If We Can Spare Time

A valuable post taken from a blog : http://gursoch.blogspot.com

Let's sit with Guru Nanak Dev ji, I know you are busy; you have hardly any time to talk about this now just as when time comes to brush teeth, a sudden hurry envelops the mind and it is done quickly. I know that, and I have been there so don't feel bad about it. I was kept away from Guru by storms of communist thoughts and hyper rationality. Erich Fromm, a thinker and psychologist, gave me a jolt about communist thought and its application in context of freedom of mind, he actually helped me in analyzing his own work critically, and the study of mind- psychology in context of hypnotherapy of Dr Franz .A. Mesmer and Dr. Milton Erickson put a dent in my fanatic rationality I used to gloat on. Still science is unable to prove anything about limits of the mind with evidence. That is why to question each other's beliefs based on different researches on the mind, is a fair game. The closed doors deprive you of many beautiful things existing out there.

The landscapes of beautiful words created by many thinkers couldn't satisfy me, after all we need to see the bottom of the words because words change colors in various contexts especially when they come close to the reality or go beyond it. Just be with me I am just sharing with you my "wandering- around-journey". So I went back to Guru Nanak, this time, it was a very different experience. First time, I could see Guru Nanak and Tenth Nanak standing on the same spot because before their portraits were differently presented to me by our so called Sikh-scholars[ As you know floating on the top never let us know what is there underneath]. I strongly believe that the born-blind has no imagination of light. Anyone interested in understanding Guru Gobind Singh, study Gurbani in depth, you will know him better than ever.

Going back to our glorious Guru, I must stress that Guru Nanak Dev ji neither binds his followers with fanatic-rationality nor keeps them in the darkness of blind faith layered with beliefs or social prevailed practices put in the mind with many ways. So we, as Sikhs, need to grab the opportunity to learn from Guru Ji even if we are busy. Please come with me, give your soul a few precious moments to hear what Guru Ji says in context of becoming true devotees of the Creator which is very much difficult though. You will be surprised if you don't know, Guru ji also agrees with this fact that people just cannot get time out of their entanglements, so there are not many who fall for the Creator. Here is his Sloka in "slok Varan ton Vadheek, Mehla 1, 1410 SGGS

ਹੈਨਿ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਘਣੇ ਫੈਲ ਫਕੜੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥੧੨॥ Hain virle nāhī gẖaṇe fail fakaṛ sansār. ||12||

In Essence: There are a few not many who are His devotees otherwise the world is into show off.

Let's for a moment ask ourselves to what category we fall in? Are we one of a few or one of the crowd amusing in show off? Sincere answer of this may help us to tread on Guru Path with real sincerity.

Like you I have witnessed a storm of negativity and avalanche of anxiety triggered by failures, deceptions and uncontrollable circumstances. Guru talks about that too, it is a matter of time when the mind learns about the reality of experiencing Him and the wall that blocks other sources of knowledge. Let's be open and understand what Guru asks us in this regard too, to set up a parameter of the goal of uniting with our origin---The Creator. If that is done and a journey is started as directed by Guru, stability of the mind becomes certain. On 520 SGGS, Fifth Nanak says

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ੫ ॥ ਬਾਰਿ ਵਿਡਾਨੜੈ ਹੁੰਮਸ ਧੁੰਮਸ ਕੂਕਾ ਪਈਆ ਰਾਹੀ ॥ ਤਉ ਸਹ ਸੇਤੀ ਲਗੜੀ ਡੋਰੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਅਨਦ ਸੇਤੀ ਬਨੁ ਗਾਹੀ ॥੧॥

Salok mėhlā 5. Bār vidānṛai hummas ḏẖummas kūkā pa▫ī▫ā rāhī. Ŧa▫o sah seṯī lagṛī dorī Nānak anaḏ seṯī ban gāhī. ||1||

In Essence: In this strange world (temporary), the paths are interrupted with tumult and confusion but oh my Master! Nanak's heart is attached to you and is passing through this jungle joyfully.

