It is sad to know that. I was of the view that Delhi Gurudwara president had announced that Delhi committee will take

care of all arrangements in defending them.

http://www.sikhsangat.org/2009/08/i-stand-by-my-statement-says-sarna/

Chandigarh, Punjab: Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee’s (DGMC) chief Paramjit Singh Sarna has dared the Punjab government to register a case against him for his reported statement on providing all legal assistance to the suspects in the case pertaining to the attack on leaders of the Ravi Dass sect in Vienna, Austria. Reiterating the stand of the DGMC, Sarna told The Tribune over the phone that there was no question of any change in the stand taken by him or the Delhi gurdwara body. “We will do our best to provide the Vienna case suspects all possible legal assistance as is possible,” he added.