Getting Used To The Gazes

marcinat

10 members have voted

1. 1. For Sikh females: Do you keep all your body hair?

• Yes, always have
    • Yes, but haven
    • No, but I used to
    • No

From my blog: http://back2sikhi.blogspot.com/2010/02/getting-used-to-gazes.html. Please comment on what you think - what are some challenges to keeping hair in the West? Benefits? Why do we do it?

When people ask me about my long hair, I tell them that I have never cut it because of my religion.

That is true about the hair on my head, but not about the hair elsewhere on my body. That is - I have shaved, waxed, and threaded. Does this make me a bad person?

I am not sure. Clearly, 98% of the rest of "my world" - particularly the females - remove their body hair. And most of these people are not, necessarily, "bad".

Do I feel guilty about it? To be honest - not really. It was something I went through to fit in. But my actions were still in line with Sikhi: nam japna, vand chakna, kirt karni.

About 2 years ago, after much meditation, I slowly stopped these hair-removing processes. It wasn't something that I woke up and immediately decided. It just kind of happened. And with Guru's grace, I have been entirely okay with it.

The only thing that has taken some getting used to is the stares. I generally keep my body covered, but I also like to swim. My swimming suit, if you will, involves shorts and a t-shirt. A lot of people - especially women - stare at my legs. It's as though they are willing me to feel bad about my choice to keep my hair.

Yet I do not give in to their desire to make me feel ashamed. I actually find my choice liberating and motivating, not to mention economical. Sikhs are supposed to be leaders - leaders do not care about what other people think when they know what they are doing in their heart is right. I am also saving money on these "cosmetic supplies" - money that adds up when you notice that the "treatments" are lifelong. Is there a reason that our hair keeps growing back no matter how much we try to stop it? Why not give in to the way Waheguru has made our bodies?

The most exciting part about this, however, is the opportunities it brings up to educate my brothers and sisters. When I catch people, especially children, staring at me, I look back and smile. If these people ask me questions, I have this golden chance to explain to people that I am a Sikh, and talk about the basic principles of our religion.

Several years ago, when I did shave my legs, I did not have this confidence. Now, ironically, when I am subject to public scrutiny, I do believe - in myself, in humanity, in Waheguru.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh. Thanks for reading and the welcome, pjs. I look forward to having more discussion on this topic and others!

What do you think are some of the challenges of keeping hair in this world? Can you think of any benefits? What are some reasons why we do it?

If your new to keeping them then maybe its a new experience but for those who have kept them from day 1 will feel absolutely normal about it.

gurmuiK roim roim hir iDAwvY ]

guramukh rom rom har dhhiaavai ||

The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body.

For this reason, it is a huge benefit.

btw, if your amritdhari, where do you tie your kirpan while swimming?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fathey!

I have faced some problems as well. Some people right after 9/11 started to look at me differently. I was 5 or 6 years old and remember the looks I got when we went back to school. It's really hard growing up as an only Sikh in the school and also being that the rest of the school is white. It took a while, but everything turned back to normal. If somebody ask's you why you keep your hair explain to them what sacrifices other Sikhs made and how they became Shaheed for us to be where we are and who we are today.

• 3 years later...

Read this Shabad slowly with full concentration and love. Focus on each and every word.

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਰੂਪ ਹੈ ਖ਼ਾਸ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸੇ ਮਹਿ ਹੌ ਕਰੌ ਨਿਵਾਸ ॥
ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਮੁਖ ਹੈ ਅੰਗਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸੇ ਕੇ ਹੌਂ ਸਦ ਸਦ ਸੰਗਾ

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਇਸ਼ਸੁਹਿਰਦ ॥ <<<Sorry for the typo, the forum doesn't support ' ' being in the foot of the '' for the word "Isht".

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਬਿਰਦ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਪਛ ਅਰ ਪਾਤਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਸੁਖ ਅਹਿਲਾਦਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਮਿੱਤਰ ਸਖਾਈ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਸੁਖਦਾਈ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੀ ਸੋਭਾ ਸੀਲਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਬੰਧ ਸਖਾ ਸਦ ਡੀਲਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਾਤ ਅਰ ਪਤ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਸੋ ਮਾ ਕੋ ਉਤਪਤ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਭਵਨ ਭੰਡਾਰਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸੇ ਕਰ ਮੇਰੋ ਸਤਿਕਾਰਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਸ੍ਵਜਨ ਪ੍ਰਵਾਰਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਕਰਤ ਉਧਾਰਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਪਿੰਡ ਪਰਾਨ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਾਨ ਕੀ ਜਾਨ ॥

ਮਾਨ ਮਹਤ ਮੇਰੀ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਸਹੀ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਸ੍ਵਾਰਥ ਸਹੀ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਰਬਾਹ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਦੇਹ ਅਰ ਸਾਹ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਧਰਮ ਅਰ ਕਰਮ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਭੇਦ ਨਿਜ ਮਰਮ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪੂਰਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਸੱਜਨ ਸੂਰਾ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਬੁਧ ਅਰ ਗਿਆਨ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸੇ ਕਾ ਹੋ ਧਰੋ ਧਿਆਨ ॥

ਉਪਮਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸੇ ਜਾਤ ਨ ਕਹੀ ॥

ਜਿਹਵਾ ਏਕ ਪਾਰ ਨਹਿ ਲਹੀ ॥

ਸੇਸ ਰਸਨ ਸਾਰਦ ਸੀ ਬੁਧਿ ॥

ਤਦਪ ਨ ਉਪਮਾ ਬਰਨਤ ਸੁਧ ॥

ਯਾ ਮੈ ਰੰਚ ਨ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਭਾਖੀ ॥

ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਖੀ ॥

ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਜੇ ਰਸਨਾ ਪਾਂਊ ॥
ਤਦਪ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਜਸ ਤਹਿ ਗਾਊਂ ॥

ਹੌ ਖ਼ਾਲਸੇ ਕੋ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ॥

ਓਤ ਪੋਤਿ ਸਾਗਰ ਬੂੰਦੇਰੋ ॥

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੀ ਫ਼ੌਜ ॥

ਪ੍ਰਗਟਿਓ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਤਮ ਕੀ ਮੌਜ ॥

ਜਬ ਲਗ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਰਹੇ ਨਿਆਰਾ ॥

ਤਬ ਲਗ ਤੇਜ ਕੀਉ ਮੈਂ ਸਾਰਾ ॥

ਜਬ ਇਹ ਗਹੈ ਬਿਪਰਨ ਕੀ ਰੀਤ ॥

ਮੈਂ ਨ ਕਰੋਂ ਇਨ ਕੀ ਪ੍ਰਤੀਤ ॥

Now ask yourself sincerely, are you Khalsa, or at the very least on the path to becoming Khalsa? Something for all of us to think about :smile2:

Dhan Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Jeeo Maharaj!!!

• 4 months later...

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh to all my dear Gursikh Phajis and Bainjis,

thank you so much, i read your post today.I forgot that i asked this question on form. beleive me pajis & bainjis,look what had happened to me. i stopped removing my chin hair since April 17th, 2013. my family did not respect my choise, humilated me whenever that got chance to say something, my mother said with piar don't do this remove it.my sister, my best friend gave huge lecture, everytime i got that ugly treatment from my apne, i cried to guru, Guru ji please save me, i was desprate to talk to amritdhari Gursikh, but i could not come across. Thanks everyone it is your ardass.

