Who Is Panthic?

AK-47

How many times in the last few years have you heard the phrase 'Panthic jathebandi', or 'panthic conference' or 'panthic singhs', or 'panthic issues'.?

Have you ever wondered what this actually meant? If there are 'Panthic' parties and groups, then are there 'anti-panthic' ones as well? Do they advertise their events as 'Anti-panthic jathebandi conference' ? Chances are that they use the same wording as well and consider the other to be the anti panthic ones!! Sometimes certain groups are seen as panthic on some issues and not on others, so they must be 'part time panthic jathebandia'!

Anyway my question is as follows; What do you think it means to be Panthic?

What is a panthic person meant to be like?

What is the purpose of a panthic group or person? What is this word which everyone uses alll the time about?

Your thoughts please.

there is a "panthic conference" usually held every year at a certain GuruGhar - i know i'm being very judgmental but the dudes standing next to the stage.. it was like a khalistani dole queue with each person lining up willing to sell their soul for a siropa, kursi or their 5 seconds of fame.

if a person or group questions any Gurbani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj or Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji can they really put the interests of the panth first?

these subgroups & cliques that need to create hatred between Sikhs to justify their existence..

by definition can they really put the interests of the panth first?

maybe we just need to focus on our own selves & the solution will come from there.

sorry to not answer your question - kinda gone off on a tangent laugh.gif

Totally my own views, not effected by any jathebandi or group.

I think, Panthic person or jathebandi is who/which connects you to Guru dee bani, follows, reads, understands it as well.

Does Nitnem and follows SIKH Rehat (now you will ask what sikh Rehat, as there are many created by all jathebandis ??).

The Gianyis or pandits of today, who make you go round and round, and talk and talk, but have not taken amrit, don't keep kesh, dont care about the bajjar kurehits, and are not having nimrta, filled with anger, ready to spew venom on you, change the jethebandiya keeping an eye on maya they get, are anti-panthic.

I do not listen to people who claim to have knowledge of SIKHI,but don't put it to practice. In my eyes they are pandits only.

If the bani you read didn't give you humility so far, and you are lost in finding right and wrong still, you are anti-panthic too (btw, not directed at the poster, I mean average reader, including myself).

If reading one shabad of Gurbani, doesn't give you feeling to read more and understand it, what are you learning anyways??

If you read, understand and don't follow what Gurbani says, what do you think what part of you makes you panthic??

Good replies

I remember as a kid and a teenager, that a Panthic person or group was someone who supported the notion of Khalistan. It was as simple as that! If you were pro khalistan you were panthic, if you wernt then you were against the panth. But that was then and this is now.

Now the panthic jathebandia have forgotten khalistan and need new things to fight over. Some of the groups that do still talk about khalistan are just making noise and doing nothing in the real sense. If we listen to Baba Manochahal when he talks about panthic jathebandia in his speeches, who is he talking about? I think he'd be talking about those who were willing to lay down everything they had for the sake of the panth. Including their possesions, families and their own lives. They had their belief in what was good for the panth i.e. independance and were willing to die for their belief. Is the left over panthic mob willing to do the same for their panthic agendas?

The word has been used and abused and is now just something that we can use to put down other people who dont agree with our views. This weekend is an embarrasment, we have 2 panthic meetings happening, one in coventry and one in wolves. Both are 'panthic' both will claim to be doing best for the panth and both will (directly or indirectly) say that the other side is working for anti-panthic agencies! What a complete joke we have become!!

We have become soo dumbed down that we just dont seem to think. Penji above gave a brilliant response to what panthic means. How many panthic gatherings are there to develop programmes to promote the reading of gurbani, how many times have the 'panthic lobby' got together to actually help the generation of sikhs who are lost with a confused identity.

Panthic, panthic, panthic. I dont think it means much these days at all.

Panthic, panthic, panthic. I dont think it means much these days at all.

Panthic, that should have a meaning to an individual.

The question should be "Am I panthic"?

And if you can answer yes, see what makes you panthic.

Do you connect people in general or break them apart?

do you connect them to Guru's bani?

Do you like to get out of your computer chair and actually do something to help the poor or community in general?

Do you follow Ist Guru's commands of "naam jap, kir kar te vand chhuk" at all ?

Do Guru Nanak and all the Guru's after Ist Guru seem like same roop (light) to you, just changing bodies?

Do you believe in Guru Gobind Singh jee and all other gurus as much as you believe in Guru Nanak Dev jee?

Do you follow your father (esp. Guru Gobind Singh jee) as much as you agree with what HE commanded us to do?

Do you really see light of all 10 gurus in Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee??

Does reading what you reading gives peace to you and makes you want to apply in your daily life?

Do you feel your life changed at all since you have been reading/listening Gurubani and in general about SIKHI?

Do you agree with people reading more and more bani or you are looking for shortcuts as some tell you?

and above all, do you feel like SIKHI principles should change with your lifestyle or are you willing to change yourself according to SIKHI principles?

This is just few points to consider. So have your panthic or antipanthic test first. Choose the group you are standing in. I am writing above comments because mostly people I come in contact with (and I know majority is like that), they agree with so many things in sikhi and they wanna discuss about them. But when it comes to apply, they go like, oh my lifestyle doesn't allow this or that. Really check. is it your lifestyle or your monkey mind? Guru jee ne kiha hai, man jeete jag jeet. Most of our fights are between us and our mind. We don't really have much struggle with outside world. So we like to come on forums, discuss. We like to have glass of wine in hand and talk about what Guru Gobind singh jee did for SIKHS but when it comes to follow what Guru Gobind singh jee said, then we have our own arguments. Personally, my battle stops, when I say to myself, "Am I smarter than Guru Sahib to pick and choose", and I always get answer back "No, not at all". I get my answer right away. But most of us, don't. They really think they are smarter than Guru Sahib. or the ones who think they are good sikhs, they have argument saying,"yeah, I agree with Gurubani/Guru Sahib, but I don't do it, becasue I am not strong". Well, here you are again letting your monkey mind take over again. Monkey mind don't want to follow the word of Gurus, so says "I am weak" and you fall in the trap and for long long time, you are being Sahejdhari or you have your own notion to SIKHI.

And then I have one more comment to make, today's youth is tomorrow's leaders. So don' t be yourself, what you don't like in leaders of today or other people we pick on.

We have to be panthic ourselves first, only then we can think panthic and only listen and follow the crowd which is panthic and go deaf to groups who are not panthic.

Every leader or parcharak does need followers. If we eliminate ourselves from the list of followers, we did do our part in decreasing the anti-panthic activities. Didn't we??

Just to mention, above comments are not written based on one single person (before you take it personally), but at the same time, I would want you to take it pesonally as thats the only way we feel the slap Gurbani gives us with every word, which we listen to and then just ignore, as we think it doesn't apply to us.