Learning Nitnem Off By Heart

Guest Akal

Waheguru Je Ka Khalsa , Waheguru Je Ki Fateh!!

I would love to learn nitnem off by heart , just wondering if sangat ji got any tips or advice on how to do it. I 'm thinking of learing a pauri every week , but any other methods sangat ji knows that can help in memorizing Gurbani off by heart other then major Kirpa .

Waheguru Je Ka Khalsa , Waheguru Je Ki Fateh!!

The way I'm learning is through repetition..

I *almost* know my entire Nitnem off by heart, to get this far I've gone from reading from Gukta/Pothi Sahib, to listening to the Bani and reciting alongside..

There's no easy way to do it.. just start the process however you feel right paaji and watch the magic happen!!

Gurfateh!

add an extra 5 to 10 of that particualar bani that your trying to learn off by heart, to your normal nitnem, e.g an extra 5 jaap sahibs.

and do ardaas benti

Lean the FIRST word or each 'line' in order. For example:

sochai soch n hovee jae sochee lakh vaar ||

chupai chup n hovee jae laae rehaa liv thaar ||

bhukhiaa bhukh n outharee jae ba(n)naa pureeaa bhaar ||

sehas siaanapaa lakh hohi th eik n chalai naal ||

kiv sachiaaraa hoeeai kiv koorrai thuttai paal ||

hukam rajaaee chalanaa naanak likhiaa naal ||1||

would be (learnt in order):

sochai chupai bhukhiaa sehas kiv hukam

Just another technique..

you could read the bani slowly, for example read one pauri then stop and read it again and think about it...read its english translation if available so u wud know wat it means too...just another way i think may be useful :)

Good Luckk! WJKK WJKF

waheguru ji ka khalsa!! waheguru ji ki fateh!! =D

i think that learning the NITNEM is very hard of by heart!

i think you should do it properly with holding a gutke!

i think also you should do it right then doing it wrong!

waheguru ji ka khalsa!! waheguru ji ki fateh!! =D

learning nitnem off by heart is must! all puratan singhs and singhniya had to learn nitnem off by heart because there may come a time when u cant get hold of a gutka sahib and then what will u do?not to nitnem

what if one day u r fighting jang and its been day and nite-u can read nitnem whilst fighting

of course having darshan of a gutka sahib is very important cos ur having darshan of Guroo Sahib

of course learning nitnem off by heart is hard but isnt everything worthwhile in life hard?

good luck!

Although it is hard to learn bani by heart, it is an absolute MUST to do so, so please make the effort and learn as much bani as possible.

when you do nitname, you need to get to a stage where you sit on the floor, close your eyes and recite the bani in your mind, then you

are actually getting some where.

If you are reciting by gutka, which is admirable, but you cannot get the 'link', you are in the process of reading and you are not focused,

and you need to be in a state where the bani is being recited in your mind and your mind is focused totally on the bani. Then after a long

time you will find that the bani starts to be recited without any effort, it just starts to flow and your mind feels as if it is starting to float off

(not that I am at this stage at all, but that is where we need to progress to)