last time my sister gave me lecture and did argue with me. then i read hukmnama form online guru granth sahib ji you what it was:ang 444. shabad starts from ang. 443ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੪ ॥ ਝਿਮਿ ਝਿਮੇ ਝਿਮਿ ਝਿਮਿ ਵਰਸੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰਾ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਦਰੀ ਰਾਮੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਜਗਤ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥ ਕਲਿਜੁਗਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਬੋਹਿਥਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਰਿ ਲਘਾਈ ॥ ਹਲਤਿ ਪਲਤਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਸੁਹੇਲੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕਰਣੀ ਸਾਰੀ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਤਿ ਦਇਆ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਵੈ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਨਿਸਤਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਾਮੋ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿਆ ਦੁਖ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਨਾਸ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਚੈ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਚੈ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਮੈ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਵਾਇਆ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਰਵਿਆ ਰਾਮੁ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਪਰਮ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਈ ਜਾ ਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਆਏ ॥ ਲੋਭ ਵਿਕਾਰ ਨਾਵ ਡੁਬਦੀ ਨਿਕਲੀ ਜਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦਿੜਾਏ ॥ ਜੀਅ ਦਾਨੁ ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਦੀਆ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਏ ॥ ਆਪਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਵੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਏ ॥੨॥ {ਬਾਣੀ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਸੁਣੀ ਸਿਧਿ ਕਾਰਜ ਸਭਿ ਸੁਹਾਏ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਰੋਮੇ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮੇ ਮੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਏ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਏ ਪਵਿਤੁ ਹੋਇ ਆਏ ਤਿਸੁ ਰੂਪੁ ਨ ਰੇਖਿਆ ਕਾਈ ॥ ਰਾਮੋ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਵਿਆ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਭ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਭੂਖ ਗਵਾਈ ॥ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਸਭੁ ਹੋਆ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸਾ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਆਪਿ ਅਨੁਗ੍ਰਹੁ ਕੀਆ ਹਮ ਦਾਸਨਿ ਦਾਸਨਿ ਦਾਸਾ ॥੩॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 443}ਜਿਨੀ ਰਾਮੋ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿਆ ਸੇ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮੂੜ ਅਭਾਗੀ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਅੰਤਰੇ ਮੋਹੁ ਵਿਆਪੈ ਖਿਨੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਲਾਗੀ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਲੁ ਲਾਗੀ ਮੂੜ ਭਏ ਅਭਾਗੀ ਜਿਨ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਹ ਭਾਇਆ ॥ ਅਨੇਕ ਕਰਮ ਕਰਹਿ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੀ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਮੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਚੋਰਾਇਆ ॥ ਮਹਾ ਬਿਖਮੁ ਜਮ ਪੰਥੁ ਦੁਹੇਲਾ ਕਾਲੂਖਤ ਮੋਹ ਅੰਧਿਆਰਾ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਤਾ ਪਾਏ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰਾ ॥੪॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 443}ਰਾਮੋ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਮੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੇ ਜਾਣੈ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੂਆ ਖਿਨੁ ਊਭ ਪਇਆਲੀ ਭਰਮਦਾ ਇਕਤੁ ਘਰਿ ਆਣੈ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਮਨੁ ਇਕਤੁ ਘਰਿ ਆਣੈ ਸਭ ਗਤਿ ਮਿਤਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਮੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਰਸਾਏ ॥ ਜਨ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਰਖੈ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਾ ਪ੍ਰਹਿਲਾਦ ਉਧਾਰਿ ਤਰਾਏ ॥ ਰਾਮੋ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਮੋ ਰਮੁ ਊਚਾ ਗੁਣ ਕਹਤਿਆ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਣਿ ਭੀਨੇ ਰਾਮੈ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥੫॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 443}ਜਿਨ ਅੰਤਰੇ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਸੈ ਤਿਨ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਸਭ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਸਭਿ ਅਰਥਾ ਸਭਿ ਧਰਮ ਮਿਲੇ ਮਨਿ ਚਿੰਦਿਆ ਸੋ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਮਨ ਚਿੰਦਿਆ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਏ ॥ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਕਬੁਧਿ ਗਈ ਸੁਧਿ ਹੋਈ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਏ ॥ ਸਫਲੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਸਭੁ ਹੋਆ ਜਿਤੁ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਿਆ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਜੁ ਸਦਾ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਵਾਸਿਆ ॥੬॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 443-444}ਜਿਨ ਸਰਧਾ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਲਗੀ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਦੂਜੈ ਚਿਤੁ ਨ ਲਾਇਆ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਜੇ ਧਰਤੀ ਸਭ ਕੰਚਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਦੀਜੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਭਾਇਆ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਇਆ ਪਰਮ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਅੰਤਿ ਚਲਦਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ਸਖਾਈ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਧਨੁ ਪੂੰਜੀ ਸੰਚੀ ਨਾ ਡੂਬੈ ਨਾ ਜਾਈ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਇਸੁ ਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਤੁਲਹਾ ਜਮਕਾਲੁ ਨੇੜਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਪਛਾਤਾ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਆਪਿ ਮਿਲਾਵੈ ॥੭॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 444}

Gurufateh ji

From my blog: http://back2sikhi.blogspot.com/2010/02/getting-used-to-gazes.html. Please comment on what you think - what are some challenges to keeping hair in the West? Benefits? Why do we do it?

When people ask me about my long hair, I tell them that I have never cut it because of my religion.

That is true about the hair on my head, but not about the hair elsewhere on my body. That is - I have shaved, waxed, and threaded. Does this make me a bad person?

I am not sure. Clearly, 98% of the rest of "my world" - particularly the females - remove their body hair. And most of these people are not, necessarily, "bad".

Do I feel guilty about it? To be honest - not really. It was something I went through to fit in. But my actions were still in line with Sikhi: nam japna, vand chakna, kirt karni.

About 2 years ago, after much meditation, I slowly stopped these hair-removing processes. It wasn't something that I woke up and immediately decided. It just kind of happened. And with Guru's grace, I have been entirely okay with it.

The only thing that has taken some getting used to is the stares. I generally keep my body covered, but I also like to swim. My swimming suit, if you will, involves shorts and a t-shirt. A lot of people - especially women - stare at my legs. It's as though they are willing me to feel bad about my choice to keep my hair.

Yet I do not give in to their desire to make me feel ashamed. I actually find my choice liberating and motivating, not to mention economical. Sikhs are supposed to be leaders - leaders do not care about what other people think when they know what they are doing in their heart is right. I am also saving money on these "cosmetic supplies" - money that adds up when you notice that the "treatments" are lifelong. Is there a reason that our hair keeps growing back no matter how much we try to stop it? Why not give in to the way Waheguru has made our bodies?

The most exciting part about this, however, is the opportunities it brings up to educate my brothers and sisters. When I catch people, especially children, staring at me, I look back and smile. If these people ask me questions, I have this golden chance to explain to people that I am a Sikh, and talk about the basic principles of our religion.

Several years ago, when I did shave my legs, I did not have this confidence. Now, ironically, when I am subject to public scrutiny, I do believe - in myself, in humanity, in Waheguru.

dil khush ho gya g...........rabb kare har sikh aurat thavade wang soche...... sab toh waddi gal hundi a commitment karni....te ae sarya nu pta va ..commitment deni koi sokhi gal nai...