ਬਾਰਿ ਵਿਡਾਨੜੈ = ਬਿਗਾਨੀ ਜੂਹ ਵਿਚ, ਸੰਸਾਰ-ਰੂਪ ਬਿਗਾਨੀ ਜੂਹ ਵਿਚ ਜਿਥੇ ਹਰੇਕ ਜੀਵ ਥੋੜ੍ਹੇ ਜਿਹੇ ਸਮੇ ਲਈ ਮੁਸਾਫ਼ਿਰ ਬਣ ਕੇ ਆਇਆ ਹੈ। ਹੁੰਮਸ = {ਸੰ: 'ਹੁਤ-ਵਹ' = ਅੱਗ, ਪ੍ਰ: 'ਹੁਅ-ਵਹ', 'ਹੁੱਵਹ'; ਪੰ: 'ਹੁੰਮ੍ਹ੍ਹ'} ਅੱਗ ਦਾ ਸੇਕ। ਕੂਕਾ = ਵਾਹਰਾਂ, ਦੁਹਾਈ। ਸਹ = ਹੇ ਸ਼ਹੁ! ਤਉ ਸੇਤੀ = ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਲ। ਬਨੁ ਗਾਹੀ = ਮੈਂ (ਸੰਸਾਰ) ਜੰਗਲ ਗਾਹ ਰਿਹਾ ਹਾਂ।੧।

(ਜਗਤ-ਰੂਪ ਇਸ) ਬਿਗਾਨੀ ਜੂਹ ਵਿਚ (ਫਸ ਜਾਣ ਕਰਕੇ, ਤੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨਾ ਦੀ) ਅੱਗ ਦੇ ਬੜੇ ਸੇਕ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ ਰਾਹਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਵਾਹਰਾਂ ਪੈ ਰਹੀਆਂ ਹਨ (ਭਾਵ, ਜੀਵ ਘਬਰਾਏ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ) ਪਰ, ਹੇ ਪਤੀ (ਪ੍ਰਭੂ)! ਮੈਂ ਨਾਨਕ (ਦੇ ਚਿੱਤ) ਦੀ ਡੋਰ ਤੇਰੇ (ਚਰਨਾਂ) ਨਾਲ ਲੱਗੀ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ, (ਇਸ ਵਾਸਤੇ) ਮੈਂ ਆਨੰਦ ਨਾਲ (ਇਸ ਸੰਸਾਰ) ਜੰਗਲ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਦੀ ਲੰਘ ਰਿਹਾ ਹਾਂ।੧।

Are you with me listening to Guru? Do you see how powerful is to be in love with Him? Please note it down, it is not just a statement but a display of experience, First Nanak suggests about this miracle on 1410 SGGS

ਝੜ ਝਖੜ ਓਹਾੜ ਲਹਰੀ ਵਹਨਿ ਲਖੇਸਰੀ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਿਉ ਆਲਾਇ ਬੇੜੇ ਡੁਬਣਿ ਨਾਹਿ ਭਉ ॥੪॥

Jẖaṛ jẖakẖaṛ ohāṛ lahrī vahan lakẖesarī. Saṯgur si▫o ālā▫e beṛe dubaṇ nāhi bẖa▫o. ||4||

In Essence: There are continuous rain, storms, floods and millions of surging waves (of various kinds like sorrows, failures and anxieties and urges), call on True Guru, there will be then no fear of downing the boat of life in them.

Guru Ji shares his experience with us, to have that experience, following the Guru with utter honesty is mandatory [do not drag your own wisdom into what Guru says, leave it aside for a moment then the learning that takes places, will open the eyes in wonder!], and then the path of falling in love with the Creator, becomes easier. Guru leads only to Him that is why only he becomes His ultimate medium for the ultimate union with Him. Why to put the mind on the fire of anxieties when there is another solution to get over it? Guru Ji states that on 522 SGGS Slok Fifth Nanak

