More Problems For Canadian Sikhs

N30S1NGH

source: http://www.cbc.ca/ca...anjh-hayer.html

This is getting unbearable.. who are these people threatning mps?? We seriously need spokesman who represent all Canadian Sikh Community apointed by jathedars of takht sahib so they can condemn this id iot. I don't like comrad views of dosanjh and hayer on sikhi but threatening mps for attending nagar kirtan its ridiculous and shows true face of fascism should condemn at all levels. Besides, Our community cannot afford more negative media than there is already.

B.C. premier demands apology

source: http://www.cbc.ca/ca...anjh-hayer.html

B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell says he won't attend a Sikh parade in Surrey on Saturday unless there is a formal apology from organizers for a perceived threat against two other politicians.

"Unless there has been a direct apology to the two individuals that were mentioned ... I would find it difficult agreeing to go," Campbell said Friday.

An organizer of the annual Vaisakhi parade told a Punjabi radio station Thursday that Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanjh and B.C. Liberal MLA Dave Hayer were not invited to the event and were responsible for their own safety.

"They have never been invited," Inderjit Singh Bains said during an interview on Radio Sher-e Punjab "If they come, they need to bring their own security."

Organizers are denying that any threat was implied.

Both Dosanjh and Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts have lodged complaints with the RCMP about the comments.

The parade has a history of controversy because of its support for Sikh militants in India. Both Dosanjh and Hayer are Indo-Canadians who have distanced themselves from the militant movement.

Never attended parade: Dosanjh

Dosanjh said he has never been to the parade since he lives in Vancouver and only occasionally attends the yearly religious celebration there.

"I'm not very religious. So for the organizers to pick on someone like me and Dave Hayer out of the blue … and say if you come, your security is on your own … implies a certain degree of threat — that some violence may happen to you," Dosanjh told CBC Radio on Friday afternoon.

In 1985 Dosanjh, who was a lawyer at the time, was severely beaten for speaking out against militancy in the Indo-Canadian community.

Dave Hayer's father was a newspaper publisher who was shot dead in his garage in Surrey after he refused to be silenced in his criticisms of hard-line Sikh nationalists operating in Canada.

"It may in fact be a prompt for violence for people who hate me or dislike me," Dosanjh said. "I don't know if it's criminal or quasi-criminal. I felt out of concern that I should send it to the RCMP and I did."

Temple denies allegations

On Friday another parade organizer, Moninder Singh of the Dasmesh Darbar temple, said the matter was a misunderstanding and no threats had been made.

Parade organizer Moninder Singh says no threats have been made and the politicians are welcome. (Meera Bains/CBC)

"There is no invitation that's sent, so we can't really invite somebody to come, and if they show up there is nothing stopping them from attending," Singh said. "Technically at the end of the day, the RCMP and security services are all throughout the parade and they ensure the safety of everyone there, so those comments I think are taken out of context."

Singh said parade organizers don't condone violence and the politicians are welcome to come if they wish.

"We personally aren't going to provide any type of security for any MP or anybody that decides to come to the event," he said.

Controversy keeps politicians away

In years past the parade, which marks the Sikh new year, attracted a slew of political figures, including the premier, MPs and the mayor.

But in 2007 Liberal, Conservative and New Democrat politicians who attended the parade faced political embarrassment after a photo of alleged Air India bombing mastermind Talwinder Singh Parmar was displayed on a float.

At the time Dosanjh said police should investigate the incident. The following year Surrey officials sent letters to politicians warning them the parade would again include controversial images.

A 2008 Vaisakhi display in Surrey, B.C., includes images of two Sikh men who assassinated Indira Gandhi among photographs of men considered Sikh martyrs. (Meera Bains/CBC)

While Parmar's photo was not displayed on a parade float last year, organizers did set up a separate tent on the grounds of the Dasmesh Darbar temple for a controversial display that included photographs of the founders of the Babbar Khalsa and the International Sikh Youth Federation, groups Canada considers terrorist organizations.

Parade organizers have reportedly said that this year every float would include the flag of Khalistan and images of martyrs, said by their supporters to be heroes of the armed struggle by Sikh extremists to carve out an independent nation called Khalistan in the Indian state of Punjab.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

N30 singh ji

I agree they should not threaten anyone.It is against basics of sikhism.

But at the same time if some politician does not attend a nagar kirtan sikhs do not lose anything.

Let locals sort it out.We need not create sensation over this.

To my knowledge this was purposely aired by the host of the show 'Prof' Gurwinder Singh. This Gurwinder is a supportor of Darshan Laal and is looking for anyway to label the Khalsa Panth as extermist. This is only to cause more trouble for the Khalsa Panth

Singho don't buy into this cr*p.

If politicians don't come to the nagar Kirtan then the Khalsa Panth is losing nothing.

To threat a politician is completely wrong and childish. But this threat is load with an agenda to make the innoccent Khalsa Panth seen in a bad light.

Does anyone have information on this inderjit Singh bains guy?

What right does this man have to say someone is invited or not

The nagar Kirtan is open to the public and anyone can come and join in.

Khalsa ji, if anyone can shed some light on this guy who made these remarks then we can get a better picture of exactly why this was said?

