Tying Dastar

Guest Kaur10

Guest Kaur10

it's been about a six months now and i've been learning to tie a dastar, thing is i'm getting no where :(

i just don't seem to get the hang of it, it doesn't even look a dastar when on my head.

i've been getting some feeling in my heart for ages now that i should wear one. i'm dreaming about wearing one , every night when i go to sleep, it's just not becoming a reality.

i even feel that i look ugly and it doesn't suit me. :(

i'm not amritdhari yet but do all my bani 's daily and keep full rehit with Maharaj's kirpa. i just want to learn how to tie a dastar before i take amrit, the only thing left. i'm feeling very low and don't know want to do but i want to be Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Daughter, i really want a crown on my head,i want to make my Sacha Father proud .

i just don't even know if i'm worthy of wearing one right now with an attitude like mine, because deep down i know Guru Gobind Singh Ji's daughter would never give up, she wouldn't care if the whole world laughed in her face, she would stand tall, stand proud because who cares what the world thinks aslong as you have Maharaj's acceptance , no other humanly acceptance comes close .

So why am i moaning? why am i even writing this? Maybe i'm all talk.

there are dastar tying vids on sikhnet and on youtube.

i recommend you start off simple, just try tying a simple round dastaar. i would focus first on having it feel proper, snug but not too tight. after you get the hang of that, then start making it look nicer. to make it snug, take the folded larr, pull it till it's straight and has just a bit of tension, then wrap that around your head. this way it will fit snug. i find doing simran as i tie it makes it much easier.

Guest Guest

Get someone who already wears a Dastar in a style you like to help you. It can be difficult to do it on your own. It takes alot of people much longer than just a few months to work out how to tie a decent Dastar, and as a girl who is probably more self conscious about making sure it is neat, it may take a bit longer.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

KK SIS I WAS IN THE SAME SITUATION AND HERES WHAT HELPED

IVE BEEN WEARING A DASTAR SINCE SEPT AND IVE HAD DAYS WHERE I CRIED AND MISSED SCHOOL BECAUSE MY DASTAR WOULD NOT BE TIED

FAMILY GAVE TROUBLE

GOT LATE FOR STUFF

EVEN IN THE SCHOOL BATHROOM HIDING AND CRYING CAUSE I COULD NOT GET MY PAGH TIED ON TIME

IVE GOTTEN SO LATE AND EVEN HAD TO TURN BACK BUT U KNOW WHAT IT WAS WORTH IT

I LOVE MY DASTAR AND CAN'T LIVE WITH OUT IT

I TOOK AMRIT APRIL 2009

BUT THE DASTAR STARTED IN SEPT AND IVE NEVER FELT AS MUCH AS I BELONG TO GURU JI TILL I WORE A DASTAR REALLY

IT IS OUR CROWN AND IT IS JUST AS NECCESARY FOR GIRLS AS IT IS FOR BOYS

AND DONT LET ANYONE INCLUDIN FAMILY TELL U OTHERWISE

SO HERE IS WHAT I LEARNED

1) DONT DO UR JOORA IN THE MIDDLE OR BACK OF UR HEAD- THIS IS A BIGGIE- THIS WAS MY BIGGEST HINDERENCE BECAUSE A JOORA IN THE MIDDLE IS HARD TO COVER AND STICKS OUT AND HINDERS THE PAGH BUT A JOORA AT THE FRONT OF YOUR HEAD HELPS BUILD SHAPE , IF U MUST PUT A RUBBER BAND ON UR JOORA OR DO IT LIKE A BOY- I TIE A PATKA (JUST LIKE A BANDANA) OVER MY JOORA AND WRAP THE ENDS AROUND THE BUN TO SECURE IT BUT A SCRUNCHIE WILL DO THE SAME THIS WAY IT DOESNT MOVE/ DONT MAKE IT TOO TIGHT AND USE THIS JOORA TO BUILD UR PAGH AND GIVE IT SHAPE AS U WRAP THE PAGH AROUND

2) ALWAYS FOLD UR PAGH- IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE BECAUSE I USED TO HAVE PIECED OF LAR STICKING OUT AND IT DIDNT LOOK GOOD

3) PRACTICE AT HOME AND HAVE ONE QUICKIE STYLE WEN UR ON THE RUN

4) SIMRAN
:)
THIS SHOULD BE ONE - AND ARDAS - AND REMEMBER U HAVE TO LOOK LIKE U BELONG TO MATA SAHIB KAUR AND GURU GOBIND SINGH - A SIKH IS NOT A HUMAN BEING- TYING THE DASTAR EACH DAY REMINDS US OF OUR LOVE AND COMITMENT TO THIS PATH

5)DONT COVER HALD YOUR FOREHEAD- THIS USUALLY DOESNT LOOK GOOD ON GIRLS UNLESS U HAVE A REALLY SKINNY FACE THAN IT WILL LOOK AMAZING

5) KK ONE TROUBLE SPOT IS WHAT TO DO WITH THE FORHEAD THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS

- THE EASIEST IS A CIRCLE OR USE THE BUN TO MAKE IT SLIGHTLY POINTED AND GIVE IT SHAPE

- ANOTHER EASIER WAY IS ULL PROLLY HAVE A TRIANGLE ON UR FOREHEAD BUT NOT NOW HOW TO MAKE IT EVEN SO HERES WHAT U DO JUST HAVE TWO TRIANGLE FLAPS AND COVER THE MEETING POINT WITH ONE FLAP ACROSS UR FOREHEAD AND THIS LOOKS GOOD LIKE A DUMAALA- LOOK AT PHOTOS ONLINE AND STEAL STYLES - DAY BY DAY IT GETS EASIER ESP IF U DO IT A FEW TIMES A DAY

WHERE ARE U ? IM IN NEW YORK

PM ME IF U NEED ANY MORE HELP AND BEST OF LUCK MAHARAJ KIRPA KARAY

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

OOO WAHEGURU JI - ONE LAST THING

KK SO MAKE SURE U COVER UR HEAD WITH THE PAGH FIRST NOT LAST

SO TAKE THE EAND OF UR PAGH AND FOLD IT

MAKE A THICK COVER FOR UR HEAD AND THAN WRAP THE STRANDS AROUND UR HEAD USING UR JOORA AS A SUPPORT TO GIVE SHAPE AND STRUCTURE

MAKE SURE THE PAGH IS NOT TOO BIG - AND IF IT IS TWO SMALL USE THE SMALLER FOR SHAPE AS A KESKI AND THE OTHER ONE AS AN OVER TURBAN - I USE 1/4 DADS PAGH FOR KESKI AND 1/4 FOR OVER PAGH BUT IN THE BEG I USED A PATKA AND 1/4 BOTH WAYS ARE GOOD

AND ONCE AGAIN PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

A CHUNNI WORKS A GOOD UNDER TURBAN TOO

GOOD LUCK

FATEH GGGGG MAHRAJ BAKSHAY :):) WAHEGURU WAHEGURU WAHEGURU