ਮਃ ੫ ॥

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਭੇਟਿਐ ਪੂਰੀ ਹੋਵੈ ਜੁਗਤਿ ॥ ਹਸੰਦਿਆ ਖੇਲੰਦਿਆ ਪੈਨੰਦਿਆ ਖਾਵੰਦਿਆ ਵਿਚੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ॥੨॥

Mėhlā 5. Nānak saṯgur bẖeti▫ai pūrī hovai jugaṯ. Hasanḏi▫ā kẖelanḏi▫ā painanḏi▫ā kẖāvanḏi▫ā vicẖe hovai mukaṯ. ||2||

In Essence: Nanak says that if True Guru is met, the perfect way of living is realized and thus one gets liberated while being into laughing, playing, dressing and eating.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ = (ਅਧਿਕਰਣ ਕਾਰਕ, ਇਕ-ਵਚਨ)। ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਭੇਟਿਐ = (ਪੂਰਬ ਪੂਰਨ ਕਾਰਦੰਤਕ, Locative Absolute) ਜੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਿਲ ਪਏ। ਜੁਗਤਿ = ਜੀਊਣ ਦੀ ਜਾਚ, ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਗੁਜ਼ਾਰਨ ਦਾ ਤਰੀਕਾ। ਪੂਰੀ = ਮੁਕੰਮਲ, ਜਿਸ ਵਿਚ ਕੋਈ ਉਕਾਈ ਨਾਹ ਰਹਿ ਜਾਏ। ਵਿਚੇ = ਮਾਇਆ ਵਿਚ ਵਰਤਦਿਆਂ ਹੀ। ਮੁਕਤਿ = ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਬੰਧਨਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਆਜ਼ਾਦੀ।੨।

ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਜੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਮਿਲ ਪਏ ਤਾਂ ਜੀਊਣ ਦੀ ਠੀਕ ਜਾਚ ਆ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਤੇ ਹੱਸਦਿਆਂ ਖੇਡਦਿਆਂ ਖਾਂਦਿਆਂ ਪਹਿਨਦਿਆਂ (ਭਾਵ, ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਕੰਮ ਕਾਰ ਕਰਦਿਆਂ) ਮਾਇਆ ਵਿਚ ਵਰਤਿਆਂ ਹੀ ਕਾਮਾਦਿਕ ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਬਚੇ ਰਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ।੨।

You see Guru ji never says to abandon the world or anything normal which is a part of life; Guru wants our sincere attention, as stated in the above previous Sloka that this dreadful world - forest cannot take away the joy of the heart triggered by His love. So keep your worldly assignments, family and friends but please enshrine His love in the heart by eradicating self conceit totally, then there will be a big change in dealing with everything. Negative imprints of the mind will be reframed as positive ones, other things like fear and anxiety will be eradicated in obeying His Ordinance. This occurs if conceit ceases to exist. In that realm, the death starts conveying positive hints of His beautiful "call" instead of fear, after all no one dies, it is the only body that is worn out, and it is also very natural process, on 885 SGGS Fifth Nanak

ਕਉਨੁ ਮੂਆ ਰੇ ਕਉਨੁ ਮੂਆ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਮਿਲਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ਇਹੁ ਤਉ ਚਲਤੁ ਭਇਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Ka▫un mū▫ā re ka▫un mū▫ā. Barahm gi▫ānī mil karahu bīcẖārā ih ṯa▫o cẖalaṯ bẖa▫i▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.

In Essence: Who has died? No one has died; actually it is just a show, deliberate about it with that person who has realized Braham (the Creator)