Guest Bloom

In My Opinion,

The Way To Represent Sikhs Through Out The World Must Be Changed Now. Even 5-10 Years Ago, Loud Protests Etc Were Common Demanding Justice For Sikhs And A Sikh Homeland. Justice For Sikhs Must Still Be Center Stage! But Now, Articulate Intelligent RehatVaan Practicing Amritdhaaree Gursikhs Should Represent To All Media. The Proper Outlets Through Democratic Means Of Demands Should Be Shared Intelligently And Articulately.

Bringing A Good Name To Sikhs All Over The World Is Very Important. Guru Sahib Gave Us All The Tools. Bring The Pure Vegetarian Langar Of The Guru To The World. Bring The Raag Keertan Sung In Guru Jees Raags And Chands With Guru Jees Instruments By Guru Jees NishKhaam Gursikhs To The Whole World. Bring The Greatness Of True Khalsa Dharma (Which Of Course Includes Dhan Dhan Sri DasamGuruKaGranth Sahib Jee) To The Whole World. Share The Beauty Of Sri Amrit Sanchaars With The Whole World! The Way To Get Demands Of Sikhs Met Is To Get The Wider Population To View Gursikhs In Good Light. The Wider Populations Themselves Are Going To Fall In Love With True Khalsa Dharma.

Before The Thoughts Were Along The Lines That A Small Number Of People Have To Fight. Now It Should Be That Everyone Wants To Show The Whole World The Greatness Of True Khalsa Dharma. Automatically Khalsa Will Be Bestowed All Raaj. The Wider Populations Themselves Will Be Asking For True Genuine Amritdhaaree Gursikhs To Get Into Politics To Lead Their Countries With Gurmat Principles!

The Way Forward Is To Represent True Authentic Prem Khalsa Dharma To The Whole World Intelligently And Articulately. Get Involved In Media. Always Represent True Khalsa Dharma (Which Includes Ang Sang Sri Panj Kakaars Sahibs). When The Enemies Say Lies Etc., Tell The World The Truth. The Whole World Is Going To Fall In Love With True Khalsa Dharma. Bring The Pure Vegetarian Langar Of The Guru To The World. What To Speak Of India, Even Internationally Gursikhs Are Going To Be Loved Greatly! Authentic True Khalsa Dharma Aashikhs Practicing RehatVaan Singhs and Kaurs Should Get Into Politics. (Know This. The Greatest Enemy In Politics Are The Fake Sikhs. Non-Sikhs Will Be Kinder To Sikhs Than Fake Sikhs. Non-Sikhs Will Look Towards Genuine Equal Rights of Religion, Etc., But Fake Sikhs Will Attack Practicing Sikhs To Make Themselves Seem Unbias and They Will Take Out Their Hatred For Sikhi On Sikhs. There Is A Reason They Don't Follow True Sikhi Themselves! Get It ?!?! Fake Sikhs In Politics Are The Greatest Threat To Practicing Sikhs. RehatVaan Panj Kakaaree Amritdhaaree Genuine Gursikhs Should Get Into Politics With Gurmat Principles In Mind).

Dhan Dhan True Khalsa Dharma (Which Of Course Includes Dhan Dhan Sri DasamGuruKaGranth Sahib Jee and Ang Sang Sri Panj Kakaar Sahibs).

The Whole World Is Going To Fall In Love With True Khalsa Dharma.

Only five ji

I know a little bit about this fake professor. He was a teacher at elementary school school near malerkotla.After immigrating to canada he started writing as professor.

This person is also reporter of ajit India.He was cooking up stoires in favour of darshan lal and sending it to ajit.Finally many persons reported this to ajit

and his coverage got reduced.

You are right. He is doing it on purpose to malign sikhs.Shere Punjab radio is regualrily airing pro adrshan and anti sikh views.Is Darshan a khalistani.May be Gurwinder

can tell us.

Yes i agree. We should refrain from sending special invitation to politicians as it would defeat purpose of sangat, everyone is invited to sangat automatically as long certain principles are met- cover your head etc. But it boogles me, how we get ourselves in negative news all the time in the media. Its also worth noting that we are alost most disliked group/community within Canadian Community based on independent survey. Thanks to our incompetent pardans and our leaders who are not doing enough to represent sikh community positively. 

Yes i agree. We should refrain from sending special invitation to politicians as it would defeat purpose of sangat, everyone is invited to sangat automatically as long certain principles are met- cover your head etc. But it boogles me, how we get ourselves in negative news all the time in the media. Its also worth noting that we are alost most disliked group/community within Canadian Community based on independent survey. Thanks to our incompetent pardans and our leaders who are not doing enough to represent sikh community positively.

Singh all these events that put Sikhs in a bad light are not happening at random. These dusht of the Khalsa Panth are hell bent over giving the image to Amritdhari Singhs as terrorists.

For one second I don't trust Prof Gurwinder Singh. When the debate over Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji was happening over his talk show he would cut off Singhs that call to support Sri Dasam Granth Sahib ji. But how come he didn't cut this Inderjit Singh Bains guy off from making a threat. These guys are systematically getting Sikhs in trouble.

These trouble makers are right on the edge now. Only so much can be tolerated from them.