Is Love Forbidden In Sikhi?

SinghniKaur

I would like to believe that Love, compassion, understanding, friendship, amongst other positive feelings are exactly what is necessary by us to live a life in Rising Spirit. Note, attachment, and discerning affection are different things. We give our affection to our loved ones, because we have been endowed to protect them, care for them, share joy with them, grow with them, and obtain God Union with them. A wise person, or a sage only can understand the Gurbani quotes given above.

i don't usually do this on forums but '+1' lol

alright it doesn't say about gf/bf thing, but everyone else has mentioned how that is not in accordance with sikhi.

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh SinghniKaur

If you are talking as Singh# above says in terms of sexual relationships outside of marriage, then I think this is quiet clear in Sikhi - its forbidden...

If you are talking about the love/affection you show your family, your friends or others close to you then I think there is nothing wrong with that. I'd probably be bit worried if you didnt...

I think it gets a little confusing when it comes to attachment. Yes, you are going to be attached to those around you but too much attachment is maybe not a good thing, basically what I mean by that is that you should try and remember that it is Vaheguru who put them here and when Vaheguru decides to take them back or move them on we should try and stay within His Will and stay in Chardi Kala.

Love is Marriage as per Sikhism.

I blame todays parents for creating all the trouble by not marrying kids ON TIME.

There was no need for talk in olden days, the bond of love developed NATURALLY after marriage.

Moral values, integrity and honesty were most important characteristics to look for in a match.

Nowdays it's all about Maya and lust.

Frankly one must wait till a certain age and let parents fulfill their responsibility (i.e child's marriage).

If they don't then it's better not to depend on them, find a suitable person ready for marriage, no other !

• 2 months later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

No, love is not forbidden - love all as your brothers/sisters/mother/father. When you get married, love your spouse, don't get into pangey outside of marriage.

The greatest love is reserved for Waheguru.

Hope this helps.

GurFateh Ji x

yeh thats fine... thank for hlping!!=D

GurFateh Ji x

Yeah love is not forbidden but weird things like momentary lustrous attraction in the name

of love is not advisable . Not in any faith of the world .

We can be in unison with the creater by loving him only.

What in sufism is termed as Ishq mijaji is worldly love and Ishq hakiki is love with God

The milloin dollar question is what actually love is? love as widely accepted by the Gianis

and Sants , is caring and giving without expectation in return .

If we can indulge in such Love , yes it is already advised by the learned .it is first step towards the

Bhakti

boyfriend and girlfriend is completely wrong in SIkhi and must not be entered into. And everyone is to be treated as brothers, sisters, Father, mother and once your married you have ONE spouse.

Only the love between Satguru and the soul is true, every other love is false. Yes even the love between two married people, unless they both are united and love with the love of satguru. The love of satguru has no hatred and no fear no enemy no lust no anger no maya whatsoever. If you can love your spouse in this way then it's called love.

Don't get stuck at we are just humans and have needs. This is the maya infront of your eyes where you can't see you're not a human, but apart of something bigger and your true identity is mool mantar.

Hi Singhni Ji,

Personally I don't know if it is forbidden in Sikhi, but the majority of the sanget seem to think so.

In my humble opinon I don't think GOD would ever be upset/ annoyed / disappointed with someone if they fell in love with someone else. Why would GOD - he is all loving the creator! However if you hated or had bad intentions towards someone then maybe GOD would not be pleased.

I have read some of the posts and, oh come on if you have a b/f or g/f they don't be on your mind 24/7. If you pray i'm sure you do it with 100% concentration. It's like anything else in life you can not think about Waheguru 24/7 it is impossible sometimes you have to concentrate your mind elsewhere.

As for your parents finding your match, there are many cases of arranged marriages even of Amritdhari couples breaking up or divorcing.

Sorry to offend anyone out there but if you have a g/f or b/f you know them very well before you take the descison to marry. Whereas with many arranged marriages the couple meet a few times, after being married they sleep in the same bedroom / bed. (NOT saying anything else happens ONLY SLEEPING). So I'm very sorry if from my western upbringing I fell that it is better to get to know someone before commting to spend the rest of your life with them.

Also someone commented on only having 1 spouse in Sikhi, I do not think it is written anywhere that this is true. It can not be, as many Sikhs who are held in high esteem by the panth i.e. Baba Banda Singh Bahadur & Maharaja Ranjit Singh had more than one wife. I know many people have their views both good and bad about these Sikhs. But you can not argue with the fact that our great Guru's 6th and 10th also had more than 1 spouse.

Please forgive me if I have offended anyone here. I have just stated my personal believes.