ਰੇ = ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਕਉਨੁ ਮੂਆ = (ਅਸਲ ਵਿਚ) ਕੋਈ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਮਰਦਾ। ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ = ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲ ਡੂੰਘੀ ਸਾਂਝ ਪਾਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਮਨੁੱਖ, ਗੁਰਮੁਖ, ਗੁਰੂ। ਮਿਲਿ = ਮਿਲ ਕੇ। ਤਉ = ਤਾਂ। ਚਲਤੁ = ਖੇਡ, ਤਮਾਸ਼ਾ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! (ਅਸਲ ਵਿਚ) ਕੋਈ ਭੀ ਜੀਵਾਤਮਾ ਮਰਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ, ਇਹ ਪੱਕੀ ਗੱਲ ਹੈ। ਜੇਹੜਾ ਕੋਈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲ ਡੂੰਘੀ ਸਾਂਝ ਪਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਮਿਲ ਕੇ (ਬੇ-ਸ਼ੱਕ) ਵਿਚਾਰ ਕਰ ਲਵੋ, (ਜੰਮਣ ਮਰਨ ਵਾਲੀ ਤਾਂ) ਇਹ ਇਕ ਖੇਡ ਬਣੀ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

Shouldn't we toss off all kinds of fears? It can be done by falling in love with Him through Guru by cementing the faith in His power and infinity; Guru helps in getting rid of conceit of the mind. It occurs if the mind is allowed to listen to Guru in full faith. As there is a saying that to succeed, consult the master, Guru is the master who has the experience of realizing Him, Guru fortifies this idea too on 1410 SGGS, Mehla 1

ਜੇ ਤੂੰ ਤਾਰੂ ਪਾਣਿ ਤਾਹੂ ਪੁਛੁ ਤਿੜੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕਲ ॥ ਤਾਹੂ ਖਰੇ ਸੁਜਾਣ ਵੰਞਾ ਏਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਕਪਰੀ ॥੩॥

Je ṯūʼn ṯārū pāṇ ṯāhū pucẖẖ ṯiṛĥaʼn▫nĥ kal. Ŧāhū kẖare sujāṇ vañā enĥī kaprī. ||3||

In Essence: If there is wish to swim across the water, those should be consulted who have art of it. Only those are the wise ones who swim across, I can also swim across these whirl-pools along with such wise persons. {Hint is about the company of Saints}

ਪਾਣਿ = ਪਾਣੀ। ਤਾਰੂ ਪਾਣਿ = ਪਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਤਾਰੂ (ਬਣਨਾ ਚਾਹੇਂ)। ਤਾਹੂ = ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ। ਕਲ = ਕਲਾ, ਹੁਨਰ, ਜਾਚ। ਤਿੜੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕਲ = ਤਰਨ ਦਾ ਹੁਨਰ, ਤਰਨ ਦੀ ਜਾਚ। ਤਾਹੂ = ਉਹ (ਮਨੁੱਖ) ਹੀ। ਖਰੇ ਸੁਜਾਣ = ਅਸਲ ਸਿਆਣੇ। ਏਨੀ ਕਪਰੀ = ਏਨੀ ਕਪਰੀਂ, ਇਹਨਾਂ ਲਹਿਰਾਂ ਵਿਚੋਂ। ਵੰਞਾ = ਵੰਞਾਂ, ਮੈਂ ਲੰਘਦਾ ਹਾਂ, ਮੈਂ ਲੰਘ ਸਕਦਾ ਹਾਂ।੩।

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਜੇ ਤੂੰ (ਸੰਸਾਰ-ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਦੇ) ਪਾਣੀਆਂ ਦਾ ਤਾਰੂ (ਬਣਨਾ ਚਾਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈਂ), (ਤਾਂ ਤਰਨ ਦੀ ਜਾਚ) ਉਹਨਾਂ ਪਾਸੋਂ ਪੁੱਛ (ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਇਸ ਸੰਸਾਰ-ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਵਿਚੋਂ) ਪਾਰ ਲੰਘਣ ਦੀ ਜਾਚ ਹੈ। ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਹੀ ਅਸਲ ਸਿਆਣੇ (ਤਾਰੂ ਹਨ, ਜੋ ਸੰਸਾਰ-ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਦੀਆਂ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਦੀਆਂ ਲਹਿਰਾਂ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਪਾਰ ਲੰਘਦੇ ਹਨ)। ਮੈਂ (ਭੀ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਹੀ) ਇਹਨਾਂ ਲਹਿਰਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਪਾਰ ਲੰਘ ਸਕਦਾ ਹਾਂ।੩।

