Maths Help Please!

Guest Maths dumbo

Guest Maths dumbo

wjkk wjkf

Would anybody at all pleeease explain/show me how to do this question? I dont get any part of it at all, it looks lke caveman writing to me!!!! Please explain it to me fully because it literally makes no sense, i have no basic understanding of gradients and radians, the words make me feel sick... eurghhhh lol oh waheguru! pleaseeeee anybody at all willing to help??? :'(

1) Find the slope (or gradient) of the straight line: 3 x + 4 y = 4

2) hence estimate the angle in radians which the line makes with the positive x-axis.

thank you!

wjkk wjkf

wjkk wjkf

Would anybody at all pleeease explain/show me how to do this question? I dont get any part of it at all, it looks lke caveman writing to me!!!! Please explain it to me fully because it literally makes no sense, i have no basic understanding of gradients and radians, the words make me feel sick... eurghhhh lol oh waheguru! pleaseeeee anybody at all willing to help??? :'(

1) Find the slope (or gradient) of the straight line: 3 x + 4 y = 4

2) hence estimate the angle in radians which the line makes with the positive x-axis.

thank you!

wjkk wjkf

Whenever you have an equation of the form ax+by=n (where a,b,n are any fixed numbers and x,y are the variables) you need to try to get it into the form y=mx+c by rearranging (where m,c are fixed numbers). Once it's in that stage, the number m gives you the gradient and the number c is the intersection with the y axis (i.e. at x=0).

So we have 3x+4y=4. We don't want a number in front of y, so divide by 4 on both sides, giving (3/4)x+y=1. (3/4 is 0.75 in decimals). Now we want to get just y on one side of the equation, so minus (3/4)x from both sides, giving y= (-3/4)x+1. So now we know the gradient is negative 3/4, or -0.75 in decimals.

Do you know how to find the angle in degrees? Once you know it in degrees, all you have to do is multiply it by (Pi/180) to give you the answer in radians. Finding the angle here requires a little care because the gradient of the line is negative, but you should start by drawing the graph, calculating the intersection with the x axis, then using the tan(gent) relation between opposite and adjacent sides of the triangle to calculate the angle.

Let me know if you need more help.

K.