Sign in to follow this  
.- Prabhjot Singh -.

Howto Digitise Gurbani Books

NavtejS    2

for those that are willing to take on a challenge, follow the website (diybookscanner.org) and build a complete scanner. this device holds the book upright in a V shape (not facedown) and is designed to be used with two cameras, one taking a picture of the page on the opposing side.

for someone that will be digitizing numerous books, something like this will save enormous amounts of time, and make the job much easier to complete.

dalsingh101    410

I've taken a bunch of images of books I want to turn into an ebook. Is there any free software I can use to create a pdf from all the images (which run into the hundreds)?

dalsingh101    410

Thank ju bery much bhai ji. The downloading button on the page doesn't seen to work though???

Bloomin' 'eck, how irritating is that! lol

SikhiStore    43

For any books that are in English, I'd highly recommend that you use some OCR software that can 'read' the text and then save as an ePub file.

This ebook then has searchable text, bookmarking, remembers which page you were on, allows highlighting, chapters etc etc. It is the standard format amongst things like the Kindle and mobile devices.

jpsingh2    92

Singh Sahib Je I didnt think that there is any OCR for Punjabi is out but then I found out about this http://ildc.in/Punjabi/pun_ocr.htm I still need to fool around with it though.

When making PDFs I think we should take the extra two minutes and add Metadata so when people read on their readers and tablets eg the title wont show up as "Microsoft Word - JOTIRAO TEXT new.doc" and some random persons name in the author. The Windows program BeCyPDFMetaEdit seems to work fine for me and also Automator on Mac does the job too.

WJKK WJKFF!

tuhintuhin    621

"Scanner Pro" app for iphone is another option. It's free. It makes the pdf file, and can compress the size to some extent, easy to use.

Just take pictures, save them and email.

Edited by tuhintuhin