Do you feel like me to listen and follow Guru now? Please do. Now let's follow the path as Guru directs, it is a fact that even being close to Almighty, we choose to stay away from Him by following the mind-games stated in the following Guru Vaakas, Guru advises to abandon that kind of behavior that fits well in these games, on 1255 SGGS in Milar Mehla-1

ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਮਲਾਰ ॥ ਪਰ ਦਾਰਾ ਪਰ ਧਨੁ ਪਰ ਲੋਭਾ ਹਉਮੈ ਬਿਖੈ ਬਿਕਾਰ ॥ ਦੁਸਟ ਭਾਉ ਤਜਿ ਨਿੰਦ ਪਰਾਈ ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਚੰਡਾਰ ॥੧॥

Mėhlā 1 malār. Par ḏārā par ḏẖan par lobẖā ha▫umai bikẖai bikār. Ḏusat bẖā▫o ṯaj ninḏ parā▫ī kām kroḏẖ cẖandār. ||1||

In Essence: (to be worthy of Almighty) Who lives according to Guru-Guidance, gives up bad intentions and longings like getting attractive to other's wives, wealth, avarice, self-conceit and bad inclinations(vice), bad intentions, slandering of others, lust and anger.

Here is the essence of a life of a Gurmukh who doesn't have longing for others wives, wealth and who rises above greed, conceit and vice. Gurmukh abandons slandering of others, lust and anger because that is the advice Guru passes on. Then whatever comes into the mind in a negative color, it is painted over with Guru Teachings. Interestingly when mind falls in love with Akalpurakh, Love of His Name rules the mind and consequently it doesn't embrace lust, greed, anger and conceit any way. The ruling- urges for this stuff, are unseated in His love. If the mind is still in control instead, Guru is not listened to; and then the love for the Creator within, doesn't blossom at all. Deceiving others is a worse act but self deception is equal to a suicide.

All above Guru Vakaas state about abandoning bad habits to realize Akalpurakh, Guru Instructions are very precious because with the help of them we reach to a state of mind where He is envisioned within; just ponder over what Guru says in the following Guru Vakas in this context

ਮਹਲ ਮਹਿ ਬੈਠੇ ਅਗਮ ਅਪਾਰ ॥ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸੋਈ ਜਨੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਰਤਨੁ ਆਚਾਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Mahal mėh baiṯẖe agam apār. Bẖīṯar amriṯ so▫ī jan pāvai jis gur kā sabaḏ raṯan ācẖār. ||1|| rahā▫o.

In Essence: Within resides the Inaccessible and Infinite Almighty, only those obtain His Nectarous Presence within, who are holding to Guru-Shabad- jewel and live according to it (Pause)

As advised in previous Vaakas above, lust, greed, anger, conceit and bad intentions must be abandoned and these should be replaced with Guru Teachings, in other words Guru Teachings should steer the mind instead of other influences. If it is done with sincerity, then the presence of Akalpurakh, who is Inaccessible and infinite, is envisioned within. Otherwise sticking to these things that create negativity within, there is no chance of beholding Him within and out side regardless of one's meditation and singing the praises of Akalpurakh. In this regard what more clarity a Sikh needs from Guru?

As "within resides the Infinite Prabh" advice continues to realize Him, Guru defines the behavior that must be developed while pursuing a path of uniting with Akalpurakh.

Continues

Partial interpretation in Punjabi is by Dr Sahib Singh Ji

From "Guru Message" under publication

By: G Singh

P.S. The above post has been copied with permission from the blog http://gursoch.blogspot.com

Kindly refer to the blog for more insights and in depth analysis, through Vaaks from Gurbaani explained by G.Singh Ji.

Wjkk Wjkf

A benti Phenjeo - since not all members of Sangat get to check updates regularly, it would be nice if you can keep us posted with any new inspirational material you come across. aww.gif

Fateh Veerji, shall surely post whenever I come across good stuff like this article ji!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...